Today I've had a speaker of the name Matt Bellace, a comedian and motivational speaker who came to our school to talk about drugs and how natural highs are better like playing in font of a crowd, running, etc... The man has a PHD in psychology.

I would like to point out I'm a frequent drug user ( cannabis, salvia ), and so my interest in his speech that he says that Cannabis is not a natural high. In my opinion, it's natural as anything else. Cannabis is a plant, and fire is natural, inhaling smoke from a any type of burning has been doing for thousands of years and so after he made his speech I had a talk with him after. I argued that inhaling the fumes of a burnt plant is more natural than let's say playing video games. Another thing I was upset about is that how he showed charts to demonstrate that natural highs made you happy and then back to normal while all drugs bring you up to happy and then down to feeling depressed and more depressed if using the drug regularly. I argued with him how some drugs bring you to happy and back to normal just like natural highs with some drugs ( psychedelic ones like shrooms, LSD ) and that many drugs actually improve your way of life [ many people will tell you after using a psychedelic drug once in their life ( not opiates or pills or arguably plants ) , they saw the rest of their life in a whole new way, more observant and creative. ].

After arguing with him for about 30 to 45 minutes, he concluded I was well informed on the subject and that he saw that if I did not get addicted or abuse any of the drugs I was using for long periods of time, then it was fine. I shook his hand, had a conversation about It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and then moved on.

Matt Bellace is a pretty funny guy and I'd have a beer with him ( except for the fact that he doesn't drink ) and I respect in all his doings. I agreed with him about the abuse of opiates and how not to use them. We also agreed on many other things. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him if I ever wanted to have a talk about anything really, or if I needed to consult.

Now what do you think ?

Is Cannabis a natural high ?

What kind of healthy / unhealthy natural highs do you perform and recommend for others ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
bump
Don't bump or double post.
Sounds like a cool guy, not against drugs to the point that he won't listen to a reasonable argument (such as the one you provided.)
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Cannabis a natural high? Sure, if you think smoking The Devil's used condoms is natural!

Cannabis alters your state of mind doesn't it? I don't think that is particularly natural, but whatever. I choose not to drugs, but I don't know enough about them to argue with someone about it. **** if I care anyway.
Shrooms have been guiding mankind's prosperity since the beginning.
Yeah, don't bump a 7 minute old thread.

IMO, it's not a natural high (as in, produced by the body without intervention), as it wouldn't occur naturally without help [the drug].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

IMO, it's not a natural high (as in, produced by the body without intervention), as it wouldn't occur naturally without help [the drug].

But those chemicals do naturally exist in our body, do they not? Drugs merely augment them to a certain point.
You made a pretty good argument. I would consider marijuana the black market anti-depressant/anti-anxiety, perhaps even less harmful than those currently sold by the pharmaceutical company. However, even though they may improve one's way of life, I feel it would be better that, if possible, we learn to deal with the hardships of life without relying on the consumption of psychoactive medications/drugs, subsequently growing and maturing as people. I don't know, right now this is just a bit of a half-baked theory of mine. Your life is your own, so smoke up if you want to, I guess.
Quote by Simsimius

yeah but then you can't get a natural high off playing an instrument if you don't have it.

you can argue putting something on fire is a chemical reaction, but I wouldn't put cannabis as an unnatural unhealthy high.
Quote by Archaon
But those chemicals do naturally exist in our body, do they not? Drugs merely augment them to a certain point.

THC exists naturally in our body?
Paul Gilbert

Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat

Quote by JosefTheGodless
THC exists naturally in our body?

there are THC receptors in your brain.
Receptors in your brain go off when you do coke and heroin to, does that mean those are ok?
Paul Gilbert

Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat

Quote by Paquijón
You made a pretty good argument. I would consider marijuana the black market anti-depressant/anti-anxiety, perhaps even less harmful than those currently sold by the pharmaceutical company. However, even though they may improve one's way of life, I feel it would be better that, if possible, we learn to deal with the hardships of life without relying on the consumption of psychoactive medications/drugs, subsequently growing and maturing as people. I don't know, right now this is just a bit of a half-baked theory of mine. Your life is your own, so smoke up if you want to, I guess.

Marijuana actually is my anti-depressant, lol. I'd rather be giving the profits to my buddy than to some pharmaceutical corporation (as ridiculously cliche/angsty as it sounds).

Some people rely on drug use to help deal with their hardships, others find alternative methods. In the end, we've all got our own poison.
Quote by JosefTheGodless
Receptors in your brain go off when you do coke and heroin to, does that mean those are ok?

That's not at all the point that I was making. I've never done coke or heroin, nor do I plan to. I've been smoking pot for 5 years now and the only other drug I've tried is shrooms, and only once. It was an amazing experience, but one that I would like to keep as a rare occasion.
Quote by illuminatiano
yeah but then you can't get a natural high off playing an instrument if you don't have it.

you can argue putting something on fire is a chemical reaction, but I wouldn't put cannabis as an unnatural unhealthy high.

I didn't even think of that, but any Chemist in the world would tell you such is so.
but there aren't receptors in your brains named benzoylmethyl ecgonine receptors or diacetylmorphine receptors. are there ?
Quote by illuminatiano
but there aren't receptors in your brains named benzoylmethyl ecgonine receptors or diacetylmorphine receptors. are there ?

Well, we don't get high off of water, but does that make it bad for us?

These kinds of arguments just go in circles on both sides, really.
Quote by Habit Zero
Well, we don't get high off of water, but does that make it bad for us?

These kinds of arguments just go in circles on both sides, really.

That's what I'm trying to show him.
Quote by Archaon
That's not at all the point that I was making. I've never done coke or heroin, nor do I plan to. I've been smoking pot for 5 years now and the only other drug I've tried is shrooms, and only once. It was an amazing experience, but one that I would like to keep as a rare occasion.

Yeah trust me man, I know where you're coming from, and I'm definitely not against you. I smoked weed all day every day all through high school and had my fair share of shroom experiences myself (and I'm sure I'd be a different person today without them). I just feel like now that I've stopped doing everything a lot of aspects of my life have improved and my overall quality of life feels better and more enriching. But, to each his own. I have no problem with other people doing what they want to do. Sometimes I just start to debate for a sake of it.
Paul Gilbert

Quote by thegreensquall

Quote by JosefTheGodless
Yeah trust me man, I know where you're coming from, and I'm definitely not against you. I smoked weed all day every day all through high school and had my fair share of shroom experiences myself (and I'm sure I'd be a different person today without them). I just feel like now that I've stopped doing everything a lot of aspects of my life have improved and my overall quality of life feels better and more enriching. But, to each his own. I have no problem with other people doing what they want to do. Sometimes I just start to debate for a sake of it.

that's good to hear, actually.

I don't plan on doing any opiates, addiction is not my thing.

I'm sticking to basicly weed, salvia, shrooms, maybe mescaline. LSD when I turn 18.
That's cool. I'm sure like that guy said to you as long as you don't get carried away with it you will be fine. I'm just one of those suckers that really got carried away with the smoking and drinking all the time and it really ****ed up a lot of things for me.

And good call on staying away from the opiates. I've had a fair amount of friends become heroin addicts in the past year or two and it really sucks. I've never touched the stuff myself, despite numerous offers, but I've seen some of my closest friends ****ing their lives up on the stuff.
Paul Gilbert

Quote by thegreensquall

By saying that smoking cannabis is natural because it is a plant and fire is natural, you could also argue that constructing buildings is natural because Iron Ore is mined from the ground, bricks are made of clay which is also found in the earth, etc.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by JosefTheGodless
That's cool. I'm sure like that guy said to you as long as you don't get carried away with it you will be fine. I'm just one of those suckers that really got carried away with the smoking and drinking all the time and it really ****ed up a lot of things for me.

And good call on staying away from the opiates. I've had a fair amount of friends become heroin addicts in the past year or two and it really sucks. I've never touched the stuff myself, despite numerous offers, but I've seen some of my closest friends ****ing their lives up on the stuff.

I have tried vicodin once but that was a one time thing seeing as I found a random bottle laying arround in my house. I don't drink much, occasionally, only with close friends. I don't trust being drunk arround people I don't know. I smoke weed perhaps 3 times a week.
Quote by CTFOD
By saying that smoking cannabis is natural because it is a plant and fire is natural, you could also argue that constructing buildings is natural because Iron Ore is mined from the ground, bricks are made of clay which is also found in the earth, etc.

but these objects ( iron ore, bricks ) are combinations of different things, obtained from chemical reactions.

you don't make a skyscraper with clay and pieces of rock.
I smoked steady for 3 years and still once in a while, but no it's not a natural high, its a drug. Think about it, when you're up on stage infront of all those people performing, the feelings of exhilaration come naturally, without using an outside source (smoking a bowl).
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I

The Sky Is The Limit
Quote by CTFOD

Which is a valid point. Like someone said before these arguments just end up going in circles. I say do whatever feels best for you but don't get carried away. Experimenting with drugs can be a rewarding thing. But some people don't know where to draw the line and try to justify themselves in the face of a habit or even full blown addiction.
Paul Gilbert

Quote by thegreensquall

Quote by SleightOfHand
I smoked steady for 3 years and still once in a while, but no it's not a natural high, its a drug. Think about it, when you're up on stage infront of all those people performing, the feelings of exhilaration come naturally, without using an outside source (smoking a bowl).

I didn't say that smoking a bowl was a perfectly natural high, I said that other things that he said was a natural high ( for instance playing video games ) were less natural than smoking a plant.
I'm not against drugs, and sure they can be considered a natural high, but playing live in front of people imo probobly feels way better than any drug
why would pot be a natural high? its a foreign substance that you put into your body and which alters your perceptions. a natural high is something produced by your body alone, with no outside help. just because something is a plant doesnt make it a rationalization to do drugs. everything on this planet was made from things on this planet, or this universe at least.
I have no opinion on this matter.
This seems like kind of a pointless argument. Natural high = feeling of euphoria or exhilaration caused by a release of "feel good" hormones in the body. There are a number of ways to achieve a natural high, but it cannot happen by itself. Some of you say that smoking a naturally occurring plant does not cause a natural high but say that something like playing a show does. What do you think is the difference there? Either way there is a foreign influence causing that release of the same hormone cocktail in your body. In that light, playing a show and smoking weed are the same damn thing.
If you're saying that a natural high can be caused without any kind of foreign influence, you're saying that I can go sit my bored ass down on the floor and get high as a kite out of nowhere. There are loads of foreign influences that can cause it, but there has to be one for it to happen. Just because weed is a drug doesn't mean it doesn't count.
Quote by madbasslover
This seems like kind of a pointless argument. Natural high = feeling of euphoria or exhilaration caused by a release of "feel good" hormones in the body. There are a number of ways to achieve a natural high, but it cannot happen by itself. Some of you say that smoking a naturally occurring plant does not cause a natural high but say that something like playing a show does. What do you think is the difference there? Either way there is a foreign influence causing that release of the same hormone cocktail in your body. In that light, playing a show and smoking weed are the same damn thing.
If you're saying that a natural high can be caused without any kind of foreign influence, you're saying that I can go sit my bored ass down on the floor and get high as a kite out of nowhere. There are loads of foreign influences that can cause it, but there has to be one for it to happen. Just because weed is a drug doesn't mean it doesn't count.

yep.