My old router broke, the on/off switch no longer works, and since using it is hilariously dangerous without an off switch, I want to get a new one and I was wondering what a good, solid brand is? Hopefully nothing outrageously expensive or anything dirt cheap and poorly constructed, just a middle of the line, dependable router.

Thanks.
Last edited by SpamTheBox at Nov 10, 2008,
Yeah man, you can probably fix it...

Makita makes good tools.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by SpamTheBox
My old router broke, the on/off switch no longer works, and since using it is hilariously dangerous without an off switch, I want to get a new one and I was wondering what a good, solid brand is? Hopefully nothing outrageously expensive or anything dirt cheap and poorly constructed, just a middle of the line, dependable router.

Thanks.

funny mental image

but yeah, i'd try fixing the switch first. if not craftsman always seems to make good stuff.
I've always used Bosch routers, they work great in my opinion.. Ive noticed that on off switches are a trouble on routers I don't know why.
Have you taken the switch apart to see if there is any sawdust in it? This happened to me the other week w/ my Bosch. Took it apart and cleaned it. Works fine.
Alright, I'll take it apart and see what's going inside there, and if it's easily fixable I'll do it and I'll take it to somebody who knows more about fixing power tools than I do. I wouldn't trust myself to solder something that has the potential to do some serious damage, or, as it would happen, anything that is "hilariously dangerous."

If not, I'll just buy a DeWalt plunge router.
Last edited by SpamTheBox at Nov 10, 2008,
dude go to a pawn shop and look for a router.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
the craftsman plunge router is like 45 dollars right now on sale, i love mine, a bit under powered, but if you know how to use a router they are great. makita routers are top-notch, but if you have the craftsman with some nice bits, it will be perfect.
Well just to get you by, if you wanted to be cheap, or at least do some routing until you bought a new one, you could always use a $10 dollar surge protector with a circuit breaker switch to control power.

At least it's slightly less hilariously dangerous?
Quote by chris024
funny mental image

but yeah, i'd try fixing the switch first. if not craftsman always seems to make good stuff.

Check this out if you haven't already:
http://happytreefriends.atomfilms.com/watch_episodes/index.html

Anyway, on topic:
The switch should be really easy to replace. Not more than six solder joints probably, just buy a rocket switch at RadioShack for two bucks.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster