hi there,

a couple of months ago I bought some very expensive guitar which has an original floyd rose bridge, which is great btw.

as the guitar is worth a lot of money I wanted to really take care of it, so I got one of those dunlop "system 65 maintenance kits", that kit includes stuff to clean the strings, fretboard and guitar body, but it doesnt seem to include anything for cleaning the bridge specifically.

do you know or can you recommend me any good product to keep my floyd rose clean?

thx in advance
A soft rag, really. Just wipe the dust off it, really. Also use some oil on the moving parts to keep it working smoothly.
That's all I can really say, I'm not entirely sure.
Member of the Laney Cult
I use one of those micro-whatever rags that you can buy in guitar stores. I've also heard some guys use soft toothbrushes to get in the hard to reach places but I have not needed to do that yet. An OFR is quality, if you simply wipe it down after playing it'll last you forever. What guitar did you get?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
I use one of those micro-whatever rags that you can buy in guitar stores. I've also heard some guys use soft toothbrushes to get in the hard to reach places but I have not needed to do that yet. An OFR is quality, if you simply wipe it down after playing it'll last you forever. What guitar did you get?

yes ive also read about using a toothbrush, will try that, im specially worried since Ive spotted what seems to be some rust in the string saddle screws :S

the guitar is an ESP SV Standard which has an original floyd rose bridge.

How long have you had the guitar and do you live close to the ocean? Salt in the air is a death sentence, hope you keep your guitar in a case when not in use.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
How long have you had the guitar and do you live close to the ocean? Salt in the air is a death sentence, hope you keep your guitar in a case when not in use.

well, I got the guitar a couple of months ago, end of September or start of October not sure but not a long time anyway!!! and no, I live 100 km away from the sea, but the river is next to my house (not salty water at least)

i always keep the guitar in its case when im not playing :S

EDIT: i got the guitar at the START of SEPTEMBER
Sometime the oils from your skin can cause rust and I have seen it on a lot of guitars. If it's just the saddles they can be replaced easy enough and depending on how old the guitar is they could have been replaced already. I use a tooth brush like stated and Dust Off to blow the dirt and dust out of all the small spaces you just can't get into. Store your guitar in a case and toss in those little bags with the desiccant (silicagel) they absorb moisture. I don't know where you can buy them I usually save them when I get them. Wipe the Floyd down after you use the guitar before you store it..
i just cleaned my ibanez' floyd rose bridge a minute ago. i used a soft bristled brush like one you'd use to put a glaze on pastry or to oil a timber. worked great
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
Quote by DSOTM80

riiiiiight.
I'll explain my situation first and then get onto the quote.
Basically i have the standard stock floyd rose from when i originally got my rg550. It's gotten impossibley rusty recently (only on parts of it though) and has always been known (although especially more recently) to snap strings at the bridge and only at the bridge. i'm talking - putting a brand new set of d'addario's on and the 11 guage b string snapping within days.

i figure this is down to the rust, so am currently looking for an upgrade, and so have been doing intensive research on the bridges for about a week or so now, i have a local ibanez dealer who can probably get me an edge pro for about £150. but is the edge pro the best way to go?? ... i didn't like the idea of the speedloader, purely because (even though it's a floydists nightmare) i like changing my string types more than the weather (i have settled with d'addario "hybrids" atm though) ... and also what about the schaller floyd bridges??!!!
i hear/read they're some of the best out there, would they fit my rg ... maybe with a bit of modding?
what's the preference; schaller or edge pro? or is there a super spanky alternative??

finally, to the quote, you say salt in the air is a death sentence??! i live in a seaside town in england, could this be the reason for the original rusting?
i really don't want to be sent on a paranoia trip every time i get my guitar out of it's case when i get the new bridge fitted.
maybe wrapping myself and the guitar in cellophane?
probably kill the sustain on the notes mind.....

hehe ^_^
cheers
you should be able to use guitar cleaning solutions and a toothbrush on the bridge components...
can't see it doing any harm unless you dig into it way too much...
would using compressed air from one of those cans be safe to do?
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer