I need a combo amp that I can leave at school for Jazz band, Sports band, and Rock band and not get too angry if it gets kicked, dropped, dented, scratched, stolen, etc.

It needs to have a good quality sound and cost between $200-300. So far i've tried out these 2 crates ($200 for either one) and I think they'd do the job, but I would like some input on which one I should get and i'm open to all other suggestions on amps. So please make those suggestions.

Crate V18 212:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

Crate FW65:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW65-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481058
buy a solid state for sure so it can take a little more abuse... tubes are prone to getting ruined by being reckless with it.
Last edited by jjd07 at Nov 18, 2008,
the cube 30 looks a little small for what i think i need. but thanks for the input. another concern of mine is that the 18 might be too small? even though its class A.
I say look into a used peavey classic 30. That way, even if it would get scratched, dropped, or kicked around, you have the peace of mind that it'll keep working great .
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by jjd07
buy a solid state for sure so it can take a little more abuse... tubes are prone to getting ruined by being reckless with it. the crate 2x12 looks like a good choice to me.

huh?

sorry. Solid State amps cannot take more abuse. If something goes wrong inside it is a lot harder to diagnose and fix. Tube amps are simple and pretty easy to fix. You would have to be pretty rough with it to break a tube or anything else for that matter.

Proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8&feature=related

Do that to a solid state amp and let us know how it goes.

Not to mention the fact that you recommended the 212 which is a tube amp. Please don't post if you don't know what you are talking about. I'm not even going to comment on that Behringer amp you suggested.

I like Darkarbiter7's suggestion for a used Classic 30.
Quote by Darkice
Ibanez Tone blaster 150$ and they dont sound half bad for a cheap SS

you're right, they don't sound half bad, they sound all bad. :P

You can also look at a used fender deluxe.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866153
search for the word durable, and jazz. it should make it clear that a solid state is better for jazz band also because of my experience with a tube amp..

a tube amp i had used dropped a foot and tipped over backwards after being in the cold moving it for jazz band.. the tube shattered. there isn't anything that would make a ss less durable besides the manufacturer - tube amps have the same stuff as solid states and MORE.

the amp i linked isn't very great when you crank it but for what you're doing i would expect you would like to be a little more transparent and not extremely loud..
to that 311 dude.. maybe you should read what he was asking for - that classic 30 amp is not what you're looking for cuz its 600 dollars
Quote by Highwaytohell
just to interrupt for a moment, but what the hell is Sports band?

A sports band? They play... sporty music, actually i think they have to run around a field or play football whilst playing their music

I was wondering the same

TS - Roland cubes look a good option for you, seem solid and are versatile and actually sound good.
i think its like a pep band thing, like sitting in the stands playing songs during down time in football games or basketball and whatever.
the V18 2x12 should be loud enough. make sure you dont get something too heavy to carry around though, because a 2x12 combo like the V18 is much heavier than youd think. try lifting one when your at the store and if not, try and find the weight of the amp, because from the thread, it would seem your gonna be taking this a lot of places...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by darkarbiter7
I say look into a used peavey classic 30. That way, even if it would get scratched, dropped, or kicked around, you have the peace of mind that it'll keep working great .

Win right there.
he said for 200-300 dollars not 500-600 for that classic 30.. i'll leave my opinion out on which amp to pick in this range but i dont think it needs more than one 12'' speaker for playing these type of things lol idk
tube amps are not good for sitting out in the cold and carrying around. go solid state for sure its more transparent.. good for big band settings. not to mention lighter, and cheaper a combo 1-12'' would do great
jjd07-

1.) I got your PM

2.) Yes, I own both tube and solid state amps

3.) Everyone that said Classic 30 said USED Classic 30

4.) You can get a used Classic 30 for $300

5.) He said he doesn't care if it gets kicked around whatever

6.) Yes tubes can break - so?

7.) Thousands of bands have traveled extensively in all kinds of weather. I think if it was a real problem they would all switch to solid state amps.

8.) I don't care much for that Behringer amp you linked.

9.) People that gig, travel, use amps in harsh conditions have extra tubes with them. It's like having extra guitar strings. If you drop a solid state amp and something breaks it is extremely hard to diagnose and fix often rendering it trash. Tubes can be replaced easily.

10.) That's all I was trying to say. Solid state amps are good for Jazz but he's in a Rock Band too, if I read correctly.

c ya
Yeah, the Crate can definitely get loud enough lawl
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by jjd07

a tube amp i had used dropped a foot and tipped over backwards after being in the cold moving it for jazz band.. the tube shattered. there isn't anything that would make a ss less durable besides the manufacturer - tube amps have the same stuff as solid states and MORE.

The insides of a tube amp and a SS amp are nothing alike.
I would stay away from behringer. they sound horrible! Ive never had a good experience with ANY behringer product!
Get the v-series.

See the thing you gotta remember is that 18watts of tube can actually get very loud.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, the V series would def get it volume wise but I don't know about the jazz part seing as it doesn't have a clean channel.

?????

Thats really confusing. Of course it has a clean channel. What amp doesn't?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
?????

Thats really confusing. Of course it has a clean channel. What amp doesn't?

There's lots of them. That Crate is a Class A single channel amp. It's 18 watts. It breaks up quickly. Hard to keep clean at higher volumes.

as opposed to a 2 channel amp with more watts (headroom).
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 19, 2008,
used 30 ftw
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by jjd07
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866153a tube amp i had used dropped a foot and tipped over backwards after being in the cold moving it for jazz band.. the tube shattered. there isn't anything that would make a ss less durable besides the manufacturer

But at least you know what the problem was! Change the tube and you are good to go. A solid state amp is just as likely to have a problem after being knocked over but then you have to have lots of electrical experience to be able to figure out what went wrong. Typically it's cheaper to replace most solid state amps than it is to figure out what is wrong with them.

tube amps have the same stuff as solid states and MORE.

That depends on the tube amp. When your tube amp has things like FX loops, line out, compression, master volume, reverb, and SS distortion then yeah... those are as complex (or more) than a solid state amp. If you have something that follows pretty closely to vintage designs then a tube amp is going to be much more simple even if the amp has a few modern bells and whistles.

At the end of the day it's going to depend on which amp you get. There are a lot of very rugged solid state amps (roland comes to mind) that can take anything you push at them. There are also very fragile tube amps (like the blues Jr) that can be completely destroyed if you are not gentle when adjusting the volume.

Crate amps are pretty rugged. Peavey tend to be good as well so the V18 and the classic 30 are both good if you can find them in your price range. You might also want to look into something like a vox valvtronix or a roland cube.
Not taking any online orders.
Well everyone has said the classic 30 used, which I agree would suite pretty good, the only thing it wont be greatly is the jazz due to the natural tone of it, but it can still get a jazz tone. Maybe look at the fender deluxe?