Is this just a case of putting a volume pedal on in your fx loop? Eitherway would it work for a 5150 because it has no master volume?
Things in the effects loop are BEFORE the poweramp, not after it. And if you were to put a volume pedal between the power amp and the speakers you would blow it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Things in the effects loop are BEFORE the poweramp, not after it. And if you were to put a volume pedal between the power amp and the speakers you would blow it.

so does that mean it will work with the 5150?
No. This means you will destroy a perfectly good volume pedal if you try your idea.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
No. This means you will destroy a perfectly good volume pedal if you try your idea.

if i put a volume pedal in my fx loop it will destroy the pedal?!?
Quote by Caparisoner

No. If you put it in your effects loop it will not act as an attenuator. Attenuators come after the power amp so you get the full tone of your amp but at a lower volume. Putting a volume pedal in your effects loop would place it before the power amp.

If you put the volume pedal between the head and the cab then it would ruin the pedal and most likely your amp as well. Attenuators place a load on the amp whereas a volume pedal wouldn't.
Quote by Caparisoner

No, if you put one in between the power amp and the speakers it will destroy the pedal. There's a lot of power in the speaker wires.

An amp goes like this:

Guitar -> Preamp -> effects loop -> poweramp -> attenuator if you have one -> speakers

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

An attenuator goes between the head and the cab. The "active ingredient" is a power resistor or a speaker motor, depending on the model.
Yes you can throw a volume pedal in the fx loop and it works perfectly for what its intended. Which is pushing the preamp tubes to get them good and saturated but allowing the volume to be low. Which is basically turning a no master volume amp into a master volume amp.

People tend to flip out when you use the word attenuator and they dont understand or take the time to understand what your actually wanting to use something for.
But, doesn't a 5150 have a master volume?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yes you can throw a volume pedal in the fx loop and it works perfectly for what its intended. Which is pushing the preamp tubes to get them good and saturated but allowing the volume to be low. Which is basically turning a no master volume amp into a master volume amp.

People tend to flip out when you use the word attenuator and they dont understand or take the time to understand what your actually wanting to use something for.

thank you!
Quote by Kevin Saale
But, doesn't a 5150 have a master volume?

yeah but its called "Post Gain" or something i think. i used to have a 5150

i think you are confusing master volume with the final speaker volume thread starter. the master volume is what lets you get a high gain sound at any volume. an attenuator will reduce the overall volume coming out of the speakers.

this is mainly used to get more of a classic rock overdrive out of the power tubes but i dont think the 5150 is really meant to do that.

if you have a volume pedal you can try it in the loop but its not going to be reducing the volume as youd hoped. well atleast its not going to reduce the volume without cleaning up your sound at the same time.

DONT put the volume pedal between the head and cab. sod the damage to the volume pedal, your amp will almost surely be fried in the same instant as the pedal goes, and to the point of being written off as scrap
Wow... A LOT of misconceptions here...

Gain control is usually after the first or second gain stage.

MV is after (usually) the last gain stage, or right after the PI.

Attenuator attenuates the signal out of the OUTPUT TRANSFORMER (not the speaker.. that's called a blanket..).

And they all are very different things.

The 5150 DOES have a Master Volume. And getting an attenuator for this amp isn't that useful as most high gain amps are designed with clean, neutral, high headroom power amps. Furthermore attenuators work best in a live/loud setting, not room use.