I was watching the Obama thing and it said i needed a licence to do it. I have one but was thinking of cancelling it to watch online.

Is this true and how the hell could they catch you watching a program online?!?
Last edited by Caparisoner at Nov 10, 2008,
The BBC has a database with every address in the UK listed on it. There is a checkmark against each address which tells them if you have a TV license or not.
A TV license? lol.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MightyAl
The BBC has a database with every address in the UK listed on it. There is a checkmark against each address which tells them if you have a TV license or not.

You dont understand...how can they physically check that you are watching TV on a computer? Also how can they differentiate between a youtube video and an iplayer vid?
Quote by MedicreDemon
A TV license? lol.

No ad breaks, no political spin, no quest for ratings.
Quote by MedicreDemon
A TV license? lol.

Yes, it's what prevents adverts being on the BBC.
Pretty sure they have a database for this sort of thing. They don't have adverts, they have this instead.
Quote by Stormx
No ad breaks, no political spin, no quest for ratings.

I'd disagree with the last 2 of your points. The BBC has been shown to be politically biased(what do you expect when they only advertise jobs in the Guardian?), and produces programming in direct competition with commercial stations in pursuit of ratings.
Quote by Caparisoner
You dont understand...how can they physically check that you are watching TV on a computer? Also how can they differentiate between a youtube video and an iplayer vid?
You access their website and view their content they see your IP address.
Quote by Caparisoner

Because they can trace your IP when you're using iPlayer. Also, since it's illegal to watch TV online without a license, your home could be raided, and your computer confiscated, which would allow them to find out.
Quote by Caparisoner

I suppose if they wanted to they could cross refference your IP address with a list of IPs that have used their site... Actually it would be quite easy for them to catch you.

EDIT: Too late
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
I prefer no adverts, I prefer better programming then other channels (as ITV is sh!t - complete crap, channel 4 is good, as its partially paid for by the license, right?), better news reporting (Sky News sucks compared to BBC News), etc.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It's only illegal to watch live programs on your computer without a tv licence.
My finger's on the pulse
(but where's the beat?)
Quote by MightyAl
Because they can trace your IP when you're using iPlayer. Also, since it's illegal to watch TV online without a license, your home could be raided, and your computer confiscated, which would allow them to find out.

Wow the bbc can raid your house
Quote by Caparisoner
Wow the bbc can raid your house

Yes, and they can raid your rectum, too.
Look out!
Quote by MightyAl
Yes, and they can raid your rectum, too.
Look out!

Thanks for the personal account your experience is invaluable.
Quote by Caparisoner
Thanks for the personal account your experience is invaluable.

Actually, I raid rectums FOR the BBC. It's really quite good fun.