PROJECT COMPLETE! (scroll to bottom)

so i ordered a A\B Switch from GGG on friday as a beginner project and it came today. im pretty pumped. i just gotta get paint and stuff on wednesday and ill be able to start painting the enclosure, in the mean time ill get to soldering. im probably gunna switch out the LED's for two blue ones so it matches the color scheme ill be doing...no biggie. anybody know how to tell if they are 3mm or 5mm besides measuring them

and i will either make a new thread or just use this one to show ya'll updates on how the painting and building of it is going

oooooo packing peanuts!

Last edited by AJS19 at Nov 11, 2008,
hope it works out for ya. I did a fuzz pedal i got from small bear electronics and lets just say it didn't exactly work out perfectly. now i got a $40 kill switch. soon to be fixed though hopefully
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Woooooooo! Awesome, good luck mang.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
thanks. it shouldnt be too bad due to the fact that there is no PCB.
but im probably gunna order a confidence booster pedal from BYOC to break me into that.
and i really wanna make a phaser too lol im already addicted haha
The only way to tell the size of LEDs is to compare them. To a ruler.

Those ones you have there are 5mm.

Just use this thread for updates.

To paint, I used Krylon Enamel, and it worked great! I did my MXR Overdrive in 'regal blue' and it is nice.

Looks awesome man, I want to see it finished!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
The only way to tell the size of LEDs is to compare them. To a ruler.

Those ones you have there are 5mm.

Just use this thread for updates.

To paint, I used Krylon Enamel, and it worked great! I did my MXR Overdrive in 'regal blue' and it is nice.

Looks awesome man, I want to see it finished!

yeah i saw your thread a couple days ago. your pedal looks really nice. ill look at if again to see if you got your white rings on it. i think im going white pedal with black writing (waterslide decals) lol
and yes i was planning on using krylon enamel and rustoleum glossy clear coat or whatever its called.
i need to get blue led's like you got on your pedal haha radioshack?
Thank you sir.

No white rings yet, I've been busy. They go on tomorrow.

Where do you get your waterslide decals, or did they come with the kit?

Good combo of paints, make sure you use primer. It makes the colour coat way easier.

I got my blue superbright LEDs from my school, they get them in bulk from ABRA Electronics in Montreal, or from overseas... Normally they are around $5 a piece... Regular blue LEDs will suffice, or you could look around on the internets for some superbrights.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
The most boring of projects... No board. I don't know, I always think wiring is the most boring work. And now I have to wire five pots, two jacks, a 3PDT switch, a LED, a battery snap, a DC jack, and a 2 pole 6 throw rotary switch. Damn you, brain!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Øttər
Thank you sir.

No white rings yet, I've been busy. They go on tomorrow.

Where do you get your waterslide decals, or did they come with the kit?

Good combo of paints, make sure you use primer. It makes the colour coat way easier.

I got my blue superbright LEDs from my school, they get them in bulk from ABRA Electronics in Montreal, or from overseas... Normally they are around $5 a piece... Regular blue LEDs will suffice, or you could look around on the internets for some superbrights.

primer goes on after enamel right? hmm. ill google it.

anyways about the LED ill look around in town at like radioshack and crap...
the thing about ordering like 2 LED's online is like shipping will rape you...lol

Quote by asfastasdark
The most boring of projects... No board. I don't know, I always think wiring is the most boring work. And now I have to wire five pots, two jacks, a 3PDT switch, a LED, a battery snap, a DC jack, and a 2 pole 6 throw rotary switch. Damn you, brain!

boring yes, but as a first project. meh. not much to screw up i guess
Primer goes on first.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by AJS19
primer goes on after enamel right? hmm. ill google it.

Primer goes on first, it "primes" the surface for the colour coat. See, primer sticks better, but looks ugly. Colour is finicky, and only sticks to things it likes. So we put down primer (cause he sticks to anything) and then we put colour on the primer (cause the colour will stick to it).

Also, thanks for reminding me that I have to go paint my pedal.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
YAY! im done. no paint yet. that will wait for warmer weather which could be a damn long while. (or until i get anxious and just do it). so for now its a metal pedal makes no hum at all so im happy.

1 question remains: the DC jack wont stay in after i paint should i just glue it in? that was the reason for the short out. the metal on that came in contact with the enclosure and it sparked. needless to say i got some volts as well

What i Learned:
-how to solder
-i need wire strippers
-how to strip wires with my teeth
-how to burn myself
-how to short out an LED
-the difference between sleeve ring tip
-basically lots of stuff

And now for pictures of my lackluster work:

that looks pretty cool man. haha, lotta good lessons learned.
now, sound clips, or it doesn't work!
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Quote by ezlntrooper
that looks pretty cool man. haha, lotta good lessons learned.
now, sound clips, or it doesn't work!

lol its an A/B Switch. there is no sound haha unless you wanna hear me switching amps?
Quote by Øttər
The jack goes inside the pedal...

Good work though.

but then it would fall back into all the jumbled mess....and i wouldnt be able to plug in power via my VS1Spot.

Edit: in other news i ordered the phaser kit off BYOC and got a free boost pedal and signal tester....and ordered for misc. parts to add finishing touches to stuff off PedalPartsPlus which will hereafter be called PPP.
Quote by Øttər
So, wait there is no nut to tighten?

no thats what im gunna do though.... lol that means i got to unsolder it again..damn that was hard the first time! lol had to like string it through sheesh anyways ill just find a nut in my dads stash

doh ^ "find a nut in my dads stash" lol
Quote by AJS19
I'll just find a nut in my dads stash

Well, soldering isn't too hard once you get the hang of it.

And yeah, with the nut tightened up it will be solid.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər

Well, soldering isn't too hard once you get the hang of it.

And yeah, with the nut tightened up it will be solid.

yeah thats the quote of the day.

and those LED's were $5 EACH at Radioshack.
told my dad to get 2 blue LED's and i dont know y he bought um at that price when they are $.40 online.....lol
Quote by Øttər
^ The shipping will **** you with a rake.

i just ordered $20 worth of shit from PPP and $3 shipping so even if you bought 2 LED's

$3 plus $.80 = $3.80 woo hoo! lol whatever no biggie ill get over it.

Well then, perhaps you should have bought these things online!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər

Well then, perhaps you should have bought these things online!

i shoulda.

well i ordered replacements today. so no biggie at least the function of the pedal itself works great lol

and because im bored on my PPP list was:

3 Blue LED's (5mm)
Black Rubber Feet ( 4 Pack )
1290NS Drilled for 1 Knob
3 Black Fluted Knob's / White Index (Small MXR)
Alpha Single-Gang Audio Taper 16mm 100K Potentiometer
RoHS compliant 3PDT True Bypass Switch (Blue Electro-Harmonix)
5mm LED Bezel
1N4001 Diode
White LED (5mm)
Clear Rubber Feet ( 4 Pack)