Can someone clarify for me what the difference is between the add9 and sus2 chords please? I know that with the sus2, you just replace the third of the chord with the 2nd note of the key. Does the add9 add the ninth note of the scale and just not replace the third like the sus2? Example, Csus2 would be C,D,G- Cadd9 would be C,E,G,D? Is this correct? Thanks for the help.
To cut it short, yes, that's pretty much the gist of it.
Quote by rockadoodle
Can someone clarify for me what the difference is between the add9 and sus2 chords please? I know that with the sus2, you just replace the third of the chord with the 2nd note of the key. Does the add9 add the ninth note of the scale and just not replace the third like the sus2? Example, Csus2 would be C,D,G- Cadd9 would be C,E,G,D? Is this correct? Thanks for the help.

Si
Quote by rockadoodle
Yep, completely correct.

IMO (as in dont rely on this advice), you should always express chords as a triad first. As in if a chord can be a triad, its better to call it major such and such instead of sus whatever. Personally I'd rather call a C,D,G chord a D7 without a third or something, which is weird but not unheard of in 3 part writing. This is how some classical schools teach to describe this chord.