Page 1 of 2
Well, most of Marshall's original amps were single channel. But I've found most modern Marshall's don't actually have great cleans. At least the JCM's You could look into an 18w clone. How much do you have to spend?
Quote by Roc8995
What's your budget? Why a Marshall? Where do you play?

Exactly. Marshalls are known more for their "British bite", not their cleans.

If you're looking for something with amazing cleans then look into a Fender.
a lot of bands i see play with marshalls seem to use distortion a lot...I saw a reggae band..rebelution...play and they lead singer/guitarist had a fender twin reverb and no matter what guitar he played through it, it had godly cleans
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Exactly. Marshalls are known more for their "British bite", not their cleans.

If you're looking for something with amazing cleans then look into a Fender.

+1
Fender's are renown for their cleans, Marshall for that "British roar."
Marshall's really far from some brands clean-wise, their circuit is made for excelling at high-gain overdrive, forget a nice clean, fender has got great cleans with lots of headroom, just godly.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Milaneus
Budget doesn't matter at the moment...

You've answered one of my three questions. We can't help you if you don't tell us what you're looking for.
if you have an unlimited budget, and want amazing cleans... I really doubt you should be looking at marshalls lol

btw he didn't mean where do you live, he meant bedroom, stadium, little bars etc...
I'm just curious. Have you played any really nice Marshall?
Or is this just assuming you like them because your idols played them?

EDIT: Amazing cleans? Look at a vintage BF or blonde fender amp.
Maybe a DR. Z?

though for the real Marshall sound, look at clones. I particularly suggest Ceriatone and Metropolous
Quote by mcrfobtai
I'm just curious. Have you played any really nice Marshall?
Or is this just assuming you like them because your idols played them?

EDIT: Amazing cleans? Look at a vintage BF or blonde fender amp.
Maybe a DR. Z?

though for the real Marshall sound, look at clones. I particularly suggest Ceriatone and Metropolous

Yeah i've played some awesome Marshalls for Distortion/Overdrive/Gain :P
Budget doesn't matter...

Fuchs, Two Rock, Dr. Z, Comet

I played a JCM800, I liked the cleans on it pretty well. Definatly had the EL34 vibe, which is a plus. In all seriousness, check out a Krank Chadwick. You can buy those used for great prices. Suhr Badger's are nice amps as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'd have to disagree with everybody who says that Marshall cleans are bad. Try saying that in front of John Froosh. The one's with more headroom have great (imo) full cleans. I wouldn't say they're better than fender, just different.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Froosh uses his Marshall for distortion, does he not? Not really my area, but I'm sure he has a silver jubilee or something and a Fender for cleans.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Nov 10, 2008,
I scored a Fender Twin for my cleans and to be my pedal bitch. Once you have a Fender for cleans you really won't consider anything else. Marshall's have really always been known for their bark/overdrive. Although a good Plexi clean can be heartwarming also.
the jcm 2000 dsl and tsl have some pretty awesome cleans. IMHO best clean tones out of the jcm series.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
but why do you want a marshall specifically for cleans?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Froosh uses his Marshall for distortion, does he not? Not really my area, but I'm sure he has a silver jubilee or something and a Fender for cleans.

He uses a Marshall major usually for cleans. He only uses a Fender when he plays his Gretsch. I forget what mode Fender though.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by bartdevil_metal

dude.
silver jubilee's are marshalls.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by cavalier14

Quote by bartdevil_metal

dude.

Read the first sentence of his post again, bart is saying that froosh DOES use marshalls.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Milaneus
Budget doesn't matter at the moment...
Well, I'll have to tell you to get a JTM45 or a Super Lead. Your ears will be bleeding when you hit breakup on the Super Lead, and it's still pretty loud on a JTM45.
Quote by cavalier14
dude.

Thanks captain obvious. I said he uses a Silver Jubilee AND a Fender. What I didn't know was that he actually uses the SJ for cleans, I guess guitargeek is not to be trusted
Guitargeek hasn't been updated in four years, and it was out of date then.
He's running two Jubilees and a Major.
In my opinion you are coming across that you want a marshall because of the name and stereotypical view that its the best amplifier ever.
"Yeah I have a Marshall"
"DOOD!!1111!11eleven!1"
That doesn't work in GG&A, take the advice being given to you by the fellow forumites and go and try amps recommended, if you feel like you still want to get a marshall, bloody well try one first before you buy one for the name.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
JTM45, or a Major if you can get one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Get a fender for cleans. Also, I played a Fuchs amp a while ago. Incredible.

If I could afford it, I'd own it.

If you want it to roar AND have good cleans, then that would make more sense, and your just asking what amp can get that marshall drive, as well as amazing cleans, I'd understand more, but from what I know, which isn't tonnes, but its enough... Marshall isn't really a good go to for cleans. It can be more than good enough if you want the amp for its drive and just need some clean, and after all, John Frusciante uses old marshalls, and just runs them clean with a lot of pedals on stage, so when he's got a clean sound, thats a marshall clean, and you can trust me on this, I gawked extensively at his rig at the show, and have heard gear related interviews with the guy. I mean, it can be done, but its not necessarily the best choice.

And as people said, try tonnes of amps. Don't buy it for the name. I used to really want a marshall, and I tried a few, thought I loved them, tried them again a year later when I had developed more as a guitarist, and couldn't figure out why I was dying for one way back when. Its all personal preference, just make sure you play tonnes of different things before you decide.

Good Luck.
actually, to chime in... I get some pretty decent cleans out of my JCM 900, not the best cleans... doesn't sound exactly like a fender and it's not as shimmery or nice as my vox, but I can get really useable tones out of it that are reminiscant of a fender. I actually get a REALLY good country guitar tone out of it, especially for a Marshall halfstack, I was suprised at how well it performed.
Rivera R100-212 like the one on my siggy.

It's a discontinued tube amp that has the best of both worlds, a drive channel based on the Plexis and a clean channel based on the Twin Reverbs. Either use ebay or craiglist to find one because they are discontinued.

Here's some info I got before I bought mine:

As far as the R-100's features, it has two channels: channel 1 is a british marshall sound with an extra boost for thick heavy metal type sounds, with channel 2 being an approach with tweed / fender type amps. Channel 2 has a bright push/pull and a Mid-range notch (pulling this makes it sound like a fender blackface amp [twin, super reverb, deluxe reverb] type sound). It as well features a channel 2 gain notch like the 1 channel does, for an additional gain stage and more drive.

It ALSO features an excellent effects loop. If you patch a cable from the send and receive you can use the level knobs as a power
break (for example, put the master volume at 10 and the output at 2 achieving full power tube saturation with controllable volume.

The only bad thing I can find about the amp, is that it's 100 watts with 2 12 inch speakers. It's loud as hell!

A video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhK3r1mr2Vg

You can pretty much find many other amps but its the only personal opinion I can give you about an amp that can probably fit into your likings.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
JCM600

basically a castrated 800, low gain, nice cleans

IF you can find one
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by VoodooCow229
He uses a Marshall major usually for cleans. He only uses a Fender when he plays his Gretsch. I forget what mode Fender though.

it was a blackface fender showman
and a fender twin reverb for recording soul to squeece

anyway he doesnt use his fender showman in quite a few years (the live at slane 2003 video he has his jube-major-jube combo) and for stadium arcadium he stopped using his gretsch on tour and just used a strat

so for froosh cleans think strat + marshall major

so i guess tha means if you have to have a marshall for cleans get the major lol it has some pretty nice cleans with all that headroom

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Milaneus, if you want good cleans then you're going to want a non master volume Marshall 100 watt. Go for a 1959 super lead they have the most organic and warm sounding cleans that shimmer and trail off into the seemingly unlimited amount of head room.
Like some other's said, Froosh uses a Marshall Major most of the time, and Silver Jubilee for crunch.

So: Marshall Major, good look finding one though.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by JLT73
the jcm 2000 dsl and tsl have some pretty awesome cleans. IMHO best clean tones out of the jcm series.

Yeah the best thing about my TSL were the cleans, for a Marshall they were really nice, warm and smooth but unfortunately it lacked the "Marshall" sound a bit when cranked. More of a compressed sound than earlier JCM's.
The lead guitarist in my bad uses a marshall JCM lead series that he got in like '82-83 I think. Does amazing cleans. but the overdrive sucks on it. he has another jcm that looks almost identical(he says this one's older) that does amazing overdrive but crap cleans.

I guess what I'm saying is i'd look for vintage(ish) marshalls and it'll be kinda hit and miss. From my experience with them anyway.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
If you just want good cleans, get a Fender Twin Reverb.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Page 1 of 2