Ok heres what it is

my dad was screwing around with my amp and pedal and my sound sucks now, cant remember how I got the old sound, it was awesome, tryed fixing it for ages but i cant get a good metal sound, i had a very megadethy, pantera sound.

I play a dave mustaine DV8R

amp is a line 6 Spider 2

using a Boss GT-8 pedal

i heard stuff about if I put my amp to clean (I think my father has it on "Insane" lol) and keep a good heavy sound on my pedal

also any ideas for gain, bass, treble etc? for both amp and pedal

any help would be greatly appreciated
Id recomend on the amp itself as i have one
gain 3/4 bass 1/2 NO Treble About 1/4 or 1/2 of Mid
Your amp, completely clean (no distortion) Gain, bass, treble halfway

And then try stuff with your GT-8
Dude, have you tried the 4 cable method with the GT8. If you have an FX loop in the line six, which i'm pretty sure it does, then it is possible to use both the sounds with the amp and the ones with the gt8 at the same time.

You need 4 cables funny enough. You go from
Guitar---> Boss GT8 guitar input
Boss GT8 FX loop send---> amplifier front input (not the fx loop in at the back of the amp!!!)
Amp FX send--->GT8 FX loop return
Boss GT8 Main out (left/mono speaker output)--->amp FX loop return

Hopefully this should help, here is a link to another forum about that as well

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678044

I know it doesn't help with the metal problem, but it should help in the future, it works a treat for me.

hope it was useful.
Put all the knobs at 5 (12 o'clock) and try working from there
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
get a decent amp, it'll sound better.

sorry, if you really want to try to get a pantera sound out of your amp you just scoop your mids like you'll never be able to do it again and turn up the gain. that's as far as you'll get with a SS amp.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
get a decent amp, it'll sound better.

sorry, if you really want to try to get a pantera sound out of your amp you just scoop your mids like you'll never be able to do it again and turn up the gain. that's as far as you'll get with a SS amp.

He said he liked his tone. That's all that really matters.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
"get a decent amp, it'll sound better."

Y is that always people solution to someone elses problem. Some of us arn't made of ****ing money and can't afford to blow £800 on a new amp just for a better sound.

i hate it when i have a problem with my sound and people say get a new amp. thats not what I asked for retards.

answer the problem or don't ****ing answer at all.
Quote by acdcrock2000
"get a decent amp, it'll sound better."

Y is that always people solution to someone elses problem. Some of us arn't made of ****ing money and can't afford to blow £800 on a new amp just for a better sound.

i hate it when i have a problem with my sound and people say get a new amp. thats not what I asked for retards.

answer the problem or don't ****ing answer at all.

If you look at my post, I did. I told him that his amp will be a barrier in trying to recreate the sound of pantera's guitarist, who used a tube amp, but nevertheless gave him a few suggestions on how to achieve something close to his tone.

Read the post you're flaming or don't ****ing talk.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
If you look at my post, I did. I told him that his amp will be a barrier in trying to recreate the sound of pantera's guitarist, who used a tube amp, but nevertheless gave him a few suggestions on how to achieve something close to his tone.

dime? tube? not until he used krank, pretty sure the randalls were solid state
Quote by cds+stereo=life

He used SS amps. And no offense, but Dime's tone is terrible IMO.

Not too sure about your problem TS, but why was your dad screwing with your settings?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic