Well people, i have been off the forums for quite a while hehe.

I have a dilemma now, i am currently an owner of one SX bass guitar and i have been playing for roughly 4 years now (Guess the state of my bass?) I am currently planning to buy a new one. I can play stuff in the "Liek r3al f4st and stuff" list of the what songs list (YYZ just to point one out) And i play almost any style you can think of.

But that's not the dilemma hehe, that's something to be happy about instead xD
My real problem is my budget, all i have to spare on getting a new bass is $300 US dollars, no more, no less. I know i should focus on getting a new amp right now instead but my bass is practically falling into pieces (Those are stories for my grandchildren of me and my first bass guitar hehe). I am looking into suggestions on what bass to afford since i really don't look something for a particular style i am more after versatility overall on the bass and after this if god helps me i might get an amp :3

Any suggestion welcomed hehe

Line~
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Fender Standard Jazz bass sounds like what youre looking for.

Workhorse of thousands of bassist in many many genres of music. Used prices are good too!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
look at some low end LTDs like the B50 (or B55 ifyou are interested in a 5 string), these things are beasts and secksy too, also look at an Ibanez Sr300
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
SRX by Ibanez. though the Squier VM is great.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
squire vm jazz will be worth your time and money
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz?

Really versatile, & in many cases better than Fender MIM.

Plus its sexy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Really, you could buy almost any bass with that money and it would be miles better then an SX. My suggestion would be to get a Squire Modified Jazz or CV bass.
Versatility? You could get a used Peavey T-40 if you want...really heavy basses but they're about the most versatile thing you can buy for $300. They sound amazing, and have better quality than anything Fender's ever made. (seriously, it'd take an atom bomb to kill one)

If you want new, these are good as well. And yeah, a Fender Jazz is pretty much the default bass for someone in your position. They're good, no doubt about it, but you can do better if you look.

edit: And out of curiosity, what's gone wrong with the SX?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 11, 2008,
I'd say save up or go used.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
So, you guys are saying that i should go around this lines?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-4-AC-BXP-4String-Bass?sku=511400

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traben-Array-4String-Bass?sku=512053

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR300-Bass-Guitar?sku=517405

I think i will narrow it to this four basses guitar, i would LOVE is someone help me point out the pros and cons of them and what is my best option at the moment :<

My SX bass is suffering serious injuries after being in one or two humid places (No, it didnt got wet on purpose... It was on stage and rain started to fall >.< Sometimes the tone knob wont work and it's quite of a feat to tune it =.= Though i think that for the price i got it, it has lasted really LONG and most of way through it sound always like the singing bird i heard when i got it :3

So yeah, i wish you guys help me with this (On a sidenote, i can't personally try this basses since where i live, Dominican Republic, they try to sell you an squire for the price of a fender around 1,500 US dollars =.= And they BARELY have anything on stock...)

Out of those four, the two best basses, and most value for money are the Squire VM and the Ibanez Sr300.
the Sr300 would be the most versatile, cos of the onboard eq, and the fact that its a SR.
the squire would have a very nice Jazz tone.
both are of very good quality for the price range, infact good even compared to a bass of a higher price range.
Both basses would have very thin fast necks.
so it should be out of those two.
personally i would go for the ibanez cos i dont like fender looks XD
but both are equally good.
Since you gladly narrowed it from 4 to 2 and pointed plus and of boths i left this to my luck!~

I went on the heads for the Ibanez and tails for the VM and 25 FRIKKEN TIMES IN A ROW it ended tails... Is this a signal? Maybe i am destined to buy the VM, IMO i think it looks cool i had always prefered maple necks over rosewood fretboards (Looks sexiar ).

For now untill i get ahold of my credit card this 25th, this is my desicion, a VM.

Though i would still love if you guys would point out more things about them hehe.

the VM is great. I've considered getting one as a mod bass. it has very nice wood. the Ibanez, however, I believe it has better electronics. that slap-finger knob can be very useful.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

No! Not the coin flip of destiny! You weren't using a double-sided coin, WERE YOU?

I'm personally an Ibanez fanboy of sorts. Though yes, the VM Jazz is also great. I just prefer the higher degree of versatility one gets with a Soundgear. Or an Ergodyne.

The SR300 is a great option, though if you want some exposed-pole action (make sure you're 18 or older) the SRX is great too. And so is the VMJ. All of these basses also have amazing action, which is good for you according to your OP.

End word? Play them. Get your hands on some. I'm not talking about one of those really fake dates where you're acting all proper like somebody completely different just so you can get laid. Play these basses like you would at home. Or better yet, on stage. Then decide for yourself.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
If I could: which SX model is it? I've heard a lot of good things about those, and it may be more worth it to get it fixed than to scrap it. I know that the base basses (ha!) have solid alder bodies, two peice maple necks and pretty decent tuners and bridges for the price. IMO, throwing a Leo Quan Bad Ass II on it, replacing the electronics with CTS pots and a switchcraft jack and a ceramic cap, getting a graphite nut and putting duncan pickups in it would benefit you more than getting a new bass, unless you're just dying for a new bass.

I can't imagine quite what the humidity did to the bass, other than shorting the electronics or something, but... if you've got the P-bass model, a BAII, p/ups, electronics and nut should run you around 180-200 and if it's a J-bass or a P/J, tag on another 60. You'll get a bass with better appointments, tone and sustain than that of the squier. Vs. that Ibanez, it's a VERY differant monster, though. The two active soap-bar pickups will give you a VERY differant tone and feel than that squier or your SX are capbable of.
^ If going that route(fixing it), I'd go for Wilkinson tuners(guitarfetish has them for under $10), allparts pots, and a pickup of your choice if you feel necessary. The P pickups sound fine and are almost indistinguishable in tone from Fender P pups...can't vouch for the Jazz pups though. That's basically just to update the thing and make it work right...upgrades(like thomme said) and new basses are always good too. Maybe you could even do both?
Nope, no sig here.
the allpart pots are actually CTS pots, just to let you know. And if you through a Duncan SPB-2 or 3 in there, you'll get a very differant tone than a standard fender. If you put an SPB-1 or antiquity in there, it'll sound a lot better than that stock pickup. Higher quality magnets, better winding, etc. I tell you, going from standard p/ups in just about any bass to Dimarzio or Duncan p/ups gives you a decent upgrade in tone, whether or not you notice it all that much is really dependant on your ears.

But, Wilkinson tuners for under $10 a peice? Jeez, that's a good deal.
They're the same? I need to pay more attention. At least we had the same idea. And yeah, GF is an awesome place

Oh and TS, don't forget about the Peavey and the Traben completely...both companies are very generous on their pricing and generally make very good instruments. I've never played a millennium, but the Array is a really great instrument. The Vm's a good choice too though...you'll be happy with it if you get it.
Nope, no sig here.
So resuming what everyone have said, if i get any of the four bass guitars i posted a bit up it would be okay?

I think ima go to coin flinging semi-finals while including all four basses hehe Naw, jk, i am going to discuss it with a friend and the bit about the SX bass that i really didn't made it clear enough. The neck snapped after a stupid wall hang snapped and it fell to the floor (About 4 months old wall hang...) And it's so nasty i cried for about 2 hours my mom is here to prove it. I am pissed off mainly to god, if this is he's way of doing me a bad joke he totally fail at it. Gratefully i stopped believing a LONG time ago...

yeah, the whole guitar falling thing... that's cost me a couple of acoustics... one I actually fixed with wood glue and a vice grip. actually... 3/4 of the acoustics I've owned have had falling accidents... hmmm... lost the Ariana, cracked the Hondo's neck and put a crack in the Blueridge, the Sigma, though, never took a spill... did I really just rattle off 4 of the most obscure guitar companies?

In anycase, the Squier Jazz would be my suggestion, but just because I'm'a traditionalist when it comes to guitars. I vote democrat, but I play old school.
Quote by Thomme
yeah, the whole guitar falling thing... that's cost me a couple of acoustics... one I actually fixed with wood glue and a vice grip. actually... 3/4 of the acoustics I've owned have had falling accidents... hmmm... lost the Ariana, cracked the Hondo's neck and put a crack in the Blueridge, the Sigma, though, never took a spill... did I really just rattle off 4 of the most obscure guitar companies?

In anycase, the Squier Jazz would be my suggestion, but just because I'm'a traditionalist when it comes to guitars. I vote democrat, but I play old school.

I feel your pain bro... I just unscrewed the broken neck out of the body and have it as a memento in a little shrine like thing in my room (not hanging a wall, i just learned a valuable lesson), i gave it a hug my mom said it was like the hug from a father to hes child.

Guys, i decided to go for the Squier VM 70's, i like the clear looks it has and it's the one i think that will help me the most in the years to come hehe.

Thanks to everyone for their help in this matter, you guys made my desicion clearer. Really appreciate it hehe.

you are welcome.

seriously, it was all me.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Now, don't push it lol, it was a though desicion for me hehe