OK, i've got a budget of about $1500 for a new amp and effects. I have no idea what kind of amp to go for, i've tried several but i can't really come to a conclusion. For the amp, I want a tube amp, preferably a combo, that is versitile. I can go anywhere from punk(like Against Me!) to NIN to anything in between besides metal. As for effects, i'm pretty clueless there.
You might want to check out an AC30. That sounds like about what you're looking for.
Yeah i had wanted to try one of those but i couldn't find one. Do they take effects well?
+1 on the AC30. They're fairly common amps, at least where I have gone to try them out. where have you looked?
As for taking effects well, i'm not sure. I don't use effects when trying out amps. But, AC30's are great amps, and they probably do take effects well.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I went to guitar center the other day to try one and all they had from vox was the valetronix amps. The AC30 is pretty much the only thing i haven't tried yet and it was one of the 2 i was most interested in, the other being the 65 Twin Reverb
Hmm...
Well, before you buy anything, make sure to check out an AC30. They are great punk amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
alright i'll be sure to do that. i had heard how good they are, but i haven't gotten to try one and i've also heard they don't handle pedals well and i would like to have the ability to experiment with certain effects. thanks for the advice man
Well, if you rely on effect pedals a lot, I think the twin reverb may be more up your alley. The Twin has "cleaner" cleans, and more headroom. But once again, you'd have to try both.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I would also try to figure out exactly what pedals you think you need and get to an amp budget. Also, if you can look at used amps you will find a whole other world of cool things to look at.

what else do you play beside punk and NIN? NIN is pretty heavy. Do you need/want any delay, phaser, chorus, wah type effects? Tuners, EQs, and noise gates are good to have too. Do you gig or jam with a band/drummer?