Hey, i've just installed my EMG 81 n 85s and i'm getting problems with loads off noise when i play, and the jack only working half way in. I've read a post about this but i can't find it now. Anyone know what the problem is. Also if i play and touch somthing in the back like the volume pot the noise stops. Any Ideas??
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
I din't think they had to be grounded cause they were active pickups, but then again i know shit about this stuff lol, plus there isn't a grounding wire on the diagram!
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
they get grounded to the back of the volume pot, and you might have the quick connect clip clipped upside down.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
then do you soldered it to the plate that holds the springs?, the quick clip have little arrows on top and they are facing up so is this the right way?, also why does the guitar only work with the amp lead plugged in half way?
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
Quote by mikeespace
why does the guitar only work with the amp lead plugged in half way?

possibly the elctricity isnt getting to the source of the problem?
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

There's 2 wire coming from the pickups. The red is the hot for the battery and the white wire has 2 wires inside it. The inner wire is the hot for the pickup (just like a passive pickup) it gets soldered to the first lug on the left side of the volume pot. the bare wire gets soldered to the back of the volume pot (just like a passive pickup).
Is this how you did it?
How did you wire the input jack?
What kind of guitar did you put them in and how many volumes and tones does it have?
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 10, 2008,
No i did it like how it looked in the diagram, i've just soldered the inner wire onto the back of the vol pot, and which lug is the 1st one, the one with the wire on it already or the one without?
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
They have alot of diagrams so how many Volumes and tones does your guitar have. The inner wire should never go to the back of the volume pot. It's the hot wire. The back of the pot is for grounding.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 10, 2008,
Just one volume and one tone
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
Ok I see what's going on. The picture in their diagram is misleading. It looks like the inner wire is soldered to the back of the pot but it's not the bare wire is. The inner wire needs to be soldered to the toggle switch. Use the diagram and what I told you and see if you can get them working right. If you have anymore problems post again and we'll figure it out.
ahh i see, so the other two wires coming from the volume pot to the switch are the inner wires?? that make more sense now lol
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
Think you've done it mate, its all working now, no crazxy sounds coming out, work with lead fully in and everything else is fine, think i had to do it abit different from the diagram, instead on soldering the wire to the 1at lug on the switch i've have to solder it to the 5 as it make no sound on any others, i hope its ok to do that
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
its a 3 way switch for a fender strat or telecaster, bloke at shop said it would do for these pickups, plus only one they had that would fit my ibanez
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)
Seems to be working fine not sure about the fact that the bridge and neck pickups sound almost the same?? hmmm. but the places i've wired them too are the only lugs that they actually make a sound on.
MikeeSpace!!!

Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT50
Boss GT8
Cry Baby
DS-1

Aria STG (customized)