I mean to the art of guitar. I keep seeing praise for Van Halen as some sort of innovator, only to be contradicted by another camp saying "Yeah but everyone does that kind of stuff now!! "

So what is the truth? Is he truly great and an innovator, or just a guy who popularized techniques that he didn't actually invent? This is an honest question, and I'm not ripping anyone.

He made every aspect of the guitar musical. He turned ugly noises like scrapes, burps, farts, dead notes, ugly sounds and made them sound good. Really he just played out of the box, if you want to call that innovation. But the tapping thing was around WAY before EVH. I think Steve Hackett was the first guy to use tapping. But i guess EVH's contribution was that he made this tidal wave of ****ing cool sounds come out of guitar that was never heard before.
he isnt really an inovator more as a perfector. he took techniques people had just dabbled with in the past (ie jimmy pages pulling off to open strings) and turned into something more (eruption to be cliche)

i praise him for his music, not as much as what he did for the guitarist community, and as a great inspiration for people to learn / keep playing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I mean to the art of guitar. I keep seeing praise for Van Halen as some sort of innovator, only to be contradicted by another camp saying "Yeah but everyone does that kind of stuff now!! "

Aren't those two sides saying the same thing?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Eddie is a great guitar player, he contributed great riffage some awesome solos and lots of flanger
Quote by Chorduroy

But he was doing it before everyone. Nearly the entire scene of 80s guitarists owe their existance to him.
Quote by gwitersnamps
Quote by Chorduroy

I think one side is calling him great and better than anyone else, while the other says that what Ed made popular is just common technique nowadays. They might agree that he "invented" certain things, but one denies that he is unique or superior to players who grew up learning to do it his way.

Last edited by Chorduroy at Nov 11, 2008,
Eddie molded all of our playing styles back in the 80s which in turn molded the styles of today. Before they broke out, he would turn his back to the crowd at places like the Whiskey and people were like what the hell is he doing. He is one of the few true innovators that have had a huge impact on today's styles which really just incorporate parts and pieces of people like EVH. Honestly, I have not heard anything really new and innovative in a many years and you pretty much can pick the recent stuff out by ear quickly or at least know what they are doing even if you cannot quiet get it right speed wise. Back then, his stuff was so different it would take us longer than I would care to admit to pick it out.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by Chorduroy
I think one side is calling him great and better than anyone else, while the other says that what Ed made popular is just common technique nowadays. They might agree that he "invented" certain things, but one denies that he is unique or superior to players who grew up learning to do it his way.

Innovator means somebody that made something new and lasting. Or, somebody that was original and then often copied.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Eddie really put the whole speed thing on the map. The tapping aside, he just popularized the really fast guitar solo. He wasn't the first one doing it by a longshot, but he put it on the map. Guys like DiMeola had been ripping way before EVH.
Gibson.
Well, back when "Van Halen" was released, Eruption was so unlike anything that had ever been heard before, many debated that it was somekind of studio trickery until Eddie played it live enough times for people to know it was for real. His legato/vibrato style BACK THEN was very fresh and unique.
mmm brown... And how many times have I looked at a long line of desks in the library and pictured myself strutting along the desktops soloing ala hot for teacher. magical :P
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
He made every aspect of the guitar musical. He turned ugly noises like scrapes, burps, farts, dead notes, ugly sounds and made them sound good. Really he just played out of the box, if you want to call that innovation.

But i guess EVH's contribution was that he made this tidal wave of ****ing cool sounds come out of guitar that was never heard before.

sounds very much like the sort of thing they said about Jimi Hendrix some 15 or so years earlier.. like Hendrix, he raised the bar for rock guitar, sonically & technically, and influenced an entire generation of guitarists that followed... many of whom missed the point

whether you like his guitar playing or not (can't say i'm too into that stuff myself), that's why he's an important figure in rock guitar...
out of here
Quote by Deep*Kick
mmm brown... And how many times have I looked at a long line of desks in the library and pictured myself strutting along the desktops soloing ala hot for teacher. magical :P

Yup, or blowing someones ears off playing a perfect rendition of Eruption

In the 80's almost everyone wanted to be EVH or at least take something from his bag of tricks. There were more technical players, but not many as exciting to watch as him. Awesome riffs, guitars made for himself by himself (that so many manufacturers copied), running around on stage while playing like a mad man and not missing a beat and that tone. If nothing else his tone was the Holy Grail for so many guitarists and still is. He was different, he made people even famous guitarists go "wtf how did he do that?" and he changed how guitar is played today. I wouldn't say he was inventive but creative. The intro to Pretty Woman called Intruder, he took a beer can and made some of those effects.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Chorduroy
So what is the truth? Is he truly great and an innovator, or just a guy who popularized techniques that he didn't actually invent? This is an honest question, and I'm not ripping anyone.

that.

I'm yet to find a technique he actually invented.

that doesn't mean he didn't have a big impact.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
He took unorthodox techniques that are usually used in classical or other styles of music that aren't rock / pop related and brought them to the table, and did a ****ing good job too! So no, you are right when you say he didn't invent these techniques but he sure did bring them to light for millions of people.
Quote by Chorduroy
I did not ask for a redundant definition.

I was clarifying why I thought the two arguments were saying the same thing, because you didn't seem to be getting my reasoning.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50