I have an Affinity Series Squire Strat. Do you think it would be smarter for me to install better pickups or go out and buy a made in Mexico Strat.

I have one friend who says to change pickups and the other says don't bother cause Squires aren't made of good wood.

What do you think?
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
depends what amp you have .
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
What year was it made?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
that depends on the amp. affinity strats may not have the best woods, but it has good quality wood. the only thing i would replace would be hardware and electronics. what dont you like about your tone? what's your amp?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Nov 10, 2008,
You should buy a mexico strat because no one takes you seriously with a squier.
Quote by benx3000

People don't take October 08'ers too seriously either.

People don't care what guitar you play, they care how you play it. If they cared what guitar you played, they would be idiots.

Squiers can be excellent guitars if set up properly.

As long as it isn't made of plywood, and it plays well, or it can play well with some minor adjustments, it can be a great guitar.

Putting in new pickups and new hardware will help, but a lot of your tone is from your amp.

What amp do you have and what style of music do you play?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Its a 2006. I have a 2 great marshall amps to work with. I've heard noticeably richer, better tones from some higher end gibsons and fenders than my Squire.

I don't know anything about the quality of the wood Squires are made out of. I've heard that Squires aren't worth this kind of trouble cause they are made with mediocre wood. All I really want is for a Strat that sounds noticeably better than what I'm playing now.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Hmm, I'd say both, get a new Fender Strat, and then later add mod your Squier, that's what I'm probably gonna do come X-mas
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I play surf guitar. I'm saving up for a Fender Twin Reverb.

All I'm looking for in this guitar is to get the awesome single coil surf tone, but again, I don't know how much of a difference better pickups will make as opposed to buying a Mexico strat.
the amp has more to do with your tone than pickups, what marshalls do you have ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Wood doesn't make a whole lot of difference in tone... if it is alder, like a lot of squiers, then your OK to mod it into something good.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Thanks Otter, thats really what I needed to know.

I know that amps make a big difference on tone, and also that my guitar has some pretty lame pickups.
Go try your guitar through the amp you want, see how nice it sounds.

Imagine this...

Amp makes good tone, pickups make good tone better.

If you buy a quality amp, and out good hardware and electronics in that squier, you're good to go.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
People don't care what guitar you play, they care how you play it. If they cared what guitar you played, they would be idiots.

Think about that for a second.
I think that someone hearing that you tripped out your own guitar is more impressive than owning a cheap Mexico Strat.
Quote by SAINTJIMMY9999
Its a 2006. I have a 2 great marshall amps to work with. I've heard noticeably richer, better tones from some higher end gibsons and fenders than my Squire.

I don't know anything about the quality of the wood Squires are made out of. I've heard that Squires aren't worth this kind of trouble cause they are made with mediocre wood. All I really want is for a Strat that sounds noticeably better than what I'm playing now.
*Squier (not Squire)

wood is highly overrated. make your guitar extremely playable first. do a full pro setup.
after that, if the tuning is stable fine. if not determine if you need tuners, nut, or bridge work. or all three. then look at the cost of that plus the upgrade in pickups. decide if it's worth it to you.

the advantage to upgrading the hardware on a Squier is you can put your money into exactly what you want in hardware. for instance, the pickups you choose may suit you far better than the stock pickups on a MIM strat.

The disadvantage comes if you wanna sell it. you simply won't get your money back out of expensive pickups. the used Squire will be worth $100~200 depending on condition.

A used MIM will cost $250~300.

Quote by benx3000
isn't that interesting?

i take people with well set up guitars VERY seriously. And the name on the headstock doesn't guarantee how well the guitar is set up.

and even MORE than the guitar, i think how you play gets people to take you seriously or not.

i take this guy, and the fucking pink guitar he's playing VERY seriously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjF1fev4Cf8

even with a vintage MIA Strat or Gib$on LP in your hands,
i really doubt i would take you as seriously.

but then again, maybe it's more important for someone if you take them seriously, than for me to take them seriously. idk. what do you think?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.