Ok, I was adjusting my action the other day,and got it pretty out of whack and now I have a slight amount of fret buzz. Not too much,but enough to be annoying. I dont want to take my guitar to guitar center or anything,when its something that can be fixed at home. Iv been trying to get it right for some time now,can someone give me any tips or advice on how to adjust this the proper way?
What doesn't kill you,only makes you pissed off.
A pro setup can do wonders for how your guitar plays, past just clearing up the fret buzz. I'd recommend dropping the cash and letting a pro do it.
Quote by Z-Bone
Ok, I was adjusting my action the other day,and got it pretty out of whack and now I have a slight amount of fret buzz. Not too much,but enough to be annoying. I dont want to take my guitar to guitar center or anything,when its something that can be fixed at home. Iv been trying to get it right for some time now,can someone give me any tips or advice on how to adjust this the proper way?

Well if it started buzzing after you tried adjusting the action (assuming action is string height yeh?) it could be these:

-Your Truss rod is too bowed for your height
-It could be adjusted too low and therefore open string plays a buzz due to touching fret.
-Unlevel frets on the fret board is a real big problem.
-Simply raise your saddles
-or try intonating it (if you dont know how send me a message)

Anyway measuring at the 12th fret you should have 4 64ths (it's lik 2,3 or so millimeters) from the top of the 12th fret metal thingo to the bottom of the string. If it's lower it might be touching it. If its fine most likely unlevel frets.

Thanks, Michael, peace out bro
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Quote by toeinator
Well if it started buzzing after you tried adjusting the action (assuming action is string height yeh?) it could be these:

-Your Truss rod is too bowed for your height
-It could be adjusted too low and therefore open string plays a buzz due to touching fret.
-Unlevel frets on the fret board is a real big problem.
-Simply raise your saddles
-or try intonating it (if you dont know how send me a message)

Anyway measuring at the 12th fret you should have 4 64ths (it's lik 2,3 or so millimeters) from the top of the 12th fret metal thingo to the bottom of the string. If it's lower it might be touching it. If its fine most likely unlevel frets.

Thanks, Michael, peace out bro

actually 1/64th of an inch is 0,39 mm's. so 4/64ths of an inch is more on the line of 1,6mm. this sounds like a good rule of thumb for the low E, but Z-bone, you can easily put your lower E lower than that. Gibsons for example, and i believe Epi's do the same, come standard from the factory with about 2.00mm ( or 5/64Ths) on the low E and 1,2mm ( or 3/64ths) on the high E. What guitar do you have?

Cheaper guitars tend to need a bit higher action to play without buzz though the amp, due to frets not being excatly of equal height as toeinator said. But dont get freaked about a bit of buzzing. All guitars do so unless they have really really high action, and as long as your not hearing it trough your amp, and your getting the sustain you need, and notes dont fret out in full bends youll be fine
you can check out this thread first post for help.

questions at the end.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

and it depends on which strings and frets are buzzing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by chrisdam
actually 1/64th of an inch is 0,39 mm's. so 4/64ths of an inch is more on the line of 1,6mm. this sounds like a good rule of thumb for the low E, but Z-bone, you can easily put your lower E lower than that. Gibsons for example, and i believe Epi's do the same, come standard from the factory with about 2.00mm ( or 5/64Ths) on the low E and 1,2mm ( or 3/64ths) on the high E. What guitar do you have?

Cheaper guitars tend to need a bit higher action to play without buzz though the amp, due to frets not being excatly of equal height as toeinator said. But dont get freaked about a bit of buzzing. All guitars do so unless they have really really high action, and as long as your not hearing it trough your amp, and your getting the sustain you need, and notes dont fret out in full bends youll be fine

I have mine lower than stock because i like to play fast metal, on my BC Rich Metal Master Warlock. But on my strat i have the usual set up.

And thanks for the clarification on 4/64ths lol I wasnt quite sure in millimeters I heard about the measurement and my ruler just has a mark where i set it to lol. Also glad to fins someone else who seems to know a bit about action, add me to friends

Thanks, toeinator
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=