ok so i was in here a couple of months ago with a problem with one of my guitarists. we play progressive metal and he wants to play deathcore/heavy scene as he says. he doesnt like to play the "boring" clean and acoustic passages and if he holds a chord for more than an eighth note its "boring". well we were going to get rid of him and then all of a sudden he brings in his mom, go ahead and laugh and flame but were all still in high school, as a manager and she starts buying a bunch of stuff. she buys us a badass pa system and $700 worth of shirts to sell but then she keeps buying unnecessary stuff like banners and buttons. well we want to kick him out but since she got so financially involved we dont know what to do. we are going to pay off our part of the pa and hopefully buy his half but like as far as the merch goes we want to get it and still kick him out without losing the name, that he doesnt like but might steal. what would my fellow ugers say in this situation
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
but yeah, this is a text book case, have a band meeting with everyone, even his mum.

tell them "hey, we are a mature progmetal band, let us not do the same thing everyone else is doing".
It does sound like he's taking the band seriously, despite some creative differences. Explain to him that when you play with a band, comprimises have to be made to adapt for everyone's taste.

As for the "I hate clean passages b/c they're easier/boring" mentality, this is just simply wrong, as you know. The aim is to create music that works, rather than distortion wankery.

So just explain to him that just because you have to play clean/hold a chord for longer than an 8th doesn't mean that you have to play a straight chord - he can write a riff/licks that promote that chord and satisfy his technical urges whilst promoting the chord underneath.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Is he a good guitar player? Cos if so I would put up with him, tell him to stop being such a whiney little bitch and play a few deathcore songs
yeah, just find a compromise between both viewpoints.....
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Quote by guy_tebache
Is he a good guitar player? Cos if so I would put up with him, tell him to stop being such a whiney little bitch and play a few deathcore songs

hes better than the last 2nd guitarist we had but i have a friend who's 30 times the guitarist than guy we have now so if we lose the guy we have no, oh well. but he has the mentality that if he didnt write it, he doesnt like it.
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
loose the douche....dont put up with that crap
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Talk to the guitarist ask if he'll be ready to do the "boring passages" if you guys add some Death Metal passages
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
OK, so his mum's involved, she's already spent money on the band and seems to have the band's best interest in mind.

So involve her, she sounds like a pretty decent asset to me.
Keep the guitarist and run the band as a democracy.
After every rehearsal, have a 'band meeting' where you all sit around talking about band business and direction, make sure his mum is at these 'meetings'. Make absolutely sure that everyone is in agreement to go with the majority vote on all issues and include his mum in the voting.
Now simply outvote him. Even if his mum backs up his every word, there's still only two of them and they're still a minority within the band.
You may even find that she takes your side on a lot of issues, but the point is, he won't be able to go whining to his mum about decisions that have been made if his mum is part of that decision making process.
Think about it for a moment, what will his mum prefer, progressive metal or deathcore? I'm guessing the prog stuff unless she was really young when she gave birth to him.
In short, him getting his mum involved could be a definate disadvantage to him.

Eventualy, after not getting his own way, he may decide to leave, so don't start complicating the matter by becoming part owners of the PA system with his mum.
If he leaves, fine, you'll probably say goodbye to his mum and get another PA from somewhere, unless she really wants to stay on in a managerial capacity and if everyone else is happy about that.
Another option, once he starts whining at meetings (with his mum) that he wants to turn the band into a deathcore band, would be to encourage him to form a side project to satisfy his own particular tastes, say something like ''Hey, I like playing blues, but I know it wouldn't be right for 'this band' to play blues because it wouldn't suit us.''
His mum may think this is a good idea and also encourage him to put a side project together, who will also use 'her' PA system.
Y'see? If someone else is using the PA as well as you guys, suddenly you aren't as responsible for it. Obviously if she wants paying back for it, it would mean two bands, each paying her the same amount and owning it between them, and with the nature of bands, with members coming and going and constantly changing line ups, this is just unrealistic, so it's probably in her best interest to simply own the PA herself and use it for whatever bands her son plays for.
Which results in you having free use of a PA that you haven't had to pay any money out for.
Although it's a good idea to have a band kitty together with a percentage of profits from gigs and promotional item sales going into it, just in case the PA ever needs any repairs in the future, which will happen eventualy if you are regularly gigging.

The promotional stuff is important, and his mum seems to understand this, after all, you do want to spread your band's name about and get it more recognised don't you?
Put all the promotional stuff together under a side business.
Whatever it has cost his mum for each item, double that for a sale price. Once everything is sold, pay his mum back with half of the money and buy more promotional stuff with the other half of the money.
This is now a self contained business, the initial finance has been payed back and half the money made from sales goes into re-buying stock while the other half is profit.
If you don't want to be a part of something, get out! And copyright the name if you don't want anyone "stealing it". I'm having a hard time believing you are in highschool and have a manager with financial issues. Sounds like an uneccessary mess. And it sounds like his Mom is trying to have a part in her teenagers life. You know how moms are.
Quote by kaptink
Could you keep him mum as manager and kick him out?

She may suggest that herself once she becomes properly involved in the band as manager and realises what a whiney douch her son is being.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
She may suggest that herself once she becomes properly involved in the band as manager and realises what a whiney douch her son is being.

Excellent Logic
Just play the genre he wants to play for a few of your songs, then for the rest of your songs, play the genre you want to play. Every band member deserves a say in the direction of the band, and should at least get one song genre of their choice, plus u should be exploring different genres. If he then wants to play the genre he wants full time, u can tell him to leave