The guitar is tuned to C# standard. I just dont know what scale those 3 notes on the a string are in... How would this sound good harmonized? 3rds, 4ths, 6ths?

A string: 6p5 5p4
E string:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Oh and how do you find what scale a riff is in?

Edit: Oh well its not show up as I wrote it... its basically just an 8th note rhythm with the 3 notes on the a string thrown inbetween downpicked palm muted notes on the E string
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
it depends

how do you want the harmonizing to sound?it can be harmonized 12 different ways.

you cant usually find what key/scale its in just by looking at a couple of the notes in the riff

edit: or in other words, we'll need to see more of the actual song.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

It does depend on what sound you want, there are a huge number of ways to harmonize; not just 12 as koalabacon seems to believe.

Either way, this should go in Musician Talk, not here.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
might be chromatic, but if there is any other part of the song you'd like to show us, we can figure it out. if there is a definitive scale, you can harmonize using the relative major/minor, a triad, or anything else that sounds good.
yea. just try different chord structures with it. theres no one way to do it. some rules of thumb tho, usually, you try to avoid two half steps right next to each other in a scale (6,5 is one, 5,4 is another), and you try to avoid having 5ths the entire time your harmonizing. you begin to lose the notes and just hear the quality. these are just usually.
If you want to harmonize in 3rds you can just go up 2 notes in the scale (ie a minor or major 3rd interval). In your case it's a short chromatic passage, so I would try frets 5 4 3 on the upper D string (for major 3rds) or 4 3 2 on D string (minor 3rds). This is parallel harmonization. Normally the intervals change if you stay diatonic within the scale.

I did a free video on harmonizing metal riffs on go to youtube[dot]com/user/wkriski
i can't post urls quite yet.
Quote by liquidknowledg4
The guitar is tuned to C# standard. I just dont know what scale those 3 notes on the a string are in... How would this sound good harmonized? 3rds, 4ths, 6ths?

What's quicker, asking UG or trying out 3rds, 4ths and 6ths?

Oh and how do you find what scale a riff is in?

By understanding scales and listening.

That riff is chromatic. Pretty much anything goes, experiment.
I loled at the question.

Your question would be better if it was "how would I NOT harmonize this guitar line"

How can we tell what u will like? We can only give directions on what PROBABLY would or wouldn't sound good. Just Learn the theory about scales mentioned above, and use ur ear (I assume u have at least 1 if u play guitar) to decide whether u like it or not. If you can't tell this, then why do u make music?

If you gave a link or example of a harmonized guitar part that u like the sound of, we can definately, 100% totally help you. Now we are just taking random guesses.

Cause now the question is totally random **** and based on all our opinion's except for yours.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 19, 2008,