Christmas is coming up and i will be getting some money with witch I planned on buying a Line 6 Toneport so I can start getting into home recording. I was wondering if the Toneport UX2 is worth the extra money or if the UX1 is just as good. I saw that the UX2 has more inpurts for another mic and another guitar input but is that the only difference?
Sienna> Everyone Else
pretty much. the extra inputs are good if you wanna record something with your other guitarist at the same time. if its just for you then get the UX1.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by TisPyon
Toneports are terrible take it from me my bandmate has one

Is there anything in that price range($100-200)
that you would recommend instead?
Sienna> Everyone Else
uhm u might want to look into the line of recording stuff that Boss has but my first hand experiences with a toneport where bad
The Ux2 is worth it if your planning on recording with stereo mics, the 2nd guitar input is for active instruments.

All in all i've been very impressed with mine, the gear box software is fantastic, i no longer use my microcube for practice, and just use the pc with Gear box (which has a built tuner/can jam along to tracks with the build in music player, even slow down songs and repeat sections on loop).
From what I know, the UX2 can only record two mics or two guitars at the same time when choosing two inputs.

I highly suggest getting a different interface for a little more money. The preamp and software used with the Toneports are not all that great. I had a Toneport UX1 at the beginning of the year and when I could get it working, I didnt like the distortion channels on GearBox at all...cleans were ok.

The Mackie Onyx Satellite (not for vista...), PreSonus Firebox, PreSonus Inspire, and EMU 0404 USB are all great.

look around the $200 range, that;s where you start getting into some nice interfaces for the price.

BTW see the pinned post at the top for reviews on gear, I put a review in for the UX1
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 10, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
From what I know, the UX2 can only record two mics or two guitars at the same time when choosing two inputs.

I highly suggest getting a different interface for a little more money. The preamp and software used with the Toneports are not all that great. I had a Toneport UX1 at the beginning of the year and when I could get it working, I didnt like the distortion channels on GearBox at all...cleans were ok.

The Mackie Onyx Satellite (not for vista...), PreSonus Firebox, PreSonus Inspire, and EMU 0404 USB are all great.

look around the $200 range, that;s where you start getting into some nice interfaces for the price.

BTW see the pinned post at the top for reviews on gear, I put a review in for the UX1

I just checked out the Makie Onyx Satellite and I think Ill be doing quite a bit more research on interfaces before I make a purchase. I just liked the toneports because they were cheaper and seemed like something good to learn on and there are some people that say they really like them. Is there other programs like Gearbox that would work with the Makie Onyx Satellite or how would I be recording guitar, just plugged straight in to it?? Sorry Im a super noob when it comes to recording gear, and Im not that technologically advanced.
Sienna> Everyone Else
I have it! If you combine it with Guitar Rig and impulses, you can get yourself a PRO sound

Oh, and you can record either 2 mics, 2 instruments, or 1 mic and 1 instrument at the same time
Last edited by insideac at Dec 15, 2008,
All the units that moody recommended are quality, and are better than the Toneport. As for how to record your guitar with them, why not mic up your amp? Most people prefer the sound they get with that approach, and Gearbox is hardly renowned for being high quality amp modelling.

If you really want to use modelling software, then Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and Revalver are all quality, but don't come cheap and need a fair bit of tweaking to get the best sounds. I'd just get a decent interface and mic my amp if I were you.
There is poetry in despair.
I have one, I think for the price it is pretty decent. But still have a look around because you might find something that is better for you.

Don't use the ableton software that comes with it though (or it did when i bought it a few years ago). Its a limited version and generally not very good.

It is easy to use, and you can get some good tones with gearbox that you can download for free as well as make your own. But if you don't like gearbox, you could always record in to cubase or whatever with a dry signal then add effects afterwards.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2