I mean like, how much treble and bass to use, what pickups to use(I have SSS strat), and what to turn the pots to to get that bluesy tone he used.
Quote by Renegade19
I mean like, how much treble and bass to use, what pickups to use(I have SSS strat), and what to turn the pots to to get that bluesy tone he used.

When he was in cream he used an SG so that;s an automtic barrier to getting his tone from that era.

Either way you'll need a vintage style tube amp with everything turned up (including the volume) so you get nice vintage overdrive, use the neck pickup and roll off some of the tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well you need an amp that's capable of coming close to his tone, and maybe a pedal or two. In fact, Boss makes a "Crossroads" pedal that's designed to replicate many of Clapton's tones. What amp do you have? What kind of pickups in your Strat?
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
well when he was in Cream he mostly used an SG and I think an ES-335. He used to just switch to neck pickup, turn the volume up, and turn the tone all the way down.
Btw it doesn't matter but just for trivia its called the "Woman" tone
Take a vintagey tube amp, turn everything up to ten, use your neck pup and roll of the tone a little. It doesn't matter if you have an SG or a strat THAT much. It'll be the same type of sound, just different from the different pups. And you'll never sound just like him because you aren't him. But an old fender or old marshall turned up to 10 outta do it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I can get a great "Woman Tone" with my strat and blues junior, Volumes have to be cranked and roll off the bass a bit boost the mids (treble sort of half way) then use the neck pick-up with enough tone to just get a little bit of a metallic/bright sound (but only a little if you get what i mean)

X
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
base 5 middle 5 treble 7 , use the bridge pickup and turn the pots the whole way towards base to get claptons "woman tone". he used an sg so not to sure what the difference will be lik but i seem to be able to get it with a telecaster and a vox ad50vt on the ac30 setting
equipment
guitars:
lefty fender tele standard ,
lefty tanglewood electro-acoustic
usa gibson flying v (flipped for lefty)
castrol oil can single coil electric
amp
vox ad50vt
pedals
dunlop crybaby wah
mxr blue box

go on ireland!
Quote by Denthrare
Well you need an amp that's capable of coming close to his tone, and maybe a pedal or two. In fact, Boss makes a "Crossroads" pedal that's designed to replicate many of Clapton's tones. What amp do you have? What kind of pickups in your Strat?

It's actually Digitech.

And you might be able to get it with a strat, I know I've seen him play some of that stuff with a strat. You might also need an overdrive and you definitely need a tube amp.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Clapton used an SG and a marshall stack in the cream era. Best way to replicate his tone is to get a humbucker equiped guitar and a cranked valve amp, use the neck humbucker with the tone rolled all the way off, and then throw a half cocked wah pedal in between the guitar and amp.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I'd say theres probably a website somewhere with all of his equipment used on all albums throughout Cream's Career, just look for one
Pot
Kettle
Black
Cut off his fingers and replace yours.

If you want to achieve it like he did, take an old Marshall JTM 45 with KT66 tubes, turn all the knobs all the way up, plug your 1958/1959/1961 Les Paul Standard or your early 60s ES-335 or your Gibson Firebird or your Gibson Explorer in, roll the tone down on your bridge pickup a tad and put it in the middle position/neck position for the 'Woman tone'.

You could also use a Dallas Rangemaster, a Fuzz Face and a Vox Wah.

With your rig, just use the neck pickup to get a woman tone. You won't nail it though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.