Page 1 of 2
Hey guys i've decided to do a little project to increase my speed. Basically i'm going to be playing 4 notes per second for every click of the metranome (so 1/4 notes i think lol) and this will stay permamently like this.

The end goal of this 'project' is to be able to do chromatic runs at 10 notes per second cleanly/crisply and with good technique.

basically it'll go like this:
week 1- metranome 50
week 2-metranome 55
week 3-metranome 60
week 4-metranome 65
week 5-metranome 70
week 6-metranome 75
week 7-metranome 80
week 8-metranome 85
week 9-metranome 90
week 10-metranome 95
week 11-metranome 100
week 12-metranome 105
week 13-metranome 110
week 14-metranome 115
week 15-metranome 120
week 16-metranome 125
week 17-metranome 130
week 18-metranome 135
week 19-metranome 140
week 20-metranome 145
week 21-metranome 150

So it would start slow so i can perfect my technique, and every week i'll be able to nail each one down, and the changes aren't too big... I practice usually a couple hours a day, and i was thinking of setting aside maybe 20-30minutes of that time for this project to hit 10 note per second chromatic runs.

what do you guys think?

also how do i blog, so i can blog my progress and shit

(if you think im ****ed in the head, my bad-im really organised and shit...)
sounds good to me, just make sure u run through it a few times, all down strokes, all up strokes, alternate
incubus rocks my world
seems reasonable enough

4 notes per click are generally sixteenth notes by the way
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
thanks guys, o ok my bad haha thought 4 per click would be 1/4 =\

how can i blog this on this website?

i can play 4 per click on 50 pretty easily so i figured that would be a good place to start and really break my technique down, like fretting, flying fingers, all that, and each week spend 20-30mins a day so the changes will be small and eventually it'll lead to something great.

and yea all alternate picking

do you guys have a link to what 10 notes per second sounds like on guitar?
Generally, it's a nice idea, but I think that some details need a double-check. If you stay constant every week, you might not get the result you want. But if, instead of staying at the same tempo for all the week, you do something like :

Week 1 : 10 mins at 50bpm, 5 mins at 60bpm and 10 mins at 50bpm, everyday for the week.
Week 2 : same as above, but start with 55, then go to 65, and back down to 55.
etc...
I think you would get better result this way, but I'm not sure. Try to figure out yourself which way would be best for you, but remember that whatever you choose to do, you would be better off doing it in several periods than in one big. I.e. 3x 10 mins instead of 30 mins straight. This is how the brain works, not my opinion. We learn more like that.

One other thing, if you feel at a certain point that you can't get further, go back a little slower, try it again, maybe faster until you get it perfectly. Don't go beyond your perfect point. If it takes you 2 weeks instead of 1 to get from 120 to 125, take 2 weeks, it's no big deal. If you go beyond before getting perfectly, you will carry your unperfectness ( is that a word ? ), and you won't get it perfectly at faster tempos.

The last thing I have to say, 4 notes per second = 16th notes at 60bpm, not 50. 120bpm would be 8 notes per second. You were right about 150bpm being 10 notes per second.

Work as hard as you can, and be concentrated when you do it. Good luck with your project.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
^ most metal stuff has it. Joe Satriani has a few songs where he hits a lot of 16ths
but any speed metal should do.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
good plan now the only problem will be sticking to it. =/
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by -themask-

do you guys have a link to what 10 notes per second sounds like on guitar?

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0 The intro, up until about 0:28, is sixteenth (1/4) notes at 150 bpm.

To be honest I don't have much experience with scheduled stuff like this, but good luck either way.

P.S. it's "metronome"
^^ Yes and no id say. I did the chromatic thing for a bit, and i did see an improvement, but i dont think its good to limit yourself to one type of chromatic run, mix it up.

Dont just go for speed though, work on your vibrato n shit aswell.
I wouldnt spend 21 weeks playing chromatics.Are you going to be able to apply it? Practice what you can apply. For instance when I practice my picking I practice up and down 3 notes per string scales, I practice fragments of these scales and I practice licks I tend to use. I also practice picking 2 note per string pentatonic scales. Chromatics can be good to practice left and right hand synchronization but I wouldnt advise anyone to practice them constantly for that length of time. Also, if you constantly focus and never miss a day for 21 weeks practicing picking you can get your picking faster than 10 notes per second. I think its good to set shorter goals at first. So, say you set a goal for 4 weeks into your 21 weeks project...then after that evaluate your progress and set another goal for the next 4 weeks. Sometimes with constant work you can be surprised at how fast your playing comes on. Infact, with consistent focused practice you can surprise yourself almost on a daily basis. Also, if you are working on your picking make sure you are also working on your legato and your left hand. This is important because your left hand has to be up to the task of playing in sync with your right hand. Constantly working on both individually and then working on syncing the two will definately provide awesome results if you really want it to.
Andy
^ Yes. I'd agree that this isn't a great plan.

Even without considering the worth of spending so much time on chromatics, this
plan pretty much ignores good practice principles and conditions for learning. So,
in the end, it's not really even going to have the desired result (increased speed).
I sort of did something like this. I boasted to my music teachers that I was going to practice at 40BPM playing 16th notes in scales and stuff(it was actually 8th notes, didn't know much theory) for a whole day, and up the metronome 10 beats each day. It was going along good, for two weeks, until I got bored with it and did other things.

I don't think you'll have the patience to stand an entire week in just one set tempo playing chromatics. Yeah, you are gonna put 30 minutes to it each day, but the progress you make with it is going to cancel out with whatever you spend the most time practicing. As said before in this forum, the only way you'll ever be able to play fast is to start at a slow tempo, practice an exercise or song at that tempo while checking yourself for any tension and unnecessary movements that can slow you down, and up the tempo whenever you feel like you've played your thing perfectly a few times.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
2 Major Flaws I see with this:
1. The fact that it's only chromatics--in order to truly improve your technique you should have variety to the licks you play. Then again, if by chromatics you mean the 24 left hand permutations on one finger per fret, than that would be fine from a left hand perspective. You'd probably want to work on some things w/ 3 notes per string and such to work on switching strings with different picking directions.
2. You can't just say "I'm going to be done with this speed at this date." Use the times you have as a Goal, but if you are playing very cleanly at the speed you are at, feel free to increase it, and if you aren't playing cleanly at the speed you are at, DON'T increase it.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.
Quote by -themask-
Hey guys i've decided to do a little project to increase my speed. Basically i'm going to be playing 4 notes per second for every click of the metranome (so 1/4 notes i think lol) and this will stay permamently like this.

The end goal of this 'project' is to be able to do chromatic runs at 10 notes per second cleanly/crisply and with good technique.

basically it'll go like this:
week 1- metranome 50
week 2-metranome 55
week 3-metranome 60
week 4-metranome 65
week 5-metranome 70
week 6-metranome 75
week 7-metranome 80
week 8-metranome 85
week 9-metranome 90
week 10-metranome 95
week 11-metranome 100
week 12-metranome 105
week 13-metranome 110
week 14-metranome 115
week 15-metranome 120
week 16-metranome 125
week 17-metranome 130
week 18-metranome 135
week 19-metranome 140
week 20-metranome 145
week 21-metranome 150

Personally, I think spending this much time and effort on straight chromatics is a terrible idea. At the end of this you'll just have one really dull run and be able to play it fast.

What would be better is to take a piece like Paganini's 5th Caprice or Moto Perpetuo or ANY CHALLENGING PIECE YOU LIKE and then build that up perfectly.

You'll learn a lot more technically and musically from that, tbh.

To blog stuff, click on "my profile" at the top right, and then "my blogs". Easy as.
Quote by Freepower
Personally, I think spending this much time and effort on straight chromatics is a terrible idea. At the end of this you'll just have one really dull run and be able to play it fast.

What would be better is to take a piece like Paganini's 5th Caprice or Moto Perpetuo or ANY CHALLENGING PIECE YOU LIKE and then build that up perfectly.

To blog stuff, click on "my profile" at the top right, and then "my blogs". Easy as.

i'm not investing like all of my time into this, or even a big chunk.

Think of it as a 15-20minute warm up once a day but one that i'll focus on to get better. It'll only take up like 10% of my actual playing time, in the meantime i'll be practicing scales and songs like paganini's (awsome song btw) and 3 notes per string etc...
Well, first off, starting at 50 BPM is NOT slow enough. See my sig for a little more or search for Freepower's youtube vid. His channel is FreepowerUG and the vid is called "Correct Practice". It will definately show you how to develope good/perfect technique.
Quote by -themask-
Think of it as a 15-20minute warm up once a day but one that i'll focus on to get better. It'll only take up like 10% of my actual playing time, in the meantime i'll be practicing scales and songs like paganini's (awsome song btw) and 3 notes per string etc...

You will fall in pain if you think by the 7th week you're gonna use that as a "warm-up."
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by -themask-
i'm not investing like all of my time into this, or even a big chunk.

It's much better to warm up by actually shaking around your arms.

And once again - if you want to develop very economical "smart fingers" then you would be much better off with something like spider exercises or all the permutations of 4 finger patterns, etc.
Yea mix up your excersises, do some single string stuff too. Only increase tempo when you have it down perfect. I have seen huge improvement over 3-6 months, don't rush it...perfect technique will always give you better speed, also watch your economy of motion.
The problem with the TS's practice plan is that improvements in speed aren't linear at all. Basically, at any point in time, the speed you can play at is governed by when an aspect of your technique breaks down. By building up some muscle memory, you can increase the speed a little, but you're not going to go much faster until you have whatever aspect of your technique is holding you back fixed. If you dont fix the technique your so-called speed increases are just you forcing it more and more and making more and more quality compromises to get to the next goal tempo. The real jumps in speed occur whenever an aspect of your technique that has been holding you back is fixed.
So, I'd recommend something more like this.

1) Figure out where the problems are. Take a lick, and in one sitting gradually increase the metronome 5 bpm at a time until you can't play it anymore. Now, figure out what happened. What aspects of your technique broke down when you were nearing the speed at which you couldn't play it anymore?
2) At a slow tempo, work on fixing those aspects of your technique. Make sure you are really focusing on not only playing clean, but paying attention to your technique, and making sure you are the fixing problems that you noticed in step 1. No need to increase the tempo here. You are just programming the improved technique into your muscle memory. In fact, don't even think about the tempo during this stage - focus all your attention and goals on improving the technique.
3) After a week or so, go to step 1 and repeat the process.

Also, as Freepower mentioned, get a challenging piece of music to practice instead of chromatics. It's all about finding problems and then fixing them. Repeat, repeat, repeat for years. The reason I agree with FP is that a challenging piece of music will expose far more problems in your technique that chromatics would, so you'll have a lot more to work on, and solving these problems will make you a better overall player (and faster).

Anyway, good luck with it!
Quote by Freepower

I agree with this. Choose some technical or fast pieces you like, and practice them slowly and bring the tempo up as you get it down.

this will improve your playing, speed, and all the while keep you entertained by the fact that you will be working on a song you didnt think you could play, but now can.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Here's an additional "regular" thing you can try which I think will give you surprising
results. It's very simple and only requires a little imagination on your part
and the will to focus on it for a short period of time.

First, imagine your mind is like a flashlight -- it can shine a beam of light and illuminate
things. This is your awareness. You can picture this as a beam coming from your eyes
or center of your forehead (it's not really dependent on sight) if you like. If you want,
you can practice this wherever you are just by looking around. I don't think it's too
hard to imagine this -- like a marvel comic super-hero with a "beam" power projecting
from your head. In addition to the direction, you can also adjust the focus and
intensity of the "light".

Now practice playing what you want. Focus this "beam" on what you're doing -- your hands, fingers, fretboard, body. The principle here is the more "light" you shine on
something (length of time, focus, intensity), the quicker you will learn it. Try this
for about 10 minutes every practice for a couple weeks. Your only real part in this
is to remember the "beam". Focus shouldn't be a strain, just an easy directing of will.

It may sound crazy, but I think it's really close to how things actually work. Try it and
see!
Quote by edg
Here's an additional "regular" thing you can try which I think will give you surprising
results. It's very simple and only requires a little imagination on your part
and the will to focus on it for a short period of time.

First, imagine your mind is like a flashlight -- it can shine a beam of light and illuminate
things. This is your awareness. You can picture this as a beam coming from your eyes
or center of your forehead (it's not really dependent on sight) if you like. If you want,
you can practice this wherever you are just by looking around. I don't think it's too
hard to imagine this -- like a marvel comic super-hero with a "beam" power projecting
from your head. In addition to the direction, you can also adjust the focus and
intensity of the "light".

Now practice playing what you want. Focus this "beam" on what you're doing -- your hands, fingers, fretboard, body. The principle here is the more "light" you shine on
something (length of time, focus, intensity), the quicker you will learn it. Try this
for about 10 minutes every practice for a couple weeks. Your only real part in this
is to remember the "beam". Focus shouldn't be a strain, just an easy directing of will.

It may sound crazy, but I think it's really close to how things actually work. Try it and
see!

edg = Zen Master of Guitar.

Great advice dude.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
It's much better to warm up by actually shaking around your arms.

And once again - if you want to develop very economical "smart fingers" then you would be much better off with something like spider exercises or all the permutations of 4 finger patterns, etc.

kk so is there any chart or something with all the permutations of the 4 finger pattern? And how would you guys recommend i practice it?

like once up/down the neck each and same plan i have or what?
Quote by -themask-
kk so is there any chart or something with all the permutations of the 4 finger pattern?

You can figure them out yourself easily enough if you just think logically about it.

As for practicing them, once up and down the neck would be more than enough but I think you're looking at it the wrong way, watch FPs videos (correct practice and finger independance mainly).

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^^

Ideas for practice w/ them--Straight up and down, Mixing them so you pick a group and alternate between them 1 string at a time, spreading them across multiple strings at once, applying them to Non-Chromatic patterns, etc.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
*permutations*

Dammit Grif, what happened to getting people to think for themselves

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
^ it failed terribly.

Apparently I'm fighting a one-man war against spoon-feeding the idiots of the world then...dang it

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Freepower
You can play it that way, but this way they can eventually spoon feed each other.

I stand by the studies that say you're more likely to remember something if you find it out yourself rather than are just told but whatever, as long as guys like Grif keep turning up my war will be in vain.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Apparently I'm fighting a one-man war against spoon-feeding the idiots of the world then...dang it

Dude, that's a little harsh. While I certainly agree that people benefit from learning things on their own, I don't really see how using a pre-made chart with the 1234 permutations is a bad thing. Or put the other way, I don't reall see how he's going to benefit from making his own permutation chart. All it is is a chart of permutations- what's wrong with saving a little time?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I stand by the studies that say you're more likely to remember something if you find it out yourself rather than are just told but whatever, as long as guys like Grif keep turning up my war will be in vain.

So I guess this Advanced Techniques forum is pretty pointless, huh?
Quote by tapitin
So I guess this Advanced Techniques forum is pretty pointless, huh?

No, the way I see it we should be giving people the tools to expand their technique but just flat out telling people everything isn't a good idea in my opinion. Even if they have to google it because they can't quite get all 24 it's better than just telling them. Incidentally it took me 5 seconds to find them on google.

If people need to be given the basic physical motions of a technique or if they've reached a certain point on their own then that's one thing but just flat out telling them everything just means that they get used to not thinking about what they're doing at all which is never a good thing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by tapitin
Dude, that's a little harsh. While I certainly agree that people benefit from learning things on their own, I don't really see how using a pre-made chart with the 1234 permutations is a bad thing. Or put the other way, I don't reall see how he's going to benefit from making his own permutation chart. All it is is a chart of permutations- what's wrong with saving a little time?

Because in that little time he could be discovering lots of interesting ways to move between each possible permutation and ways of ordering them.

There's a balance to be struck. Some people need mollycoddled, some people can be dropped at the deep end.
Quote by tapitin

x2, i could figure it out/write it out by myself but what's the point if there's already a chart somewhere to save a little time so i can get right to practicing? :p
Page 1 of 2