So my parents said I could get either a guitar or an amp for christmas thats under $1,000. I have a Gibson SG right now, and a practice amp that works pretty darn well. Its very clean and can crank out tunes when it needs too. I'm just wondering what you guys think. I could go for a new Marshall, or a new Strat I'm not sure which though. Help!
^^Troll GTFO.

To TS: Get a new amp, because that guitar is pretty sweet.
What styles do you play?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^^You're not funny.

Well, what amp do you have?

EDIT: Get a new amp. The Gibson is great, but definatly upgrade from a starter amp.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by Fender Usa
Get a Marshall MG or a Line 6 spider III

I'm reporting you. That isn't a suggestion, you only said it because it is the opposite of what you should say. It's not even funny, and it is a terrible suggestion.

Quote by austinb0309
So my parents said I could get either a guitar or an amp for christmas thats under $1,000. I have a Gibson SG right now, and a practice amp that works pretty darn well. Its very clean and can crank out tunes when it needs too. I'm just wondering what you guys think. I could go for a new Marshall, or a new Strat I'm not sure which though. Help!

In terms of factory made guitars, an Gibson SG standard is among the best you can get. You will see no vast improvement with any other high end Gibson, Fenderm Ibanez, what have you.

If you need another guitar for a different sound, then get it, If you need better tone, then get a new amp, and if you want a better quality guitar, go to a luthier.

What amp do you have now, and what style of music do you play?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Nov 10, 2008,
i say get a bugera 333xl 212
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I have a crappy epiphone starter, which is actually better than it sounds. It can get pretty loud and it sounds pretty good even compared to higher end amps (definitely not $300+ Marshalls or what have you). I was thinking of getting another guitar, maybe a strat or a mockingbird for a different sound, but an new amp would definitely be a good idea too. I play mostly classic rock like guns n roses, ac dc, and then a lot of chili peppers. Any suggestion for what kind of amp/guitar?
GET THE AMP! your SG is good. there is no need to upgrade. However, a good 1000 dollar tube amp would be amazing too. If you buy a Peavey Classic 30 for 600, you still have 400 left over for a bunch of pedals, or whatever you want to buy. stick with the amp and pedals. those will change your sound more drastically than a new guitar.
Quote by austinb0309

Amp, with S1,000, you can get a tube or a stack. You'll amazed at the sound of a new amp.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
If you don't get an amp you're kinda foolish. You have a quality guitar already and a little practice amp? Remember, it's something like 5% of your tone comes from your guitar and the rest comes from your amp.

Or I'm just making that up.
Duuuuude.

Buy a sick used tube amp. You already have a nice guitar, but it sounds like you don't have a nice amp. Look for a used Marshall JCM2000 or something. craigslist is your friend.
The guitar seems to be very nice, and a new amp would open up many doors for you.

I'd go for a really nice, versatile amp.

What kind of music do you play?
In a band?
Planning on doing gigs/performing?
Anything else we should know?
Tubular amp bro, thats where its at!
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
I play mostly classic rock and a lot of RHCP. Besides that some weezer, and alternative like gin blossoms. I'm not "in a band" but my friends and I play a lot of shows at our school (about 6 or 7 a year) and I'm tired of borrowing shitty amps from our school so that people can hear me in the audience. I'm just looking for a really versitale amp, preferably marshall
Last edited by austinb0309 at Nov 10, 2008,
Definately a new amp, especially if you already have a Gibson.
Get a nice Tube amp, I suggest trying to find a good Marshall.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
AMP!
Depending on where you are might be able to get a better deal,but in AUS a second marshall tube would set you back about $2000 (with a quad box).That's why I'm going for a bugera 333xl.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.