i think none, nor if a cabs hooked up, but if there speakers have the wrong resistance, then something can get hurt.

forgotten if its ya head or the peakers
*Enter Sig Here*
it's bad. can't tell you the specifics of it, but it's real bad, and you'll essentially end up frying your head.
The Head I turned it on standby mode with no speakers to see if the turbs where lighting up right(they where) but I didn't have the speakers hooked up, which I guess is a no, no, or at least that what I've been reading online.
I'm pretty sure if you are just on standby then nothing will happen.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
I'm pretty sure if you are just on standby then nothing will happen.

Exactly.

For the love of God don't take it off stand by though without it connected to a cab.
(quoted from sig)

AMPS
5150 1992 head
4x12 peavey Cab

yeah, i think we would all be devo if you fried it.

i wanna know the specifics of it, any amp monger in here, fill us in!
*Enter Sig Here*
in standby mode, shit all happens because there's no signal being sent to the speakers, meaning there is no resistance needed.

if you turn it on and theres no speaker, there is no immediate damage. what will happen is because there is no resistance made by a speaker cabinet for the energy, it will wear down your tubes a lot quicker by overheating... (i'm not sure if its overheating or it causes something else).

same applies for having a cab of lower resistance. because not all of the energy is being resisted, it comes back to the amp and wears down the tubes.
this happens:

JUST DON'T DO IT!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
what EVER your thinking bud dont do it :P: i was thinking of doing the same thing and thinking maybe if it had a head phone jack it would work too....nope....get a combo
It'll fry the powertubes at the least, you'll probably destroy the output transformer, which isn't cheap to have replaced.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
It'll fry the powertubes at the least, you'll probably destroy the output transformer, which isn't cheap to have replaced.

He is right. I've heard of a few older Marshalls basically going to amp heaven because someone flipped the switches on to see if it "worked" and killed them off in this manner.

(This is different from the death of Marshall MGs, which are often killed and sent to amp heaven by their owners on purpose. )
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....