Okay, so this weekend, my band got together to play, anyways, we start playing and around the end our third, our drummer stops and says he's getting some bad pain in the left part of his head, behind his ear. So we stop and take a break for the day, the next day we get back together for another round of practice, and again he gets a headache in the same place around the 2nd song we played.

So I'm wondering, is he possibly getting hearing damage/headaches? He recently bought a new kit for hard rock/metal thats about 20-30dB louder then his old kit, and it also has a really loud double kick pedal, could buying a much louder kit lead to him having sound related headaches? He doesn't have a history of headaches or anything, and he figured it was either related to the loudness or his heart rate getting high, because each time we got a headache, it was in the same place after a few songs, right when he was getting warmed up/high heart rate.

Anyways, is this a cause to worry? He doesn't have any previous health problems, though he is about 20-30 lbs overweight, and doesn't exercise a whole lot, do you think these headaches are from loudness, or do you think they could be something more serious?

I mean, other then hearing damage, are there any other major health risks from being a drummer in a fairly loud band? He doesn't have a family history of migraines/brain tumors or anything, he is also 13 years old and has been going through alot of growth/puberty, and according to him his older brother got headaches like his around that age.
Earplugs. Get them they are a life saver.
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Yeah, he was gonna get some earplugs/headphones to wear, and maybe take some stuff off his kit to make it quieter.
He shouldn't be playing drums with out ear defenders / plugs anyway.

Make sure he gets some and if it carries on, get him to see a doctor
I was kidding - but no they're not. It's a weakness in an artery or vein that can rupture. It's often fatal. Anyway, it's probably not that - but I seriously doubt that the volume of the music would cause a pain in the same part of his head each time. It might just be muscle strain if he's trying very hard and isn't relaxed. He could be tensing up his muscles if he's trying to hit hard. But it's impossible for us to know. Maybe he should see a doctor if it continues.
Hmm, his new kit is alot louder and alot tougher to play, plus hes been using a double pedal alot, I guess that could cause muscle strains. But yeah, I doubt he has an Aneurysm, he doesn't show other symptoms of that and he had a big doctor check up like 5 months ago that showed he was fine.

Edit: I think a muscle strain might be it, the first time he got it was during the end of Iron Man, which is very tough on drums, its pretty much pounding on the kettle for a minute or two straight, and the next time he got it was in the song Keep'em Seperated by the Offspring, another fast tough song.

Next time we play, we'll play some softer stuff and see if he has the problem again.
Im going to say its probably muscle strains but if he's got a loud professional drumkit to play rock on he should be investing in some earplugs.
Quote by MadAudioMan
Yeah, he was gonna get some earplugs/headphones to wear, and maybe take some stuff off his kit to make it quieter.

And why would removing stuff make it quieter??? You said it was the bass drum that was really loud as well as the kit in general...

Just get earplugs...
His kit has drums with heads on both sides, this to my knowledge makes it louder, also you can dampen cymbals/drums/bass drums with pillows, duct tape on the heads and many other things.
if its in his head, the only reason why it would be muscle strain is if he is grinding his teeth or chewing his toung or something. tell him he needs to try to relax a bit while playing, cuz tension in the muscles can cause problems later on. if i relate it to other musicians that muscles tension is more common in such as guitarists/bassists or maybe vocalists, sometimes people use the wrong technique and tense up the muscles in their wrists and fingers (guitarists) or their neck (vocalists) and it can cause serious injury.

i'm not a doctor but i doubt that loud noise would cause pain in only one ear, so i have a feeling its not that (although ear plugs is still a very good idea considering he's only 13).

P.S: just something i found funny: an overweight drummer? does he not practice often?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Last edited by Dunjma at Nov 12, 2008,
My drummer wrote his name in his own blood on his drum set.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Make him take headache medicine 20 minutes before you guys start playing, your music might suck.. giving him a major headache?!
He doesn't practice alot, pretty much the only time he plays is when we practice, he very good for not getting to play more then 2-4 hours a week. But yeah, I've noticed his face and upper body seem pretty tense when playing, so he's gonna take some pain pills before playing, try and loosen and where some ear protection, that should probably help...
yea tension is bad. very bad. it can cause some serious injury, so try and get him to cut that out or he may not be your drummer for too much longer..
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
You should all where earplugs. Especially at that age. You can get permanent hearing damage that will make you think you have an electric drill in your head 24/7.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by Silent_Jester13
My drummer wrote his name in his own blood on his drum set.

What's he called?

Y'see, if he's called something like 'Bob' then he's a pussy, but if he's called something like William, Archebold, Rachmaninoff, he's a hard man, especially if he's written it on every drum in the biggest letters that will fit.
get ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones and muff his bass and snare and stuff. not only does it sound better but you get rid of alot of eccsess noise
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Okay, we got it stopped, so anyways, we go to practice, hes got some earplugs and a set of headphones on and his drums are dampened by some pieces of fabric taped to them, we get to playing and he still complains on a slight headache around his left ear, so we look around, and I notice my bass amp is pretty much pointed directly at the left side of his head... >_> So, we move that and continue and his headache stops...

Apparently he already had some damage to his left ear from a bad ear infection as a kid, so the bass amp point at his head was strong enough to give him a bad earache. So, problems solved. Atleast he doesn't have a tumor/aneurysm...
Quote by MadAudioMan
Okay, we got it stopped, so anyways, we go to practice, hes got some earplugs and a set of headphones on and his drums are dampened by some pieces of fabric taped to them, we get to playing and he still complains on a slight headache around his left ear, so we look around, and I notice my bass amp is pretty much pointed directly at the left side of his head... >_> So, we move that and continue and his headache stops...

Apparently he already had some damage to his left ear from a bad ear infection as a kid, so the bass amp point at his head was strong enough to give him a bad earache. So, problems solved. Atleast he doesn't have a tumor/aneurysm...

wow...
Quote by MadAudioMan

Hmmmmm. *looks at bass amp pointing away from our drummer*
I wonder..... *turns bass amp to point directly at drummer's testicles*
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 20, 2008,