Guitar

Well there is this guy on Craigslist; he's completely honest because he went and told us that it was really an Epiphone with a Gibson Les Paul headstock. And he switched the pickups and the actual switch to a gibson switch. So i got to thinking he's selling it for 325, then i could buy gibson 57 classic pickups for 120 usd then get a gibson body and make it a real gibson les paul for less money than usual. So UG what you think??
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Sounds really overly complicated for no reason, I think you should just buy a proper Gibson instead of wasting your time with this.
You're wasting your time, it will be overly expensive and waste of money.
If you want a Gibson, buy a Gibson instead of trying to make one.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Birchall17
Sounds really overly complicated for no reason, I think you should just buy a proper Gibson instead of wasting your time with this.

dont have the cash yet though...
and....this would be easier
Quote by Jackolas

Quote by dreams broken
dont have the cash yet though...
and....this would be easier

Buying a body, dismantling a guitar for parts, then gluing the neck back on then having to refinish it, installing the parts correctly and having it set up is easier than going to the guitar shops and handing over a credit card?

It will end in disaster if you try it.
I praise you for being ambitious though.

E-Married to Funny_Page
By the way, I just bought that same epiphone, and it is a great guitar, the pick-ups are pretty decent, but I think I'm gonna switch them eventually.
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by Chrisiphone
Buying a body, dismantling a guitar for parts, then gluing the neck back on then having to refinish it, installing the parts correctly and having it set up is easier than going to the guitar shops and handing over a credit card?

It will end in disaster if you try it.
I praise you for being ambitious though.

aight..well i still think ill purchase this guitar so i can have it and call it a gibson around friends at skool .....thx for the praise btw
Quote by Jackolas

It'll be a good buy as it is!
Epiphones are very good guitars for the money, plus with the mods it has had it will certainly improve it. Such as the stock pickups aren't very good, but with Gibbo's in it it will be good!

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
It'll be a good buy as it is!
Epiphones are very good guitars for the money, plus with the mods it has had it will certainly improve it. Such as the stock pickups aren't very good, but with Gibbo's in it it will be good!

mhmm thts wut i planned

1 more question....how good is the neck/ wood quiality on...epiphone les pauls?
Quote by Jackolas

They are solid guitars, just don't abuse it!
The necks mahogany and the body is mahogany, alder with a maple top.
Build quality is good, it will last you a very long time.

E-Married to Funny_Page
It sounds fishy to me. Why put a Gibson headstock on an Epi neck and it would have to have been broken, the neck would have to be reworked in order for the head stock to be mounted and reglued then refinished. (????) Without seeing it I can't comment on the work but it is a very sketchy story at least. A whole different story if they had just switched bolt on necks but it wouldn't be a Gibson LP neck. I would bet it's a counterfit Gibson LP someone trying to unload. Ask for more pics the pic on Craigs list is just not big enough to get a good look so, get a pic of the angle of the headstock real LPs have a distinctive angle where the counterfits don't, get a pic of the repair, the serial # because it will have the original Gibson serial number on the back of the head stock if it is a Gibson HS and run the number thru Gibson and ask for close ups. Getting a Gibson LP body resetting neck and going thru all that is just not worth it. I repair and build guitars in my spare time and I wouldn't take it on and even if you did your not going to have a guitar that would be worth what an all original LP is worth. You would be better off buying a real Gibson LP and they can be found for a good price I have paid as low as $250.00 for an LP thru the local Want Ad. You just have to be patient and a good negotiator.

I would put my money on the guy buing a counterfit didn't know it until he broke it and got it repaier and was told it wasn't a true Gibson so he made up the story. That's my therory.

As far as the wood goes Epi uses African Mahogany vs Gibsons Honduran Mahogany They are both Mahogany but with slightly different characteristics so I do not know how blending the two together would work.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Nov 12, 2008,