Poll: Euthanasia - Yes or No?
Poll Options
View poll results: Euthanasia - Yes or No?
Yes
206 80%
No
19 7%
Undecided
33 13%
Voters: 258.
Page 1 of 3
So, there are lots of hot topics in the pit: Religion, Abortion, Global warming, Beating children etc. Euthanasia is one I've always been interested in - another grey area for society. Do you agree or disagree with it, and why?

With Poll this tiem!
I agree with it, but only for people who are competent enough to make their own decisions.

If I got a degenerative illness that was going to leave me dying a prisoner in my own body I'd like to think that I could at least end it before it got that bad. We give that courtesy to dogs.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Hey, any of you guys from the previous thread, I saved your text before I deleted it. Just say if you want it reposted.
Quote by LordBishek
Hey, any of you guys from the previous thread, I saved your text before I deleted it. Just say if you want it reposted.
yeah, you can repost mine.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
yeah, you can repost mine.

I'm not reposting yours

Quote by boreamor

I don't agree with it... But I think it's stupid not to let people do it. I mean it's their life...

Quote by Aesop_Rock

I think we should worry about our own kiddies first aye.

Quote by soulflyV

I agree with it, but only if the persons ability to think is at full capacity or if the person is in a vegetative state where they will never be able to function correctly if they wake/where they will never "wake up".

EDIT:

Quote by Aesop_Rock

I think you've confused euthanasia with abortion.

Quote by DartS17

Arguments For Euthanasia:

* It provides a way to relieve extreme pain
* It provides a way of relief when a person's quality of life is low
* Frees up medical funds to help other people
* It is another case of freedom of choice

Arguments Against Euthanasia:

* Euthanasia devalues human life
* Euthanasia can become a means of health care cost containment
* Physicians and other medical care people should not be involved in directly causing death
* There is a "slippery slope" effect that has occurred where euthanasia has been first been legalized for only
the terminally ill and later laws are changed to allow it for other people or to be done non-voluntarily.

Off of google, but might give some people some talking points
I guess I'm gonna say depends on the situation
If someone is brain-dead, or living only in extreme pain then yes if you can know they want it (will or relative)
If you're doing it for unethical reasons (costing too much to keep them alive, dont feel like taking care of them) then no, it's inhumane
For me it just depends on the situation, like most things

Quote by jp58

Quote by Aesop_Rock

i-c-wat-u-did-thar

and i disagree with it completely, assisted suicide is still suicide but but with a homicide twist

edit: and to spell it out he meant "youth in asia"...

Quote by CliffIsAngry

if you are old and feel like you just cant die fast enough I see no problems with it.

Quote by sacchiel13

yeah I agree with Aesop_Rock, I don't see whats wrong with children in the orient.

Edited
Last edited by LordBishek at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by soulflyV

Quote by jp58

i-c-wat-u-did-thar

and i disagree with it completely, assisted suicide is still suicide but but with a homicide twist

It's not like there are people from Asian on UG right?

I have to admit, it was a bit assumptive.

Quote by LordBishek

Am I missing something? What is this bullshit about kiddies?

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by LordBishek

Youth in Asia? yeah, i could go for that.

Quote by soulflyV

Quote by LordBishek

Quote by jp58

It was a kind of hit and miss joke.

Quote by gothboy666

if someone wants to die they should be allowed to i mean we do rely on free will dont we

[quote="Graft666
"]
Euthanasia...Hmmm

Decent CD, I Really Enjoyed A Tout Le Monde

OH, Wait We're Talking About Assisted Suicide?

Quote by LordBishek

Stop talking about asian kids

We must concentrate on this serious matter at hand!

Edited
Quote by soulflyV
Taken from previous thread:

I agree with it, but only if the persons ability to think is at full capacity or if the person is in a vegetative state where they will never be able to function correctly if they wake/where they will never "wake up".

This.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Minkaro

I'm going to agree with what'shisface up there (can't be bothered going back up to see who it was). If the person in question is in serious pain with almost no chance of reprieve, or is in a comatose state with almost no chance of waking up, then I think it's the right thing to do.

Quote by Auals

I think that Euthenasia as in, assisting someone to the point where the decision is theres to make whether they die or not (giving them a loaded gun in a sense). Then it's still their decision. Pulling the trigger yourself should still be illegal. Unless the person doing it physically can't. I think doctors and physicians should either not be given the right at all, or given the exclusive right. I know that's a long to hang on someone's head, but Euthanasia in general can be bad for the helpers mental health.

However, I think suicide shouldn't be illegal or considered as bad as it is either. For some people it's a release but as mentioned before, it is still a personal choice, if they want to make that choice, that's their decision. Whatever your views, if you can't understand it then leave it alone. Personally, for me, suicide has the same things attached to it in my town as atheism does.

If you are an atheist, then christians will instantly try and talk to you into being Lutheran/Jehovah's Witness/Christian. This town is incredibly religious, so anyone like me who is pro-choice/atheistic has a seriously hard time as soon as people found out about it. I leave my religious beliefs at the door now days and if someone asks, unless i'm in the mood for a large debate, I leave the topic of Pro-Choice and Religion out of the conversation.

But yeah, I think Euthanasia is a bit far. Because all I can see is the side where someone's up in court for manslaughter and says "He asked me to do it"... how can you totally prove that the guy didn't ask to be killed? He's not alive anymore to renounce it. It's too hard a topic to make a decision about.

Quote by soulflyV

Quote by LordBishek

Maybe you should delete this thread and re-make it with a poll, dude.

And tell people not to spam in the new one

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by LordBishek

just thinkin about a sweet asian girl makes me seriously wanna take my matter in my hand.

Quote by demonofthenight

Until one of us is in a such an extreme mental or physical pain that no amount of drugs (of any kind) can lessen, I do not believe anyone on this board (or in this world) can adequatly comment on the moral issues surrounding euthanasia.

Well, inb4 hypocrite, but I'm all for it. Is leaving someone in extreme pain (a pain we cannot comprehend) actually valueing that persons life? Should be legal but HEAVILY legislated and restricted. For euathanasia to be acceptable, an unrelated doctor should assess the patient mentally (both psychologically and with brain scanning machines) to prove that the patient is suffering mortally.

EDIT: and psychologically assessed informed consent from ALL parties (family, the sufferer, relevant life-long friends).
And to add to all this, maybe a judge should also give his/her opinion?

The way the word is pronounced is YOUTH-an'-ASIA. As in the youth from asia.

Quote by CaptainRon

Quote by DartS17

* Physicians and other medical care people should not be involved in directly causing death

I'm sure if you made a list for people that want to give someone the injection their would be people to join.

I don't have much to say on the issue. I think that every case should be seen by a judge and if its given the go-ahead then the person can be euthanized. This is of course once the case meets the restrictions for it to be seen to by a judge.

Quote by Minkaro

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

just thinkin about a sweet asian girl makes me seriously wanna take my matter in my hand.

Does that poor Russian mod chap know about this?

Edited
I am not sure. My entire family is completely against it, but if they were in agonising pain, I don't think they'd be so quick to judge people who took that way out.

I am religious, so I consider the people giving it to be murderers. But at the same time, if I were in pain, and all they did was stand there and pat my head as I begged for death, I'd call them torturers.

What I DEFINITELY disagree with is what's going on in Britain. Elderly people with dementia are being encouraged and pressured to euthanise themselves so as not to burden their families. I think that's just wrong.
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by Abunai X
I am not sure. My entire family is completely against it, but fi they were in agonising pain, I don't think they'd be so quick to judge people who took that way out.

I am religious, so I consider the people giving it to be murderers. But at the same time, if I were in pain, and all they did was stand there and pat my head as I begged for death, I'd call them torturers.

Weird things those brains of ours, eh?
Wow, no 'noes.' UG kiddies are really into killing people in pain? Anyway read my post from the old thread.
Quote by demonofthenight
Wow, no 'noes.' UG kiddies are really into killing people in pain? Anyway read my post from the old thread.

I'm not "into" it. If they wanted to die, then who are we to tell them they can't?
Only if the person is capable of making the decision or had previously left it so if they where incapacitated they would like this done to them (in a will or another legal document).
Also to get it done they should have to go through obvious evaluations and such before such a decision could be made. But as long as all the safeguards are in place, then id say im fine with it. Why should someone have to live in incredible pain with no quality of life?
if i become a vegetable, i want the right to die, if i decide that i want to die, i should have that option
nothing.
Quote by saphrax
Girl get the right to not have a heart transplant.

Quite relevant to this thread really.

I voted Yes.

Yea, that's what i was talking about.
No, that's coincidential. I can't remember what I was thinking about when this popped into my head. I think it was James Blunt, actually
Quote by saphrax
Girl get the right to not have a heart transplant.

Quite relevant to this thread really.

I voted Yes.

Fvck, I'd want to die as well if my parents looked liked that.

lol, I thought the pics down the left side were showing the story of her life.
XIAOXI
Jason Becker, anyone ?

"Her father Andrew, 43, told the Daily Telegraph: "It is outrageous that the people from the hospital could presume we didn't have our daughter's best interests at heart "
Anyone else notice that pun?
Quote by Minkaro
But this is still on topic

If Becker is well enough to compose, then euthanasia is not the right thing.

Who's becker? And how can the plight of one decide the fates of many?
Quote by LordBishek
No, that's coincidential. I can't remember what I was thinking about when this popped into my head. I think it was James Blunt, actually

Ya, I reckon we should put James blunt out of his misery too.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya, I reckon we should put James blunt out of our misery too.

Fixed like the 2000 US presidential election
Quote by LordBishek
Who's becker? And how can the plight of one decide the fates of many?

Jason Becker. Former Cacophony guitarist (along with Marty Friedman). He's got Lou Gehrig's disease (might have spelt that wrong, there's a proper sciency name for it that I can't remember, basically it's "that disease Stephen Hawkings has).

As for the plight of one stuff, I'm just using him as an example for cases where euthanasia isn't the right thing.
Quote by Minkaro
But this is still on topic

If Becker is well enough to compose, then euthanasia is not the right thing.

He WAS given 3 years to live though, and expected to die.
Luckily though, he survived and is composing stuff with his eyes

^ And it's ALS.
Quote by Minkaro
Jason Becker. Former Cacophony guitarist (along with Marty Friedman). He's got Lou Gehrig's disease (might have spelt that wrong, there's a proper sciency name for it that I can't remember, basically it's "that disease Stephen Hawkings has).

As for the plight of one stuff, I'm just using him as an example for cases where euthanasia isn't the right thing.

I thought Hawking had Motor Neurone disease
You know me as a religious freak and I always believe that life is way too precious. I'd just say that those people who are suffering, maybe because they lost their legs or arms, etc shouldnt accept eutanasia.

Certain Bible textbooks always claim that euthanasia is bad but I do think that they should accept it if the condition of the person is the worst.
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
I'm for euthanasia.

If I was stuck with bone cancer, I'd definitely want to end it now instead of suffering.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Page 1 of 3