Hey, This is like the third thread I've made about my new amp...it's having a problem and I think it's tube related. The amp is a Carvin Legacy.

The original guy who owned the head cut out the tube stabilizers because the tubes he wanted to put it in already had their own stabilizers (they were old, apparently before amps had tube stabilizers, the stabilizers were on the tubes). The amp feeds back a lot if I turn it up to about 2 (pretty loud for jamming at home, but it sounds better, and I wear earplugs).

When I tap on the top of the head, it makes a similar sound, it's like a rattling noise. When the guitar volume is on and I stop playing, it either feeds back right away, or it starts to make the rattling noise and then feeds back. Keep in mind this is only on the lead channel. When on the clean channel, I hear a similar rattling noise, but it doesn't feed back.

Is this a tube problem? If so, is there anything I could construct at home to stabilize the tubes? (I.e. cut out some foam to put around the tubes or something similar, like my old Fender had)

EDIT: I just tried the obvious "stand farther from the amp", and it helped, but the rattling noise is still there. This is also audible if I have the volume on the guitar turned down most of the way and play.

Thanks.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Nov 10, 2008,
tap the tubes. do they make noise? You may need new tubes, are these power or preamp tubes that the stabilizers were on?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the feedback thing is probably just a normal thing...

Does it have a reverb tank? theres a good chance the rattling is coming from the tank
Yeah, it's got a reverb tank. The stabilizers were on the poweramp tubes. I've tapped them, and they just make the same noise, but not as severe.

It might be the reverb tank, though.

thanks
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Double post in own thread....one of the tubes sounds different if i shake it gently. Luckily, the 50w setting runs on 2 out of the 4 tubes. I can live with it for now, but I'll probably get it checked out and replaced soon.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile