Hey guys! Alright so Im thinking about building a guitar, probably an explorer shape guitar that will be buying the body and neck off of Warmoth. I have a few questions.

1)What kind of pickups should I get? I usually play stuff like Metallica, Guns n' roses, AC/DC, etc, but I would like to have the possiblity of having really good cleans. I would prefer if the pickups were passive, cuz I dont really wanna be feeding them batteries. Thinking Dimarzio D Activator for the bridge, but Im not sure for the neck. If you have better suggestions, though, I'll gladly take them under consideration.

2) How hard is it to put a tremolo on, and what kind of good tremolo would be simple to put on?

3) For the neck, was thinking Mahogany, but unsure for the fretboard. Suggestions?

THANK YOU!
“It's all fun and games, until someone looses an eye...than it's fun and games you can't see anymore.”-James Hetfield
For your first guitar, I would probably stick with a hardtail. It's certainly doable for a trem, but it will make it much harder.

Rosewood is a good starter wood for your fretboard- if you wanted to make it easier places like stewmac sell pre-slotted fretboards; they'll help.

D Activator would be a good pickup choice.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
TUBABOY IS BACK!

I'll go pop my champagne, I've been saving it for your return!!!

1) Check out Seymour Duncans, they have a lot of versatility when it comes to humbuckers.

2) Everyone says hardtail is easier, but if you have a router and templates, doing a trem is easy.

3) Rosewood or Ebony look great on a mahogany neck.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Yeah, but ebony can be a bit more of a pain to work with.

And i've always liked dimarzios over SDs. And hardtail is easier. no doubt.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Indeed. Ebony that has a nice stripe in it, or is uniformly dyed black, totally looks sexy though.

So, for pure ease of use, go with a rosewood neck and a hard tail bridge.

EDIT: Some people say that due to better contact with the wood, and the lack of a cavity, hard tail bridges have better tone and sustain.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
That's what i'd say. though who knows, i'm kinda rusty.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Hes buying the body and neck on warmoth so everything will be done for him...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Hes buying the body and neck on warmoth so everything will be done for him...

Wow, way to not read the OP, myself.

In that case, get a regular tremolo. Why not have the versatility? If you don't like it, clamp down the springs real tight and unscrew the whammy bar.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Wow, i feel really stupid now.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!