My buddy and I each have acoustic guitars and we've each been playing for about a year. The only difference is that his guitar strings are much closer to the fretboard, making his guitar a lot easier to play. Is there a standard distance? Also, are there any ways to make my strings closer to the fretboard or should i just grow some balls and keep trying?

thx
this is called action, and yes it is normal that one guitar has different action then another. Dependiing on your guitar, you may be able to change the action from the bridge, most likely not because it is an acoustic

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
As the above poster said, an acoustic usually doesn't have anything specifically designed to change your action. Rather, the only thing that allows it to vary on a given guitar is the balance of string tension and truss rod tension, which determines how concave the neck is.

Look up some of the literature about neck relief and truss rod adjustment.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Action can easily be adjusted on acoustic guitars.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

A kind of standard action measurement is 3/32 of an inch. To identify action you measure from the top of the 12th fret wire to the bottom of the low E string. Some players prefer higher or lower than 3/32" depending on playing style.
Do not touch your truss rod in order to adjust the action. That is asking for disaster.

Action can be changed by sanding down the saddle, but do not attempt it unless you know what you're doing.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
thanks a lot guys, its been really helpful. im not quite sure if i want to go sanding away, but we'll see.
Quote by jimtaka
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Action can easily be adjusted on acoustic guitars.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

Yea, that's what I'm talking about.

Also, if your guitar happens to be a cheap piece of junk (like my 1st guitar was) you might be facing another problem > unequal height of independent strings. My guitar had nylon strings and if I remember well the 1st 3 strings were hanging WAY higher above the fretboard than the last 3, which made it really hard to switch from the 3d string to the forth. So I had to deepen the cavities in the bridge that hold the higher strings in their position in order for the strings to be more or less equally aligned.

Now keep in mind that lowering the action will not only make your playing easier, it might also make you lazy because you'll need to exercise less force when playing a note (and especially a barre chord) so make sure you don't overdo it, also because the lower the action, the higher the chance of buzzing frets and such

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by captivate
Do not touch your truss rod in order to adjust the action. That is asking for disaster.

Action can be changed by sanding down the saddle, but do not attempt it unless you know what you're doing.

Isn't the saddles intonation? I used the truss rod to give me some action. Has been fine for a over year.
Quote by TSelman
Isn't the saddles intonation? I used the truss rod to give me some action. Has been fine for a over year.

They do both in acoustic guitars. The contact point with the strings change intonation. The saddle height, as a whole, will change the action. Truss rods are purely for bowing problems.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.