hey, i just joined a new band as the second guitarist and have dicovered that im a much better lead player than the other guitarist, but he can play cirlces around me when it comes to rhythm and riff playing, and id like to be able to match his riff playing. any songs that can help me improve that aspect of my playing?

much appreciation,

also, i should probably give a vague idea of what this band plays: think sabbath meets the white stripes, with a pinch of avenged sevenfold
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Ozzy Osbourne
Learn to play Metallica's Master Of Puppets album from front to back. When you can play that cleanly, problem = solved.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Learn to play Metallica's Master Of Puppets album from front to back. When you can play that cleanly, problem = solved.

This is true but you needn't learn the whole album, just one of the faster songs can and will help a huge amount; try Battery, Master of Puppets, Disposable Heroes or Damage Inc. Disposable Heroes in particular will work wonders for your rhythm abilities and pick hand endurance.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.