I wish.
Cello > Violin

It's not something you can just pick up, like guitar or bass. But it's worth it in the end and just needs some dedication.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Vibrato is different, and learning how to bow can be very very difficult (I play the viol, not the cello so the bowing technique is different, actually the cellos bowing technique is harder.)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Vibrato is different, and learning how to bow can be very very difficult (I play the viol, not the cello so the bowing technique is different, actually the cellos bowing technique is harder.)

why? difficult to find strings or difficult to get volumes right? also is it difficult to 'fret' notes
Quote by Caparisoner
why? difficult to find strings or difficult to get volumes right? also is it difficult to 'fret' notes

Bowing has a lot to do with getting the right pressure and position and balance. There's much more to take into account than a simple pick with a guitar. How you bow completely jurisdicts your style of playing.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by frottage
Freaking easy; I can play behind my back with my dick.

are you taking the piss?
Quote by frottage
Freaking easy; I can play behind my back with my dick.

SAME DUDE

but yeah cello is ****ing beast, and it's actually considered one of the harder instruments, (other than bass) cause it's so big (bigger stretches, farther shifts, smaller bow comparatively)
Quote by Caparisoner

at first it's difficult to even get it to make a decent sound, and then you have to work on dynamics (volume) and then articulation,also learning how to hold the bow properly. As for the fretting thing I have no clue, since the Viol is actually a fretted instrument but i can't imagine it being too difficult, I was able to fret my viol without a tuner after a few weeks.

Last.fm
Quote by Aidan93
cello is retarded.

french horn is where its at

My sister plays french horn.

French horn, timpani, and marimba are my favorite concert instruments.
Quote by AcousticSlayer
You're an idiot.

Dude, you don't need to flame, just because you're jealous of my 1337 h4x on teh c3ll0z.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
at first it's difficult to even get it to make a decent sound, and then you have to work on dynamics (volume) and then articulation,also learning how to hold the bow properly. As for the fretting thing I have no clue, since the Viol is actually a fretted instrument but i can't imagine it being too difficult, I was able to fret my viol without a tuner after a few weeks.

You mean you used a guitar tuner to tell if you were getting the notes right?
whats with all the cello hate? cellos sound awesome, I wish I could afford one.

Quote by Caparisoner
You mean you used a guitar tuner to tell if you were getting the notes right?

only for tying down the frets when I started out, not when I when I play.

Last.fm
Any of the viol family instruments are easily harder than guitar.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Caparisoner
are you taking the piss?

I do not believe he's taking a piss.

Disclaimer: I am perfectly familiar with the expression and it's meaning, I just don't like it, and find it very illogical.

Edit: Cello's cool and all, but double-bass is where it's at, at least for me.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
Quote by Xiaoxi
Any of the viol family instruments are easily harder than guitar.

yes they are, but the Cello is in the Violin family.

Last.fm
well im classical guitar and piano diploma level and i can play decent double bass so ill give it a whirl
I played cello in music class 2 years ago. It wasn't that bad. You just gotta know where to put your fingers, and the strecthing between notes is tough at first, but you get used to it. Vibrato is a bit tricky but you also get used to it, although we never did much of it in the class.
Why are you reading this?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yes they are, but the Cello is in the Violin family.

...nowhere did I imply that it isn't.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
...nowhere did I imply that it isn't.

Just thought I'd mention that, since I'm fairly the vast majority of people don't know what a Viol is.

Last.fm