EDIT: Now I just need to know which one I shud get first... Can you guys enlighten me?

Oh yeah, could you guys give me some rock songs that have good clear basslines, sort of like highway star by deep purple, and/or stuff like walk idiot walk by the hives.

I'll add some more questions later if I need to...

Oh bugger that wasn't short was it...
Last edited by Lollage123 at Nov 11, 2008,
If you're starting out I'd recommend investing more in your bass/guitar. You can always upgrade your amp later and learning on a good instrument will make it more enjoyable.

I would say go for bass, but I'm kinda bias.

As for songs with good basslines, check out Primus and Tool.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
^I agree with the above statement, but the general concensus around here is the exact opposite. A crappy amp makes a good bass sound like crap, and a good amp makes a crappy bass sound good. Apparently.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Tonewise, what he said is correct. Playability and comfort requires a better bass. It depends where you are more willing to compromise. Does a good feel or a good sound motivate you more?

In addition to Primus and Tool; Rush, Guns 'N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Muse, Rage Against The Machine, and (dare I say it?) Red Hot Chili Peppers are all good rock/ classic metal bands with strong bass lines.

Some more than others, but all are definitely audible, and none have massively hard lines (ok, some Primus and Rush is really quite tricky, but a lot of their riffs are ok once you have a stronger feel of the instrument).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
get the below. good feel, sound.

for the bass. get a cheap Ashdown combo, maybe a Laney for the amp, Acoustic is not sold your land, sadly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Aye, there be some rude girls here as well..

Ribbing aside. Starting out, I agree with Fitz--the money balance should either be equal or more on the bass. Upgrades--then I think you are better putting the money towards a better amp since it will do more for improving your sound overall than upgrading the bass.

I play both guitar and bass. You don't have to choose one over the other--this isn't a cult, its musical interest. But you will find them to be totally different beasts that compliment each other over time.

As for songs, check out the Songs sticky at the top of the forum. There's a plethora of songs that have prominent bass lines that are quite fun to play and cut across a variety of genres.

And to the Acoustic fan boys--some of us aren't exactly enamored of the clear sound of the Acoustic line. For more suggestion on starter amps, check out the FAQ. Lots of tasty options.
Go on...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..