This thread is to discuss John Paul Jones from a bass players point of view.

Does he have any influence on you as a player?

Why do you like/dislike him?

Hell just discuss!

To start, does he always use a pick now?
Back in the days he would always fingerpick but now I see him playing with a pick
Only the blue sky and the green grass
Go on forever in this world
Where seconds feel like eternity
And years pass in blink of an eye
well i play guitar not bass, but i think jpj rocks.
anddd idk but this may fall under the jurisdiction of the only led zep thread...
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Quote by IZZYs88
i think this is in the wrong forum

no it's not.

JPJ is a great bassist. Lemon Song, anybody?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
no it's not.

JPJ is a great bassist. Lemon Song, anybody?

What is and What Never Should Be too
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I'm going to sit here and wait to see what negative things people have to say about him.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I think he was great. He had great songs like Communication Breakdown and Immigrant song. I guess he influenced me because Led Zeppelin influenced me.
i love everything about JPJ. his walking basslines, his Alembic, his white suit.

i want that Alembic. and the white suit.
Quote by thefitz
I'm going to sit here and wait to see what negative things people have to say about him.

I am rather disappointed he never made a pact with the dark side like the rest of band. Uppity moralist bastard.

I love JPJ--he took blues/rock bass playing and took it to a completely different level. His lock and timing with Bonzo was just wonderful.
I still can't play the Lemon Song all the way through.

I've been trying to learn for a couple months to...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
I still can't play the Lemon Song all the way through.

I've been trying to learn for a couple months to...

Take it in on in its respective sections and take it on slow. It helps if you know your arpeggiated chords and the chord sequence for the song. Plus as I've said before, you learn the Lemon song you also learn the entire song "Killing Floor" by Howling Woof
^That's my problem, I never bother learning all of his part. I usually just end up improvising over what I'm supposed to play (what JPJ plays in the studio recording). It's not that it sounds bad but it's not nearly as good as the original.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
He is an amazing bassist, for sure. Infact i think (puts up flame sheild) he's better then Jack Bruce or Entwistle. It's just that he was overshadowed by the mega egos of Page and Plant and he never really got recognition. But yes, listen to the first two Zep records, those have some of the greatest rock/blues bass work you will ever hear. Also he is a accomplished keyboard player which i think carries over into his bass work alot.

EDIT some one correct me on this but wasn't John one of the first to use Alembic's aswell?
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 10, 2008,
An extremely talented muscian. Not just bass but keyboard, mandolin, cello, clarinet...this could go on for hours.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

EDIT some one correct me on this but wasn't John one of the first to use Alembic's aswell?

Nope that honour goes to Jack Casady. Not surprising since the company worked closely in the late sixties with Jefferson Airplane on their live sound equipment and systems.
Trying to learn the Lemon Song the exact way JPJ does is just stupid. JPJ doesn't even play it exactly the way he did on the recording...

I'm a huge fan of JPJ. He's a great musician. I like his bass work, his keyboard work is sick as well. Whenever I play my 8 string bass I think of JPJ since he pulls off the octave bass very well in rock music.

EDIT: I know this is a JPJ thread but I'd just like to say I am not a fan of Jack Bruce in any way. I think he is overrated... that is all.
Originally posted by Fendon
your freakin ugly bud

do you have cancer?
I learnt Lemon Song note for note, not so i could sit and play it exactly like JPJ did, but to learn about Blues bass. That song taught me how to play Blues bass. its a work of art

double bruce hate? how is this possible?

I will admit this- tonally, JPJ kills Bruce.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Pizza The Hut

If my mammary is correct, Jack Cassady was the first, followed by Entwistle, followed by JPJ. JPJ used all the cool looking Alembics, not those halibut-looking Series I Alembics.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
If my mammary is correct, Jack Cassady was the first, followed by Entwistle, followed by JPJ. JPJ used all the cool looking Alembics, not those halibut-looking Series I Alembics.

I'm a big fan of JPJ. The fast line in Dazed and Confused destroys me because I just don't have the stamina.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

fitz regularly talks to his chest.

didn't ya know?

I'm surprised we haven't had something about Black Dog's timing yet...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard