Hey all,

I'm a uni student on a budget and I'm looking to buy a tube amp for blues (it'll be for practice). Most of the music I play is from artists such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Eric Clapton. I prefer cleaner tones (think Little Wing) but I will occasionally play with dirtier tones (I'll pedal it). I currently play a stock Yamaha Pacifica 112J.

So far I have the Crate V18 112, and Epiphone Valve Junior in mind (how good are the cleans? I'll test these out at a shop when I get the chance).

Summary:

What I play: Mostly SRV & Clapton (modern) styles.
Current Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 112J.
What I want: Budget tube amp w/ good cleans for practicing.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Cheers.
If you can find one used, a fender blues jr would work great. I hate to plug the amp I own, but I can nail SRV with mine. Just listen to the blues lead clip in my profile. Granted I've cranked it up about all the way and I'm using a very nice overdrive, it's still not hard to get a nice SRV tone if you're using an overdrive pedal.

Edit: I say used since I assumed your budget was around 200-300 dollars judging from the amps you listed there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I +1 the blues junior.
Look into used Peavey Classic 30's too, but usually they are fairly rare under 300 bucks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I +1 the blues junior.
Look into used Peavey Classic 30's too, but usually they are fairly rare under 300 bucks.

+1, I got lucky and got mine off of CL for 275, barely used. Parents bought it for their kid and he ended up not liking guitar, sat in a closet for 3 years and now it's mine.
Hmm, he didn't say how much he had in his budget....but +1 to the Blues Junior or the Peavey.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Good job, kevin!
I'm still happy about that deal I got with that Skylark. The guys at the store said it will need a cap job in the near future, but for a 48 year old amp, I assumed it would :p.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
blues junior is very good, and my brother has the 15w crate and sounds terrific but the fender has better cleans.
wizard: What model of 15w crate?
Just curious.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Good job, kevin!
I'm still happy about that deal I got with that Skylark. The guys at the store said it will need a cap job in the near future, but for a 48 year old amp, I assumed it would :p.

With such a simple amp and being wired point to point a cap job ought to be pretty cheap. Hell, you could probably do it yourself.
Meh, I can barely handle modding pedals, I don't want to go diving into amps quite yet.
Anyways, while he's at it, i'm going to have my tech add a speaker out so I can use it with a cab, and maybe a tube swap if the tubes are going bad.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Meh, I can barely handle modding pedals, I don't want to go diving into amps quite yet.
Anyways, while he's at it, i'm going to have my tech add a speaker out so I can use it with a cab, and maybe a tube swap if the tubes are going bad.

Sound good

Us GGnA regulars (losers) expect clips as soon as she's playable.
Cedric - you post a lot over in EG right?

What these guys are saying is true. All tube amp I would go with a Blues Jr or Classic 30 if they fit within your budget. Buying these amps used is the way to go. The older the better the quality generally and better the price.

I would also say that the Epi and Crate V are only clean for a little bit - and get dirty pretty fast. Unlike the BJ and C30. If your budget is even less, the check out Champ 600. More just for bedroom use but sounds sweet.

Sorry, and if you want to look at some hybrids, the SuperChamp and VibroChamp have a lot to offer in the 199 - 299 range. Good luck.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Sound good

Us GGnA regulars (losers) expect clips as soon as she's playable.

Of course. She'll be playable right when I get it, since I just played it the other day. Just in the near future, i'll need to get a cap job done.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
what's the skylark? i haven't heard of that one. british/american voiced? features? the works? GIMME DETAILS!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
American voiced, circa 1960. Just a standby/power switch, 2 inputs, and a volume knob.
Incredibly basic but nice amp.

here's a pic:
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i just got a tingly feeling on the inside....like when we used to climb the rope in gym class...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I was gonna check out a gibbie amp when I was amp shopping, but the one I was going to test ended up being broken.
Yeah, the one i'm getting is obviously a bit rough around the edges. It's also missing a foot, too. But that's no problem. It's also missing half the logo (duh), but that just adds character.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
sry to steal the thread but anyone have opinions comparing the blues jr to the crate palomino v16 for essentially the same style/criteria the OP listed?
Never played one, but if I remember right it's got more of a british flavor than the BJr. Try em both and see which you like better.
I think a Fender Champion could get those clean tones. Definitely try one out!
Saint Louis Blues
Blues Jr's are wonderful, but if you're on an even tighter budget, check out the Crate V18.

Blues Jr's are delicious though.
Quote by r2zou
sry to steal the thread but anyone have opinions comparing the blues jr to the crate palomino v16 for essentially the same style/criteria the OP listed?

I've tried both before, and they're very similar products. I'm not a big amp techie; however, if its a question of sound, the BJ is the better choice. I'd been in the same situation when I bought mine. Better stock reverb, shimmering cleans, thick rich tone and an outstanding break up when you crank it up enough. But, please also note: Palominos are made in both the USA and in Vietnam. The one I tested was all-American. I haven't tried the other, but the typical trend is that American-made amps are superior.
fender blues jr
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.