So I eagerly bought my 1992 Nissan Pathfinder 2 years ago when I was only 15.
It was in perfect condition then, but I couldn't legally drive it until a couple months ago.

So I recently get my license, drive it around for a month on 10 day permits, and find out that the bottom of the frame is too rotted to get its safety certificate. So it can't be put on the road.

Is there any way to repair a rotted frame of a truck, or is my biggest investment basically a piece of garbage now?
GEAR:
Vantage Ghost Gibson "The Paul" copy
Fender FM-100H half-stack
Regal vintage 30W class A amp head (handcrafted in Montreal)
Rotted...what? You mean rusted? What part of it? If it's just rusted out floor pans, it's not that big of a deal to fix. You just weld new ones in. If the actual frame is rusted, thn you've got a problem there...though I think the Pathfinder is a unibody model.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 11, 2008,
I'd say you should have thought of that before you bought it.
Sigs are overrated.
Get rid of it.

You could sand off the rot and rust, but that just weakens the frame and would pretty much make it an accident waiting to happen.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
Quote by Mutant Corn
Rotted...what? You mean rusted? What part of it? If it's just rusted out floor pans, it's not that big of a deal to fix. You just weld new ones in. If the actual frame is rusted, thn you've got a problem there...though I think the Pathfinder is a unibody model.

its actually called frame rot. If you can find a good welder, they should be able to fix it, or in indiana we can just slap 10000 lbs truck plates on it and there is no inspection, I dont know if canada has anything like that.
Quote by dannyboy14
I'd say you should have thought of that before you bought it.

This. It sound like you bought a lemon.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
This. It sound like you bought a lemon.

It was actually perfect condition when I got it. It just sat in the driveway for 2 years though, through rain and snow, so I guess that was my dad's fault for not storing it inside.

I feel like getting a welder to work on it will cost as much, if not more, than how much I bought the car for.
GEAR:
Vantage Ghost Gibson "The Paul" copy
Fender FM-100H half-stack
Regal vintage 30W class A amp head (handcrafted in Montreal)
My advice for next time- leaving a car 'sitting around' kills it. Even if you drove it around a bit once a week, you'd air it out and slow down that rotting.

But I can't see how the bottom of the frame got so rotted in two years to be honest..
Sigs are overrated.
Quote by Hugsy
It was actually perfect condition when I got it. It just sat in the driveway for 2 years though, through rain and snow, so I guess that was my dad's fault for not storing it inside.

I feel like getting a welder to work on it will cost as much, if not more, than how much I bought the car for.

Personally, I'd cut your losses, sell it, and buy a newer car. A 16 year old car is bound to have mechanical problems.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!