i wanna learn theory but don't even know where to start. i've tried and failed cuz i just want to learn to play fast ha ha. i hear about flated fourths or whatevers and all these terms but i just don't know where to start. i've been playing for four years and am very good and can play many solos and stuff like that but i want to know what i'm playing and stuff like that.
Quote by skaterskagg1
and am very good

thats the bit that stopped me from wanting to help you

if you don;t know theory, thats a big thing, and you're limited to what you can do with guitar
Start off like this. Learn all the notes on your neck. Either devise a system or manually learn each string. Learn all the notes in treble clef on a stave.

very simple but it will help. When you've learnt this (unless you know it)
write out scales and chords on neck diagrams and sheet music. And identify intervals within the chords and scales and so forth. This is where you can start.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by adr11iano

if you don;t know theory, thats a big thing, and you're limited to what you can do with guitar

Not really, because you can just improvise, and figure things out, like I do. It may be harder, but in no way am I limited, I mean... There's so many famous musicians who have only the smallest knowledge of theory.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by adr11iano

I meant that i can many songs and solo's that some might consider difficult, but its all just memorization and playing over and over again. I can't analyze what i'm playing
Quote by skaterskagg1
i wanna learn theory but don't even know where to start. i've tried and failed cuz i just want to learn to play fast ha ha. i hear about flated fourths or whatevers and all these terms but i just don't know where to start. i've been playing for four years and am very good and can play many solos and stuff like that but i want to know what i'm playing and stuff like that.

read the crusade articles. I am, and they're VERY good. Don't think it's too begginer-ish, cos you'll learn alot.

also, don't ever say you're 'very good' cos people won't want to help you
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Start at the beginning: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

If you have any questions, post them in here or start a thread or even add me on msn/yahoo.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Complete bs what the guy said of "knowing no theory = u can't play guitar"

Theory just opens potential ways of making music, but it doesn't define if 1 can play guitar.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??