Just finished watching tonights episode and was wondering if a story in it was actually true.
It said that in world war two the British deciphered the Germans code, and worked out there was going to be an attack on the city Coventry, through airplane bombings. Churchill had to make a decision, evacuate Coventry and let the Germans know their code was cracked, or dont let anyone know and let the Germans keep using the cracked code. He decided not to evacuate and thousands of innocent people from Coventry diedin the bombings. However, this code allowed them to go on and win the war.
Anyone know if this is a fact or just something the writers created.
Also, Spooks is awesome.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
I know that we did crack the Germans code and we did have to allow certain planned bombings that the Allies knew about or risk letting the Germans figure out we cracked their code. I couldn't say if the Coventry bombings were a particular instance of fact or not, but I can say that yes, thousands of people did die that we could've saved, but at the cost of thousands more most likely.
That's true. I did Battle of Britain as part of my GCSE History course, and it came up. He took the utilitarian approach, basically.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
That's true. I did Battle of Britain as part of my GCSE History course, and it came up. He took the utilitarian approach, basically.

Yeah, thats what interests me about it, I have an essay to write about utilitarianism for my philosophy module in uni, so need to know if this was fact or not.
Thanks for both of your help.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
The German's cipher was indeed deciphered and that definitely did help the British to win the war. I don't know about bombing and the rest though.

I feel I need to add that you cannot decipher a code.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible