I am looking for a nice acoustic bass for around $200. I am liking the Epiphone El Segundo IV. Does anyone know how this bass is or can recommend me a different one if there is a better one for around the same price.
This is the picture.
Attachments:
EBS3NACH1_ip.jpg
There are no good acoustic basses for around $200. None under $1000.

I played several gigantic Epiphone acoustic basses and I couldn't hear them over the din of the room I played them in. Avoid.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I was just going to order it online but thanks for telling me about this im going to keep looking i guess. Anyone else no of a good cheap acoustic bass?
Ummm... Unlike acoustic guitars or regular basses there really isn't much of anything in that price range aside from Johnson, but you don't want to buy that. I've got a Spencer sab900, it was about $300 I think. It's not bad (it certanly isn't the greatest) but I like the way it sounds and plays.
Okay thanks. The only other question i had was can the sound compete with the sound level of normal acoustic guitars?
In my experience no. If I have to play with acoustic guitarists, I either use my fretless or my Pbass clone with a small amp (30 - 50)
Yeah, no way an unplugged acoustic bass guitar keeps up with even one acoustic guitar player. Could maybe keepup with finger style picking, but I've tried it with a friend that strums without a pick, and even that hand strumming completely drowns out the bass.
The only acoustic basses I've ever heard that kept up with acoustic guitars was the Tacoma Thundercheif and the Martin BHUIOsdhg9puis7g98werptsoidghoefs or whatever they call it. Even then, you need to dig in with a pick hard to be heard.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Samick/Greg Bennett makes some darn good ones, IMO. They're really warm sounding compared to most, and at while not especially loud in general, they're above average as far as ABG's go. Very Ibanez-like necks. Mine was $300 new, I'm sure there's cheaper ones out there. Michael Kelly and Ibanez also make good ones.

That said, buying one in the first place takes an informed decision. If you're buying to play with acoustic guitars, you'll either need one of those battery-powered Roland amps, or a pick and something large and made of wood to push the thing up against to use as a makeshift soundboard.

If you're buying it for the tone, then get a darned good one...most cheaper ones don't have an amplified tone that's different enough that non-musicians could tell the difference.

If you get one to practice with, however, then go for the one that feels best to you. They are a great thing to have around the house because you can just pick them up and play, without worrying about messing with the amp or staying within the cord's reach. It's nice to be able to carry your bass to the next room and keep playing.

edit: This little guy would be awesome. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Mobile-Cube-Battery-Powered-Stereo-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482467
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 11, 2008,