Page 1 of 3
Okay, so after building my strat, I have to say that I've been fiending to build another guitar. This may not end up happening until the summer, but seeing as I'm going to have to save up loads of money for this, I thought I'd start planning now, and preogressively chip away at the overall cost of this badboy.

I'd Kisekae something up, but apparently my laptop doesn't have the proper flash plugin... >.o... shoddy photoshop attempt will be up soon...

As for the specs (because I know that's what you're here to see ) I'm still undecided about a couple aspects of the build, but this is what I'm thinking so far(very basic prices, just a very general price to get me started) :

Wood:

Sapele body, (LP shape)................................................~$________
Lightly figured Maple cap:..............................................~$_________
Neck Through? (sapele/maple/sapele lam) :................~$__________
Ebony Fingerboard? (25"):.........................................~$________

(I'd like to get some ideas with respect to pricing on this, I'm thinking of buying off of one of the users on here... )

Other misc. crap:

Black Binding (Stewmac):....................................~$10.00
Black Tune-o-matic? (Ebay):................................. ~$20.00 (with stoptail)
String-thru Ferrules? (Stewmac):..........................~$20.00
Stainless Steel Frets(Stewmac)...........................~$25.00
EMG 81/85 (w/18V , 2V2T):..............................~$150.00
Standard Black Barrel Knobs(Ebay):....................~$10.00
Black Straplocks(Local Store)...............................~$25.00
Sperzel Locking tuners........................................~$70.00
Graphtech nut(stewmac).....................................~$10.00
1/8" Allen Nut Truss Rod - 18"(stewmac).................~$20.00
Misc hardware (covers, rings, etc).......................~$25.00
Template (Ultimate template thread, anyone? .....~Priceless!

SO! My questions are:

1) Neck thru: I'm planning on having a Sapele/maple laminate (maple stripe), it's just a matter of how i want it joined to the actual guitar. Not really rushing on this one, but I'd like some outside Opinions...

2)Ebony Vs Rosewood: All the guitars i've owned have had Rosewood Fingerboards. I'd like a 25" (PRS) scale, but i can't decide if i wanna go for the ebony or not... once again, not pressed for time, so i'd like to hear some opinions on this.

3)Binding: I'd hoped to bind this sucka, as it's gonna be a high-contrast colour scheme...I'll be using black plastic binding (thus far); I've looked up thicknesses, but have yet to make a decision as to which one would be best. Opinions?

4) Tune-o-Matic + Ferrules: If I do this as a neck-thru style, will I have to recess the bridge? just a thought crossing my mind) This might sound stupid, but the ferrules wouldn't have to be mounted any differently than if the bridge weren't recessed, would they?

5)Truss Rod: I'm looking into the Hot Rod Adjustable Truss, with the 1/8" allen head. Question(s) is(are): what size? (and any reccomendations on a better brand? I'm not as educated on this aspect as id like to be... Any preferences?)

Did I miss anything? it's 4:30 am here, so I might be a tad bit out of it.

tl;dr: JAKE'S GONNA BUILD A PERDY GITTAR
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Nov 17, 2008,
I personally like the hot rod truss rods, I know LP hates them for some reason though, not sure why.. You could definitely do a neckthrough, you just have to plan everything out from a profile view so you end up with decent action, youll need a neck angle.. I've never used ebony for fingerboards, always rosewood, I just like the look. Binding thickness is all a matter of opinion. I dont think you need to do the ferrules any different way if your recessing the bridge, Ive never recessed a TOM before though.
^ thanks boss, what i figure i'll do is have the neck blank extended through the entire guitar, have the sapele wings, and then the maple cap on top of all of that? that way i can do all the routing under the cap, and leave the top beautiful!
------

Shwiggity.
You should buy the sapele and the neck blanks from LP Addict while he has them for sale

You will only have to recess the TOM if you don't put a neck angle on your neck, and if its a set neck and you for some reason later down the line deside to change the bridge, then you can do it.... Plus recessed TOM look cool IMO And yes the ferrells all stay in the same position as always.

Also I don't know why but for some reason I like bolt on necks more than neck thru's and set necks. So obviously i'm going to recommend them, but thats my personal taste....

For the fret board its up to you, what ever you think will look best, it wont change tone at all (to your ear, you will have had to play guitar for 200 years and know everything about it to relise the difference....
right on, i was planning on buying from LP, it's just a matter of how much money i have, and when. I think i'll end up recessing the TOM, but for the bolt on, my las build was a bolt on, and i wanted to make this one neck thru.
------

Shwiggity.
I had to go quite a few pages back in my photobucket to dig this up... but maybe youll wanna do something like this..

Quote by deftonesordie
This may not end up happening until the summer
Never something I want to read when I open a new build thread

Quote by deftonesordie
but i can't decide if i wanna go for the ebony or not... once again, not pressed for time, so i'd like to hear some opinions on this.
Well if you want contrast, ebony f/b and maple top is a good way to go about it, and if you have always had rosewood may be its time for a change?

Quote by deftonesordie
4) Tune-o-Matic + Ferrules: If I do this as a neck-thru style, will I have to recess the bridge? just a thought crossing my mind) This might sound stupid, but the ferrules wouldn't have to be mounted any differently than if the bridge weren't recessed, would they?
You will nonly have to recess the TOM if you dont give the guitar a neck angle, and either way the ferrules are mounted in the same way.

Quote by deftonesordie
5)Truss Rod: I'm looking into the Hot Rod Adjustable Truss, with the 1/8" allen head. Question(s) is(are): what size?
Nothing wrong with hot rods, you need an 18" one for an electric guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
maybe you should buy sapele from me. i also have a neck-through blank i am not going to use, curly walnut/pau ferro/curly hard maple/pau ferro/curly walnut. and figured walnut tops to match the walnut strip in the neck-through. ill give it to you for less than any other place.

=]
^ I was originally planning on buying from you

that blank sounds delicious, do you have pics by any chance?

oh, and Absentmind:

it's not Thaat bad... not like a cretain James4... XP
------

Shwiggity.
Just a small update, nothing substantial by any means...

Regard:

a little bit of a shop to more accurately figure out what this badboy will look like. imagine that + black binding, because i can't do anything worthwhile for imaging with this crap-ass laser mouse.

but imagine!
------

Shwiggity.
^ Laser mice are the best...?

I can imagine. I imagine sexiness.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
This laser mouse is a cheap one, it won't take fine movements very well, and it shudders a lot wen trying to trace things. i had no problem on my older laser mouse, but then again, i had a mouse pad then as well..

ah well, benefit of the shitty picture is that it can really only look better than that :P
------

Shwiggity.
i gotta find out info on how to ship international... i could probably save you a few bucks on your parts, dude.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
that would be beautiful! I'd be glad to assist you with finding out how to ship internationally, so everyone can benefit
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
^ I was originally planning on buying from you

that blank sounds delicious, do you have pics by any chance?

oh, and Absentmind:

it's not Thaat bad... not like a cretain James4... XP

*shakes fist*

..have you forgotten about Callum?

...but anyway, looks like a pretty good plan. Sould be pretty nice
i think he just fell off the map

and no offense buddy... i just want to see that thing finished

DEFTedit:

I'm in a lecture currently, but I've Drawn up a sketch of the headstock design I'm thinking of using...

Hint for now: it's got a touch of Ken Lawrence in it, in my opinion...
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Nov 12, 2008,
So, as promised in the edit (if anyone even read it... :\ ):

dost the community of GB&C approveth of the proposed headstock shape...eth?

i had some fun drawing through my calculus, physics, and chemistry lectures today.
------

Shwiggity.
haha, looks good, the headstock could use a bit of fine tuning though, im not sure what to suggest though... its a great start though..
didnt even notice the 3 humbuckers.. yea.. if your guitar has 3 humbuckers they are right up against each other from what I've seen.
Sorry guys, didn't mean to mislead, i put that in to get the idea of how humbuckers would Look Steven Carpenter style (go figure), i don't plan on having 3 humbuckers. i meant to have edited it to have one or the other.

any input on that?
------

Shwiggity.
25" scale ftw. headstock design ftw... i kinda like it. maybe a tweak or two here or there... nothing major just a little slimming of the top width i'd say...

i'll email my suppliers and see what their policy is on shipping international... worst case scenario i'll have it delivered here and ship it myself... only problem is shipping would be more

but yea, i'll find out. i can save you a bunch... i can sell a double action truss rod for like 9 bucks and still make a few pennies . I'm not even offering 15% off as my sig says... i'm actually comparing all prices and discounting more on a lot of things... stewmac, for example, has some things cheaper than allparts even with my discount... i, in turn, lower my discount more... i think i'm saving invader jim like 18-20% off of his stuff (if he ever pays his car insurance and gets some money )

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by carousel182
thats fine, no problem with that.. Its a good sketch man, where in ontario are you?

I'm originally from a spot just north of toronto, but I'm currently in St. Catharines at Brock University as a Chem major.

As for the design of the headstock; it was just a preliminary sketch, I just started slimming parts and extending other parts...

And thanks a load for the help, NBT8! (sorry, I'm a very lazy typer... ) I'm working on attaining a bartending licence, so when that happens i should hopefully have a decent source of income, thus speeding this project up substantially
------

Shwiggity.
Sweet, thats pretty far away haha I'm actually in the US but i go up to the kingston area often.. Looks like a good project, why do you only want a "lightly figured" maple top?
well, I plan on leaving the front natural (possibly gloss, most likely semigloss), but I think a heavily flamed or quilted top would give this guitar a but too much... madness...? i want it to be pretty basic.

Mind you, if i were to stain it, i'd want the most flaming, quilted top ever. but not in that way

DEFTedit:

this:

versus this:

actually... it kinda looks like they're both pretty well figured. i guess any maple will do XD

NOTE: the top one it probably closer hardware-wise to what i'd like this to turn out to be... but black bound, with the natural finish like the one beneath.
------

Shwiggity.
updatesordie

Oh, now the race is on
This sounds really sweet man, I'll be keeping an eye out for this guitar!

and don't worry, it's not you.
Kisekae went bust for me to, I tried to draw up a picture of the LP I'm planning to build.

well, so far no progress...

I've been kinda busy with finals coming up soon... Any news on hardware?

I'll Kisekae up a picture of what I want this to be now, and edit it into my first post. My only real setback is being a student, I have no money, and no time for a job at this point. On top of that, I have Christmas gifts to get for the family (although I mayyy be recieving 2 12" speakers for my ca back home).

As I said, this one will be much more drawn-out, but if I can get some cash from working over the holidays I miiight be able to put a little dent in this badboy.

donations anyone?

DEFTedit: Dannng homes, the Les Paul kisekae is currently Out of Commission. wft!
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by deftonesordie

well, so far no progress...

I've been kinda busy with finals coming up soon... Any news on hardware?

I'll Kisekae up a picture of what I want this to be now, and edit it into my first post. My only real setback is being a student, I have no money, and no time for a job at this point. On top of that, I have Christmas gifts to get for the family (although I mayyy be recieving 2 12" speakers for my ca back home).

As I said, this one will be much more drawn-out, but if I can get some cash from working over the holidays I miiight be able to put a little dent in this badboy.

donations anyone?

DEFTedit: Dannng homes, the Les Paul kisekae is currently Out of Commission. wft!

I was pissed when I saw that. lol.

And yeah, I'm a student as well, this is gonna be one hell of a ride
well, on top of it not working, I had to wait for about a week and a half to actually be able to use ANY kisekae bacause my flash driver was pooched.

as long of a ride it is, it's the destination that matters
------

Shwiggity.
my suppliers do international shipping but i'm finding it a little cheaper (in the case of the UK anyway) to have everything shipped to my house and then send it via USPS. As far as canada is concerned, the shipping that i've researched is like $16 usd - or somewhere around that... a little more for 6-10 day guaranteed.

Which would you reccomend? I'll defnitely check them all out, mind you, but where have you had the most success?
------

Shwiggity.
they've all been very responsive to me... they all have their good and bad. GPUSA has a lot of import stuff that is still quite nice, allparts, wdmusic and mojomusicalsupply have all great parts (and some cheapies). They are all very good thus far. Allparts is a little pricey even to me but I can still manage to discount things under what screwmac would sell them for. I really have to find time to get my website and online order management set up... this word of mouth stuff isn't working too well just yet lol.

please do, because Allparts' site is confusing me.

There are bridges for sale, but they don't say if thy include posts. pre fretted ebony boards but no pre slotted and raduised... it's slightly confusing... I'm gonna look on some of the other sites too, but so far Allparts has just rattled my brain a bit. >.<
------

Shwiggity.
The all parts website sucks giant donkey dick! The UK version is even worse, barely any pictures for the products, very anoying!

What do you need in terms of a website? May be we should go into partnership and I'll set up a reseller in the UK

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i have a website (it's in my sig). I need to start setting up an online catalog. It's hard juggling a full time job, guitar stuff, web maintenance, band, home and dating life... actually, ****... i haven't really been dating much either...

Quote by deftonesordie

Template (Ultimate template thread, anyone? .....~Priceless!

im glad my work is appreciated !

good luck on the build!
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Page 1 of 3