So I'm going to be building my first bass soon, in sculpture class.

My original plan was to make a bolt on neck, but with the wood available I decided to make it neck-through instead. I found one small problem with that, though. My bridge isn't that much wider than the piece of wood I was going to use for the neck, and I'm afraid the screws will go in too close to the edge of the main body. My sculpture teacher suggested I go back to the bolt on neck, but I think with my material dimensions I'd have to do a lot of reconfiguring to do that.

Point being... any suggestions?
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Glue it together than drill the holes for the bridge, it wouldn't matter it's basically one piece of wood.
So you are saying you dont want to drill into the glue line?

the neck thru will be glued on both sides the entire length of the body, so just drilling the bridge mounting screws shouldnt be a problem.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
OK. I had a feeling that's what the answer would be, but seeing as this is my first build, I wanted to verify it, and be able to say I talked to some people who have done it before.

Oh, and I wouldn't really be drilling right into the glue line, but about 1/8" away from it.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Yea, I got a 1x3 for mine, I think it's 2.5" wide. Definitely going to get the wings put on before I do any routing, though.
Neck through is probably the easiest design. And it might not be a bad idea to clamp the body while you're drilling the holes; won't hurt anything.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Also, you don't have to worry about where to mount the neck or anything. There is none of that hassle...

If you have access to a drill press, making the holes will be very easy.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.