So for christmas I'm probably gonna get an amp and the parental units need to know what one I want. I am probably gonna get a Peavey but I was wondering how good the Vypyr series is? Can you tell me the pros and cons of this one? I

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910

plan on playing blues/classic rock and some metal. Does it have good tone? How does it sound loud? Tell all you can about this amp. Also is it a tube amp?
First, no it is not a tube amp. It won't be as loud as a tube amp because it's solid state, but it should be able to keep up with drums seeing as it's 75 watts. Don't know about the tone though. Hope I could help.
all i can tell you is that its not a tube amp, and theyre supposed to give you a very wide range of tones, because they combine every peavey amp into one
My friend has the peavey 30, it has a fairly nice tone. It is pretty complex with all of the effects and amp models, but I'd say its a pretty versatile amp. I would recommend the 30 though, cause the the 75 is really really loud even at like 3. The 75 is not a tube amp. There are plenty of sounds you can get out of it, and can probably do what your looking for.
so Pros:
-versatile starter amp
-plenty of effects and amp models to choose
-footswitch allows for looping and changing settings
-loud

Cons:
-doesnt have terrific tone, but still not too bad
-can get dam confusing with all the settings
-gets muddy when cranked

Definitely suggest trying it out if possible. Also how loud do you need your amp? are you gigging, just practicing at home, or jamming with friends?

P.S. nice avatar!
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Im sure the 30 will be loud enough, my friends vypyr 30 can definitely overpower our drummer
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
go to a guitar center or sam ash and try them out for yourself, its really the only way youll know whats best for you
or you could wait just a little while because there is a tube model comming out if you don't know already and it's 60w around $440 if thats any good advice.
the Vypyrs are very nice amps
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"