Or is it just because they have massive amounts of cash, and they can customize their tone a little more if they have individual pedals?

Either way, I'm looking for an overdrive pedal and a wah pedal, so I'm probably better off getting single pedals right? (I'm not even gonna ask for pedal recommendations because I know how subjective tone can be).

Also, I might as well ask while I'm here, does the distortion on pedals sound much better than the distortion built into the amplifier? (I know it'll vary on the amp, but it's just weird seeing that even professionals use these teensy weeny pedals when they have awesome tube amps for distortion).
Multi-effect units can be good but they're rather impractical on stage. As well, a lot of them use amp modeling technology and not a lot of people like processed-sounding guitars.

As for whether distortion sounds better from a pedal or the amp, it's up to your ears. People could spend this whole thread arguing how either stompboxes sound too processed or how amp distortion just isn't good enough, but in the end, it all comes down to the player's own opinion.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by auskeek
Or is it just because they have massive amounts of cash, and they can customize their tone a little more if they have individual pedals?

Either way, I'm looking for an overdrive pedal and a wah pedal, so I'm probably better off getting single pedals right? (I'm not even gonna ask for pedal recommendations because I know how subjective tone can be).

Also, I might as well ask while I'm here, does the distortion on pedals sound much better than the distortion built into the amplifier? (I know it'll vary on the amp, but it's just weird seeing that even professionals use these teensy weeny pedals when they have awesome tube amps for distortion).

It depends on what kind of sound your looking for. If you want a bluesy sound like AC/DC or Jimi Hendrix then you would need to buy an all-tube amp and get your overdrive from that (such as a Marshall Plexi). If you want to play metal, nu-metal, then you might buy an amp that is voiced for higher gain tones like ENGL, Crate, Randall, Krank.

Now say you decide to buy a Marshall amp that is voiced for cleaner blues sounds... You like old classic rock and that is the sound you get from that amp right. Now say you are in a position to play in a metal band or an emo band (haha) then you might throw a Digitech Metal Master in front of it. Now you have access to those high gain mid-scooped sounds. You see its all subjective as far as what you want and how much you are willing to spend. Say your rich okay. Well then you could just buy a Marshall stack and play your blues and classic rock and you could buy a ENGL or Crate stack for your metal sounds! You need to think about what kind of sound you want, then research products before you buy them to see what they do, what they are made for, is the product versatile enough to meet all of yours needs? Maybe, maybe not.

Now to answer your question about pedals vs. rack equipment... A lot of this comes down to personal opinion. Distortion and overdrive can be had in stomp-box form or rack form (pre-amp units). One is not necessariliy better than the other. Your best bet is to check out other guitarists that you like and see how they get their sound. Also, try products out when you get the chance and make the decision yourself. You can also get wah pedals in foot box form or in rack form (with an expression pedal attached to it). A lot of times the only reason to have a rack unit wah is because it probably has some fancy bells and whistles that allows you to customize and detail your wah sound. I prefer to just buy a simple wah pedal, but thats just me. Chorus, flange, uni-vibe, tremolo, echo, delay, phaser, etc, you can buy one pedal for each of them, one pedal that does them all, a rack unit for each, or a rack unit that does them all. It all comes down to how you want your setup to be... and most of all, your funds. Ive found that when it comes to music equipment, what you pay is what you get. A lot of times the more expensive units really are better. But don't buy a 500 dollar delay pedal if you have a 500 dollar processor amp. A flip side to this is there are also a lot of pitfalls that are a complete waste of your money. Its a lot to take in and a lot to learn. What you need to do is spend your money carefully and wisely. Research products by reading reviews at harmony central.com and also you can listen to different devices on Youtube. Maybe look up your favorite artists on guitargeek.com and see what he/she uses!
Last edited by Mase947 at Nov 11, 2008,
wow, that's a big story:P
I do agree with what your saying though.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
nobody uses multieffects because they come with like 40 preset sounds. most of them suck.
we want to tweak our own sound, and experiment a little. change the settings of the sound. use them all simultaneously. change the order the effects go in. multieffects are just the easy and simple solution for effects but it isn't the best. thats why we all use single effects.
If you are covering a wide range of bands and styles a multifx is the way to go. I've heard live bands including my guitar teacher's band using multifx and and they sound great. If you have a good ear and are technically savvy wrt selecting and setting up your equipment and presets you will sound good (playing ability aside). If you are covering one style of music then there are better ways to go than a mutlifx.
I use the channels on my amp and use my multi effects pedal for wah, EQ, and delay. The modeled amps on the MultiFX pedals aren't that great, so I use the distortion and clean channels on my VOX.
Quote by dbl93100
nobody uses multieffects because they come with like 40 preset sounds. most of them suck.
we want to tweak our own sound, and experiment a little. change the settings of the sound. use them all simultaneously. change the order the effects go in. multieffects are just the easy and simple solution for effects but it isn't the best. thats why we all use single effects.

With stuff like the new generation PODs and factal axe fx and TC electronics. The gap is closing. A few more years and only a dog will be able to tell the difference.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by auskeek

Personally i dont like soley using distortion pedals for distortion, and theres only a few pedals i like.

Alot of pros that you're talking about use an overdrive pedal e.g. a Tubescreamer lightly on top of the amp's distortion to give it a different sound. I personally think this pedal/amp-distortion sound is very nice.

Quote by auskeek

Some pedalboards are very customizable, and you can tweak them alot. It may be that they don't want/need/like all of the exta effects and stuff on the multi-effects things. I'm building up my own pedal collection because i only plan on using a few effects, i dont need everything something like a POD offers, and i have no plans to use the amp modeling, so i can probably save a bit of money just buying good quality stomp boxes.

Quote by auskeek

I'd say try things out. A pod will do acceptable overdrive and wah, but you end up paying for alot of things which you may not use, but then again, you may like the extras. so yeah... try things out?

Hope that helps?
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.