Okay, so I want to be in a band ... whenever I participate in a band I always seem to change my mind on what music I want to play... yes, I could play a variety of stuff but most bands I've been in want to stick to one genre.

So, I'm a guitarist and very well known in my school for my guitar skills, amongst teachers and pupils, my tutor and music teacher both think I could easily have a career in music but like I said .... I dont know what genre to play

any suggestions on what to do?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
play whatever feels right
if you can change it into your style

i believe they call that genre "experimental"
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Quote by Freunleven
Just play. Let your personality, your "essence" if you will, just flow out through your guitar. Genres are far too limiting.

yeh, but if i write something with a band they'll say thats not goth, thats too punk or thats not indie thats too grunge or thats not metal thats hard blues... so whenever im in a band they always complain im not playing their genre
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
then you start a band, instead of just joining one. go pound the pavement and look for other people to join you and making it obvious that you cant be limited to a genre
Quote by dmiwshicldply
then you start a band, instead of just joining one. go pound the pavement and look for other people to join you and making it obvious that you cant be limited to a genre

+1

I'm sure out of all those other bands, there must be one drummer and one bassist who would consider working with you as a sort of "side project" from their other bands.

Don't get caught up on labels . . . . or personalities, for that matter. If you have to, get Audacity and Hydrogen, record all the guitar and bass parts yourself, and put out your own demo album to attract band members.

Quote by Freunleven
+1

I'm sure out of all those other bands, there must be one drummer and one bassist who would consider working with you as a sort of "side project" from their other bands.

Don't get caught up on labels . . . . or personalities, for that matter. If you have to, get Audacity and Hydrogen, record all the guitar and bass parts yourself, and put out your own demo album to attract band members.

well luckily i can play bass, guitar, drums and sing to a decent extent...

i have loads of guitar and lyrics written already so i could easily do all the parts and just post em on bebo/myspace to attract people will do this me thinks
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
i have loads of guitar and lyrics written already so i could easily do all the parts and just post em on bebo/myspace to attract people will do this me thinks

Don't forget to post 'em here, too . . . .
I was going to suggest going the one/two man band route. I've had this disagreement with bands before, but luckily the band I'm in now is open to different genres of music.
Quote by Freunleven
Don't forget to post 'em here, too . . . .

i think ive posted one of my songs here the frozen i believe :P
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by dmiwshicldply

This.

If you're gonna make a demo, make it heavy funky proggy jazzy reggae metal. Then they'll know that you won't be tied down to one genre.

Or, they could just not join - who'd join a heavy funky proggy jazzy reggae metal band anyway >.>

Yeah, start your own band with like minded friends.