wud up everyone. i have been looking at getting a nice Gibson LP but not sure what kind i should be looking at. im always nervous about getting new guitars because im stationed overseas and normally buy them before i play them. im currently in iraq so playing anything at a store is out of the question. i play a little bit of everything but mostly metal. i have never played a gibson what have played LP's and love the feel, weight, and sound quality. I want to get a nice one but not sure exactly what i should be looking for. any help would be appreciated.
Screw Gibson, get an Edwards

A third the price of a Standard and easily on par with one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i have tried many different brands. one of my buddies had a Tokai i believe is what its called and that thing played amazing. he said that i should get one of them but im not sure. i had an epiphone standard and the thing played really nice all along the neck but there was something wrong with it. the bottom 3 strings would not intonate for some reason. not sure what the deal was but it sounded awful so i sold it for what i paid for it.
Tokai makes great LPs as well, though I believe most of them are made in Korea or China now.

Edwards is ESP's Japan-only marketed guitars. They play and sound amazing for the price.

I used to have all USA made guitars, including two Gibson SGs, I sold them all and bought Japanese made guitars, they simply play and sound better than other guitars in their price range. No offense to the American companies, they make great guitars, but at a high price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
A lot of people (obviously, as you see) prefer japanese versions or other cheaper versions. I say go all the way and just get a straight up Gibson. In my opinion, there's no match. Get a Studio or a Standard, I'd say go the extra mile for the Standard, maybe even a custom. There's no match for a custom LP. It all depends on how much money you have to spend, but trust me- when you save up and earn every penny to pay for a Standard Gibson, it has that extra sentiment when you hold such a killer instrument that costs an arm and a leg when you know that you earned it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
nice thanks for the advice. i actually have to agree with you. i have played quite a few american made ESP's among many others and i have never been impressed. the last time i was back in the states i messed around with a few and i have to say that i played 500 dollar guitars that sounded and played alot better.
even though gibson is one of the best brands out there take it from someone that has a couple of them "never buy a guitar that you cant sit down with and play for yourself" you never know each guitar has that little something that you might not like. id say buy a knock off like a epi or somethin till you come home and can get to check out one in person.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
yeah i think that i want to try out those new epiphone prophecies. im not a fan of the EMG's so i think i will shoot for that one with the Dirty fingers. i do play alot of metal but i love the cleans and like to mess around with chords. i appreciate the help!
Quote by Opethfan1
id say buy a knock off like a epi or somethin till you come home and can get to check out one in person.

I wouldn't call an Epi a Knockoff... Epi LP customs are ****ing kick ass, sound and play soooo brilliantly. I can only imagine how good a Gibson LP custom would be
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
If you want the Gibson, get the Gibson. They rock and you will never regret it. Do be careful on the necks though. The Standard has a choice of 50s or 60s necks and the Traditional comes with the 50s neck. I like the 60s neck very much, but am only luke warm on the 50s neck. A lot of people like the 50s neck better. It probably just comes down to what your used to.

Epis are not close to Gibson Les Pauls. Sorry to you dude with Epis. Seriously, if you want a Gibson Les Paul and can afford it, do settle for less. Check out sites like mylespaul.com with many people who have both Epis and Gibson Les Pauls. There are a lot of threads on this topic and many of the responses are very objective.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Last edited by 996ttcab at Nov 11, 2008,
i like to stick with something fairly slim. if i remember right the 50s neck is really thick right? my schecter hellraiser has a fairly thick neck and it doesnt bother me. i just dont want to feel like im playing a 2 by 4 lol.
Quote by Resurrected22
i like to stick with something fairly slim. if i remember right the 50s neck is really thick right? my schecter hellraiser has a fairly thick neck and it doesnt bother me. i just dont want to feel like im playing a 2 by 4 lol.

You will want the 60s neck. Les Pauls are pretty consistent unless you are just super picky. Yeah, each one will have a little variation in tone, but most people would not notice or care.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Gibsons have never impressed me, and with the current state of their quality control I would never buy one without playing. Considering the price of the japanese "knockoffs" and how well they play I don't think you can go wrong.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Gibsons have never impressed me, and with the current state of their quality control I would never buy one without playing. Considering the price of the japanese "knockoffs" and how well they play I don't think you can go wrong.

Exactly my point.

Most of the Japanese "knockoffs" are built to exact specs of the older Les Pauls that gave Gibson their name, not the new "light" chambered "Les Pauls." The weight is what gave them their signature tone, and a chambered body kills it imo.

Current production Gibson Standards, Customs, etc. are great instruments, but I could name a dozen other guitars I'd rather have for the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Exactly my point.

Most of the Japanese "knockoffs" are built to exact specs of the older Les Pauls that gave Gibson their name, not the new "light" chambered "Les Pauls." The weight is what gave them their signature tone, and a chambered body kills it imo.

Current production Gibson Standards, Customs, etc. are great instruments, but I could name a dozen other guitars I'd rather have for the price.

Like a custom shop strat. Hell you could get two EJ strats for what some gibby les pauls cost.
yeah im thinking the gibson will be out of the question until i can play one first. dont want to waste all that hard earned money for nothing. the fact that the mail dudes here in iraq are military and know that there getting there checks even if they destroy your mail before you get it doesnt help the cause either. freaking horrible.
^Just get insurance on it whatever it is. Or you could get one of your family member to buy it, pack it extremely well and ship it too you.
I like to play my Strat better than my Les Pauls, but I still think the Les Paul is a better quality guitar. The chambered argument is silly and comes from people like these fanatic Historic collectors who CANNOT STAND CHANGE and who hang out some of other web sites. I think most people who have both and are not just stuck on a principle will agree that the new Standard sound just as good (different does not equate bad) and most will not notice a difference that is not PICKUP related. The new Standards are here to stay for a reason. They are smoking hot guitars.

If you have to have a heavy nonchambered guitar, buy a Traditional. I am trying to trade my Traditional for a Standard though right now.

I think Gibson quality control right now is better than it has been in a long time and perhaps the best it has been since the late 70s or early 80s and I think the guitars are still more consistent today. I have a 68 and I got lucky and got a good one. I have played several 68s that did not play that well. All of the 2008s I played when I got mine were very consistent (I played standards, custom, Traditionals and even a few 2007 Classics). I picked mine based on finish. The shape of the neck just tires my hand out fr some reason.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Last edited by 996ttcab at Nov 11, 2008,