So pit, I'm feeling about as intermediate as a mofo at like everything, and I can't decide what type of guitaring to get into more seriously, or how to get better at techniques, I like funk, and metal, and...well, mostly funk and metal, I play in my school's Jazz ensemble, I like guitarists such as Buckethead, Leo Kottke(Weird, I know) Zakk Wylde, Yngwie Malmsteen, Pat Metheny, Paul Gilbert, Tom Merello, and Micheal Hedges.(I tell you this for the reason of bettering your knolege of my guitaring, so you are able to give more personalized advise) So my question is; How do I progress into a better guitarist from were I am, also; what techniques/songs should I learn? I'm not sure if the pit is the place for this, but I figured I'd get the best answers here.
Last edited by fret-less at Nov 11, 2008,
i'd say get lessons, or just have fun with what you know already. muck about, have fun. that's what the guitar is about.
No one in my town gives lessons, however I allready have learned a hella lot of music theory on my own, considering a lack of teaching. but just out of curiosity, what types of things might an instructor help me with?
Me and KG have come in to say STOP. Some people have it, some don't.

Let me explain.

Sometimes, you follow your heart.
Sometimes your heart cuts a fart,
That's the cosmic shame.

That's the cosmic shame.

And I know what you are saying now,
what makes you guys so ****ing good?

I don't ****in' know,
and I don't like it!

I stay up going ****!
Why can't everybody ****in' have it?

Cause this is the thing...
Some people learn it on the streets.
Some people learn it in the schools.
Me and K.G., we were ****ing born with it, homes...

Check it out.

That shit came off the top of my ****in' head y'all!

Oh God!

Why?

It's a cosmic shame!

Thank you.
practice will help u
but dont push yourself
u could ruin ur love for the hobby
u might aslo be stuck and not be able to progress anybody
just be yourself everybody else is already taken
O.K. I definantly wasn't clear enough, and this is my fault, but what it is that I have a problem with; I practice all types of stuff like 3 hours a day(which is a durastic decrease from the start of school) however I continue to be at an intermediate level, and I was wondering how I could remedy this.
Last edited by fret-less at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by fret-less
O.K. I definantly wasn't clear enough, and this is my fault, but what it is that I have a problem; I practice all types of stuf like 3 hours a day(which is a durastic decrease from the start of school) however I continue to be at an intermediate level, and I was wondering how I could remedy this.

You need the pick of destiny homes.
Im a guitar teacher and the bottom line is the rudimentary things scales arpeggios and exercises are what most kids skip on most, using the metronome to build the speed. With a lot of pupils that want to break the speed of sound, i get them to clean up their tremelo picking, then apply it to chromatic scales.

Get used to playing past fret 12 doing this its amazing how some people have a fear of small frets. Go back and play easier solos better its likely you will be playing the easy bits and missing or messing the hard parts.

Metronome is key...or even better speed trainers.
Quote by fret-less
So, you guys are saying the only way to get better is magic?

Yes. And maybe weed. Try prayer, and colonic irrigation as well, but don't get your hopes up.
What types of exercises? I allready know like 19 different scales, but I find it hard to implament them in my guitaring.