Page 1 of 2
As some of you know, I plan to be a bass performance major. I decided to make a thread instead of spamming the forum plan asking questions to Dan. My first choice school is Berklee and I'm thinking of using Flow My Tears by Stuart Hamm for the audition.

Discuss things, comment, give school suggestions (I haven't applied anywhere yet so there are still many possibilities), and audition suggestions. I don't see how this could be against the rules, but I'll delete if it is.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
classical thump by victor wooten would always go over well with the schools.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by sabres61

I don't know if excessive "oh, look at me" wankery would actually impress at an audition. I'd much rather hear a piece of music at an audition than a double thumbing exercise.
If you want a guaranteed spot at Berklee, and perhaps a job as teacher, learn Chromatic Fantasty on upright

Someone on my Star Spangled Banner video mentioned that they did it at a music exam and got 95% - you might want to check that out if you want to do the Stu.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Sweet. When are you going to be applying? (I'm an australian, so we apply at a completely different time I think).

I would kill to go to Berklee. The online courses are probably what I'll end up doing, unless I can get accepted, in which case I would be dragging my Australian arse over to America

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by thefitz
If you want a guaranteed spot at Berklee, and perhaps a job as teacher, learn Chromatic Fantasty on upright

Someone on my Star Spangled Banner video mentioned that they did it at a music exam and got 95% - you might want to check that out if you want to do the Stu.

Thanks for the tip fitz. Link please?

Quote by Low_End_Rocker
Sweet. When are you going to be applying? (I'm an australian, so we apply at a completely different time I think).

I would kill to go to Berklee. The online courses are probably what I'll end up doing, unless I can get accepted, in which case I would be dragging my Australian arse over to America

I'm applying right now actually. You should apply, they'll have an Australian audition I'm sure.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Dave, I have a question. Are you looking towards a liberal arts college with a major in music or more of all music centric experience, like Berklee or the Philly Conservatory of Music?
Quote by anarkee
Dave, I have a question. Are you looking towards a liberal arts college with a major in music or more of all music centric experience, like Berklee or the Philly Conservatory of Music?

More of the second, but a Berklee degree is a liberal arts degree as well.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave

I'm applying right now actually. You should apply, they'll have an Australian audition I'm sure.

Yeah, I read that about 25% of students who attend Berklee College are international students.

Haha, I wish I could apply right now, but I'm only 15. I'm planning on finish school and then attending Box Hill TAFE, which is one of Victoria's best music schools, getting a degree there, then applying for Berklee

Sanity is not statistical
I've know a few people who have gone through the University of the Pacific Conservatory of Music program. Its also the home to the Brubeck (that being Dave Brubeck) Institute as well. The only issue is that its in Stockton, CA, not exactly the most glamorous hot spot in CA. The University of Rochester is also well known for its program (Eastman School of Music)

I would make sure any school also teaches music business or a possible fall back course if your plan A doesn't quite work out. I'm not being a downer here, but trying to be a bit of a devil's advocate based on some real life experience. This is why having a liberal arts school with a music program can some times be a good thing as well when looking at potential universities and colleges.
Quote by anarkee
I've know a few people who have gone through the University of the Pacific Conservatory of Music program. Its also the home to the Brubeck (that being Dave Brubeck) Institute as well. The only issue is that its in Stockton, CA, not exactly the most glamorous hot spot in CA. The University of Rochester is also well known for its program (Eastman School of Music)

I would make sure any school also teaches music business or a possible fall back course if your plan A doesn't quite work out. I'm not being a downer here, but trying to be a bit of a devil's advocate based on some real life experience. This is why having a liberal arts school with a music program can some times be a good thing as well when looking at potential universities and colleges.

Yeah, right now my plan is performance degree with masters in education. They don't let you declare a major at berklee until after one semester, and I don't think you can declare performance until after 3 but I could be wrong.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Play "Sting of the Bumblebee" at the audition, it will melt their face.

Never did like that piece much off the piano, it is such a bitch to keep clean on other instruments.

Thats assuming you meant Flight of the Bumblebee...
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
^But the mp3 says Sting of the Bumblebee! And it also says it's Yngwie!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
^But the mp3 says Sting of the Bumblebee! And it also says it's Yngwie!

Limewire

the fact that its associated with him forces me to reject it, plus I'm sure they want to hear a piece of music, not some red-fro'd kid "shredding his way into college"
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
^The fact that it was actually a Manowar bass solo and NOT Yngwie is even better!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Nikki197666
Never did like that piece much off the piano, it is such a bitch to keep clean on other instruments.

Thats assuming you meant Flight of the Bumblebee...

Okay then how bout Continumm?
I was also thinking of applying to Berklee or going to the University of the Arts in Philly. Which do you think the judges would want to hear more: the Lemon Song, Chromatic Fantasy, or YYZ? Cause I pretty much have YYZ and Lemon Song down and I don't know if its worth the time I could be spending on sight reading to learn Chromatic Fantasy.
Quote by anarkee
The only issue is that its in Stockton, CA, not exactly the most glamorous hot spot in CA.

If you go to stockton, chain all your posessions to something immovable (tree, fire hydrant). It'll get nicked otherwise.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by FullMetalBass
I was also thinking of applying to Berklee or going to the University of the Arts in Philly. Which do you think the judges would want to hear more: the Lemon Song, Chromatic Fantasy, or YYZ? Cause I pretty much have YYZ and Lemon Song down and I don't know if its worth the time I could be spending on sight reading to learn Chromatic Fantasy.

Don't, the judges all hate rock or anything that isn't classical.

My question is why does it matter if you can get into a music school or not? It's not like they are gonna let you play anything remotely interesting. You are better off learning your favorite music with like minded people and just have a career in a band.
i'm studying popular music as a degree and i can assure you i'm not getting into at least £15g just to play some boring shit. i've been given 2 pieces of music to score and learn so far and they are superstition by stevie wonder and the chicken by jaco
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I too am applying for Berklee. I am going for a Jazz Studies major with an electric guitar focus. I am thinking of doing the song Dead or Alive, only I improvise in a solo and for the intro riff, I tap it.

What I am most worried though is sight reading and the jazz piece. Remember, to get into Berklee you need TWO pieces, a personal and a jazz piece.

Oh, and if we audition in the same place, I am totally taking you down.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Look at Oberlin too. I heard they have a really good music conservatory, but they only take auditions on double bass.
Quote by hippiebass
Look at Oberlin too. I heard they have a really good music conservatory, but they only take auditions on double bass.

I don't play double bass

Where is Oberlin?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Don't, the judges all hate rock or anything that isn't classical.

My question is why does it matter if you can get into a music school or not? It's not like they are gonna let you play anything remotely interesting. You are better off learning your favorite music with like minded people and just have a career in a band.

Yeah, and even though it's kinda hard, YYZ without the guitar and drums will just be shigadoodadeedadeedooo.. shigadoodadeedadee bom bom bom.. over and over.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Quote by anarkee

hey Tam, how have you heard of this jsut becasue of its credibality or from actual people becasue i was think on transfers there or to Ithaca College (you may or may have not heard of it). but see how i live in upstate NY i was lloking at those two becasue the current college im at is quite up to par Binghmanton University. but have you heard things about U of R from epople or were you just named droping ideas for the TS?
One of my nieces went there a few years ago. She now teaches music at the high school level and plays in a community orchestra. She loved the program and had no problem landing a teaching job upon graduation.
Quote by sabres61

I know it's a delayed response, but I think Classical Thump would not be a smart idea. Wankery aside, it's just very, very hard to play cleanly. Not even Victor Wooten sounds clean when he plays it. A lot of scuffed notes, speeding up, and slowing down.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by fudger
hey Tam, how have you heard of this jsut becasue of its credibality or from actual people becasue i was think on transfers there or to Ithaca College (you may or may have not heard of it). but see how i live in upstate NY i was lloking at those two becasue the current college im at is quite up to par Binghmanton University. but have you heard things about U of R from epople or were you just named droping ideas for the TS?

Eastman is an incredible jazz school. It's ranked with Julliard and McGill as far as music schools go. It has a reputation as being one of the best Jazz schools in North America.

On an unrelated note, is that the same Ithaca as the one from Road Trip?
Quote by Low_End_Rocker

I wouldn't do the online classes - they're not much better than a community college music class, they're just as unlikely to transfer (online credits, let alone online music credits, rarely transfer), and they are more expensive significantly. Although I don't know Australia's community college situation, I admit it.

Quote by slaptasticdave

they should even have one posted for when & where they're going if you look at berklee.edu.

Quote by slaptasticdave
Yeah, right now my plan is performance degree with masters in education. They don't let you declare a major at berklee until after one semester, and I don't think you can declare performance until after 3 but I could be wrong.

so you want a bachelor's in performance and a master's in education? why not a bachelor's in education and a master's in performance?
(that is a serious question for the record.)

ps you are aware that Berklee offers no master's or phd (ie no graduate studies), correct? they allow you to do an accelerated master's in Music business at Suffolk after if thats your major, but it doesn't sound like that you have an inkling for the business side of it and I don't blame you.

Quote by fudger

Ithaca I know someone who goes there, and its a good school of music but I've heard from 1 or 2 people that have transferred from there to Marywood (where i go - not to self promote) that Ithaca is harsher on the side classes (ie class piano and the like) but far easier on what I consider to be the more important things (ie aural skills & music theory.)

an audition should really show two things:
1, you can read sheet music moderately well.
2, you can play music tastefully.

if you're auditioning for jazz, it should also show you can improvise responsibly and melodically.

if you're audition for performance, you also want to show that you have an above average ability on your instrument. This does not mean show something totally wanky. It does mean show something that is hard to read, if not impossible to site-read.

I went through this whole process last year at this time if you want to ask any questions. I don't consider myself a genius on the subject, but I feel I could be of more us to you than most people here.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Low_End_Rocker
Yeah, I read that about 25% of students who attend Berklee College are international students.

Haha, I wish I could apply right now, but I'm only 15. I'm planning on finish school and then attending Box Hill TAFE, which is one of Victoria's best music schools, getting a degree there, then applying for Berklee

thats what my bass teacher did i think. he said that out of 50 people only 10 or so people actually graduated. i also think you should know that my teacher is a very highly skilled bassist so you're going to the right place

who knows maybe il see you there?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by anarkee
One of my nieces went there a few years ago. She now teaches music at the high school level and plays in a community orchestra. She loved the program and had no problem landing a teaching job upon graduation.

oh ok thanks. casue im looking to switching colleges and U of R, Ithaca and Maryood(i was considering before UtBDan started praising it) but Marywood is out of state so i don't know how it will effect financial aid and my girl friend.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Eastman is an incredible jazz school. It's ranked with Julliard and McGill as far as music schools go. It has a reputation as being one of the best Jazz schools in North America.

On an unrelated note, is that the same Ithaca as the one from Road Trip?

yes its the same college lol. Ithaca has some awsome local bands i love them!!!

The Rozatones!!!
these guys rock. if you like funk/jazz/RnB you need to look at them they rock.

i would love to go to Ithaca seeing how its only 30 mins from me but they aren't taking any electric bass students and i can't afford a double bass as of right now
Quote by UtBDan
so you want a bachelor's in performance and a master's in education? why not a bachelor's in education and a master's in performance?
(that is a serious question for the record.)

ps you are aware that Berklee offers no master's or phd (ie no graduate studies), correct? they allow you to do an accelerated master's in Music business at Suffolk after if thats your major, but it doesn't sound like that you have an inkling for the business side of it and I don't blame you.

My goal is to be a touring bassist, those are the classes are I want to take. The education masters would just be so that I could teach if I really wanted to.

I wasn't planning on getting a masters at Berklee.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
My goal is to be a touring bassist, those are the classes are I want to take. The education masters would just be so that I could teach if I really wanted to.

If you want to be a touring bassist pack your stuff, head to NY/LA and hang with all the cats you can find.

Berklee, or any music school for that matter won't immediately make you into some killer player that will get all the gigs/girls (Delete as applicable) in fact most of the things learnt at the schools can be learnt anywhere with a solid teacher and good self-discipline.

The real benefit of music schools comes from the networking oppurtunities that arise, that way your name as a solid bassist (assuming you are one) gets around and people start to want you to play bass on their demo/album etc.

I seriously wouldn't reccomend dropping the $30k (?!) a year for a Berklee course that wouldn't necessarily be the best school for you to go to. Partly because from what I know Berklee is a jazz based school primarly. Not that there's anything wrong with that but if you're looking at becoming a contemporary pop performer then chances are it wouldn't necessary hone your skills into what you're after.

In my opinion somewhere like the LA music academy would be alot more beneficial to what you're trying to acheive. Tal Wilkenfeld graduated there at age 19, and was playing with Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colutia by 22.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Thats what I mean, touring with an established artist. Not working my way up from the ground.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave

The reason I asked is because all master's degrees in education require a bachelor's... in education. unless you get a master's in just general education or secondary education, in which case you could do it and just do the bachelor's worth of education...

but for a master's in Music Ed, they generally require you get a bachelor's in Music Education specifically, as the master's part of it features primarily on how to teach and improving it and the knowledge that's already there.

Quote by Forcemaster
If you want to be a touring bassist pack your stuff, head to NY/LA and hang with all the cats you can find.

Berklee, or any music school for that matter won't immediately make you into some killer player that will get all the gigs/girls (Delete as applicable) in fact most of the things learnt at the schools can be learnt anywhere with a solid teacher and good self-discipline.

The real benefit of music schools comes from the networking oppurtunities that arise, that way your name as a solid bassist (assuming you are one) gets around and people start to want you to play bass on their demo/album etc.

I seriously wouldn't reccomend dropping the $30k (?!) a year for a Berklee course that wouldn't necessarily be the best school for you to go to. Partly because from what I know Berklee is a jazz based school primarly. Not that there's anything wrong with that but if you're looking at becoming a contemporary pop performer then chances are it wouldn't necessary hone your skills into what you're after.

In my opinion somewhere like the LA music academy would be alot more beneficial to what you're trying to acheive. Tal Wilkenfeld graduated there at age 19, and was playing with Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colutia by 22.

the networking bit is 100% true. Someone at any music school you go to will get a job, and need someone to do something. If I need a percussionist I'm calling Tara K, if I need a drummer I'm calling John, if I need a guitarist I'm calling Kropa or Kirby, if they need a bassist they call Dan. It's just all networking.

A performance degree alone means very little unless you are already the top performer.
This is just my say of it, you can pursue performance, but it's a hard path to find steady work. I agree with most all ForceMaster had to say.

Quote by slaptasticdave
Thats what I mean, touring with an established artist. Not working my way up from the ground.

doing this will involve getting hired to do studio work and being free to do tour work. This will most likely involve an incredible sense of luck.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
So I'm thinking now I might learn Goodbye Pork Pie Hat by Marcus Miller and use that for the audition, since you get piano accompaniment. Good idea, it sound ok without a fretless, right?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by Forcemaster

Tal Wilkenfeld graduated there at age 19, and was playing with Jeff Beck and Vinnie Colutia by 22.

How? considering you finish highschool when your 18. Just wondering.

Honestly I think she's probably one of the most overrated bassists I've ever seen. How did she land a gig with Jeff Beck?

I suspect she got where she is because of her tits.
Page 1 of 2