I've been playing guitar for about 17 years now. I can play just about anything I have tab for and a fair amount by ear. I've played enough blues-y stuff that I can improvise blues well enough to seem like a real musician. But I'm not...

I know nothing about music theory. Nothing. I realize this issue probably comes up fairly often and that's why this forum has a FAQ, but I'm too retarded at music theory to even get by with that guide.

Ideally, I would like to find a music theory class at a local college/university (I live in Santa Monica). I checked the SMCC and UCLA websites, but didn't find anything for the upcoming Winter '09 quarter. Am I missing something? Can anyone recommend a good place in the area to learn theory (ideally targeted for guitarists)?

Alternatively, I need a very good book. I have that Guitar Grimoire book at home. I bought it years ago, tried to use it as a learning aid for a couple hours, and gave up. I felt like it was more of a quick reference for people who already know this stuff than a from-the-basics tutorial. I need something better. Ideally, I'd like something that digs a little into the math and science behind it all so I'm not just memorizing scales, but instead am learning why they are what they are.

Thanks for your help.
i leanrt stuff from here, and scales, it easier if u no the notes of each fret
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
3 links that everyone gets

Crusade Articles by Josh Urban

http://ultimate-guitar.com/home/con...&filter=columns

That's all his things but The Crusades are called Crusades.

Free Power various

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Freepower/

Go through the videos in his profile, the links in his signature so look at one of his posts.

BanGoodCharlotte

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/bangoodcharlote/

The link in the bottom of her signature is always recommended.

Also Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory is a good start its relatively cheap on Amazon and if you sign up and get approved for one of their Credit
I started my theory training at the lessons section of UG. I just started a music theory class at Seattle Central community college, and thanks to my training here, I was miles ahead of the rest of the class. I still use the lessons section here, There's so much to learn there, its a great place to start.
Quote by JamesDouglas
+1

A great lesson by slashpwns (sp?). It taught me everything, basically.

Quote by jreikes
I've been playing guitar for about 17 years now. I can play just about anything I have tab for and a fair amount by ear. I've played enough blues-y stuff that I can improvise blues well enough to seem like a real musician. But I'm not...
Knowing music theory doesn't make you a real musician. It's the attitude. Atleast that's what I like to think.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
+1

A great lesson by slashpwns (sp?). It taught me everything, basically.

Knowing music theory doesn't make you a real musician. It's the attitude. Atleast that's what I like to think.

So far that lesson is the best I've read. I'm still going through it...

As for the attitude making the musian... it's pretty hard for me to pull off the rockstar attitude in my business casual office. That's why I'm trying to work on the music theory to bolster my position as a "real" musician despite the lack of tattoos or cool man jewelry :-P
Quote by jreikes
As for the attitude making the musian... it's pretty hard for me to pull off the rockstar attitude in my business casual office. That's why I'm trying to work on the music theory to bolster my position as a "real" musician despite the lack of tattoos or cool man jewelry :-P

I have no tatoos or piercings either, I try to substitute with awesome Rock stances on stage, stuff like that. And also, nothing says "I'm a rocker and i don't give a f%@*" like taking shots on stage while sustaining a power chord
I am a Rocker; I Rock out!
(Semicolons ftw)
Quote by jreikes

Ideally, I would like to find a music theory class at a local college/university (I live in Santa Monica). I checked the SMCC and UCLA websites, but didn't find anything for the upcoming Winter '09 quarter. Am I missing something? Can anyone recommend a good place in the area to learn theory (ideally targeted for guitarists)?

That may be the problem, do you actually want it for next winter?
Ya, your basically going to get 4 links here on UG, all of which have been mentioned. There all good, just teach things in different ways, personally I think The Crusade is best to start with, as it explains things in an easy to follow manner. ..I basically just said what has already been explained multiple times. I shall now go be un helpful somewhere else. w00!
When your lying in your bedroom, I hope you say a prayer...
...cause when I get to heaven, I wanna see you there.
Quote by 12345abcd3
That may be the problem, do you actually want it for next winter?

Generally speaking, schools start their "Winter" quarters after the first of the year. So right now we're in the Fall '08 quarter and the next academic quarter is Winter '09.
Quote by jreikes
Generally speaking, schools start their "Winter" quarters after the first of the year. So right now we're in the Fall '08 quarter and the next academic quarter is Winter '09.

I see, we only have three terms - autum, spring and summer so I assumed winter would work like autum, sorry.