We've just bought a shiny new TV and it came with a rather impressive looking sound system - The only problem is, we haven't a clue how to set it up, in terms of where to put speakers and so on.

So, Pit, your challenge is to tell me where the speakers, illustrated below, should go in relation to the TV...

It's not where they go in relation to the tv, it's where they go in relation to where you're sitting.

Basically just point them at you.
Well you probably want the sub on the floor haha. Thats what will make the floor shake Oh and grats on the new purchase!! Id say put a speaker on each side of your tv and one on each side ouf your couch OR put one in a corner and another in a different corner. But like the guy said above me, place them based on where you are sitting and make sure that they are pointing at you haha.
if you put a tall one in each corner of the room = surround sound

and yeah put the sub on the floor, preferably underneath the tv if possible
What about the big bass thing... and the smaller speaker - Do they go pretty central?
The box that the sound system came in was actually bigger than the TV box.

Right, cheers for the advice lads

Probably experiment with differnet locations for the tall ones
Quote by urbanfox
What about the big bass thing... and the smaller speaker - Do they go pretty central?

Yeah, try to keep them pretty close to the tv F**k Im very jealous of you man. How much did that run you if you dont mind me asking??
the four towers go in the corners of the room.
the wide enclosure goes directly above or below the screen.
the sub goes right underneath your ass.
and put on a music video that has a low F# in the song.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
The placement of the speakers in a surround system quite the exact science for all the speakers except the sub which should be placed in the room in a position where it sounds best to your ears and not being boomy at the same time.

I suggest a google search of "surround speaker placement" for some exact measurements and angles from your seating position.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by b.m.s.
Yeah, try to keep them pretty close to the tv F**k Im very jealous of you man. How much did that run you if you dont mind me asking??

Well the package (TV, Stand and Sound System) was £899... but my mom knows the bloke who works in the shop, so we got 10% knocked off

Quote by halikus
The placement of the speakers in a surround system quite the exact science for all the speakers except the sub which should be placed in the room in a position where it sounds best to your ears and not being boomy at the same time.

I suggest a google search of "surround speaker placement" for some exact measurements and angles from your seating position.

That does indeed sound rather scientific and a bit too much effort
put it in my living room.

you cant go wrong.
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Google Basic 5.1 setups to see where the speakers go. The sub can go anywhere as it is felt more than heard

There are some mathmatical steps to figure out the best placment for the four monitors. I suggest taking the time to go throughall of that as it will give you the best sound.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by bob vila
put it in my living room.

you cant go wrong.

Well its got 700W output according to the box, so I'd probably still hear it...