This isn't a 'should I buy an MG or something else' thread, I've already settled on a Vypyr.

Just a question... do the people here hate MGs because they're too 'hit or miss', or because they don't like the tone of them? I was playing through one at my local guitar shop today (because someone else was on the JVM for like an hour) and it sounded alright at lower volumes. I didn't have the volume past about 3 though. Nowhere near as good as the other Marshalls, but nowhere near as bad as everyone here makes them out to be.

What's the go?
I've never seen a 'hit or miss' with an MG. Just a miss. I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon, but those amps sound bad, and they're very unreliable. If you play an MG next to a Cube, Vypyr or almost anything else in it's price range, you'll probably see how bad they sound.

I'd rather get a MicroCube then an MG though.
Sound like turd.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by slickerthnsleek
This isn't a 'should I buy an MG or something else' thread, I've already settled on a Vypyr.

Just a question... do the people here hate MGs because they're too 'hit or miss', or because they don't like the tone of them? I was playing through one at my local guitar shop today (because someone else was on the JVM for like an hour) and it sounded alright at lower volumes. I didn't have the volume past about 3 though. Nowhere near as good as the other Marshalls, but nowhere near as bad as everyone here makes them out to be.

What's the go?

they aren't bad until you play them right next to a better amp. your vypr, for example, will blow that thing right out of the water if you played them right next to each other. unless you also had played on a tube amp for several weeks, you wouldn't really notice a difference if you just sat down in front of one.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Yeah... nah I get it, I used to play through a Cube 30 at school and I usually play through a JVM, and yeah, they blow it out of the water.

But I saw someone describe it as a 'box of angry bees'... while it's not as good as all the above listed amps, it wasn't unlistenable, if you know what I mean?

The sad thing is, it sounded miles better than the piece of shit amp I have now... it's worse than a Spider III.
People probably down them because they are most likely trying to use a MG50dfx in a band setting. I have a 50dfx and it sounds great at low volumes... Once you crank it up loud enough to keep up with a drummer, it sounds like a fart. I think these amps are awesome sounding if they are used the right way. I use a Marshall 1959 100 watt super lead with my band and when I go to use my mg50dfx and low volume bedroom practice, I still think it sounds great. I've also had mine for six years without problems other than the fan making funny noises sometimes. Peace bitches.
its not worse than any spider imo, but people rip on fender fm65 too...and I used to play one and it sounded great, absolute clearest cleans.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Heres why I dont like them...

1)Overpriced
2)Comes in stack form
3)Isn't a Marshall in the first place
4)People buy them just because it has a Marshall logo
5)Sounds horrid at higher volumes
6)Quality
Quote by IbanezPsycho

1)Overpriced
2)Comes in stack form
6)Quality

+999999999999999

THESE AMPS SHOULD BURN
The search feature is your friend. There are more than enough closed Marshall MG threads that all contain the exact same questions, responses, comments, opinions, jokes, etc.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

1)Overpriced
2)Comes in stack form
6)Quality

I used to have one and I agree with IbanezPsycho. New they cost way too much. Mine was used and I got it dirt cheap but I still felt like I got ripped off.

I also agree with bored_maniac33. My Vypyr blows that MG away and it was alot cheaper too.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Yeah... nah I get it, I used to play through a Cube 30 at school and I usually play through a JVM, and yeah, they blow it out of the water.

But I saw someone describe it as a 'box of angry bees'... while it's not as good as all the above listed amps, it wasn't unlistenable, if you know what I mean?

The sad thing is, it sounded miles better than the piece of shit amp I have now... it's worse than a Spider III.

see, now i thot my spider III was better than the MG.

anyway, yea, i see your point. they definitely arent beyond usable by any means.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Tone. The first time I plugged into an MG I asked the sales guy if there was something wrong with it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
look guys, we don't need yet another thread bashing MGs, so just end this and find something better to do.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

We ought to have some sort of sticky about these amps... I dunno how though. But every day there's a 'why do people hate MGs/Spiders' thread.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
I hate mine because it sounds like shit lol

I was a n00b when I bought it (I didnt actually buy it, and I barely remember being there when it was bought) and I have never really used it, but when I do I cant stand the sound

I play 7 strings and you just can hear anything, its just noise no definition or anything, its mud city, very fuzzy distortion, whether you're playing lead of rhythm it just doesnt work

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I dont understand what people mean by unreliable tbh. I baught a two year only MG halfstack (yeah i know, big mistake) second hand about 2 years ago and I gig weekly with and its lasted. And i put it through the s**t, seriously once i dropped it in the carpark and it was still fine.
My lead guitarist stood on top of it during a gig, and was stamping right on the head and its still ok lol. However thas just my experiance, im sure many of your mgs have died on you, (that's if you've actually got one and are not just jumping on the bandwagon)

But yet again the tone is awful, thats why im considering getting a JVM.
Guitar: Fender Standard Tele

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20
Quote by Birchall17
I have one and I hate it, I can't wait until I can afford a better amp.

im doing the exact same thing ahahaha

hughes and kettner here i comeeeeeeeee...

buit ya to the thread starter, the tone sucks, it just sounds horrible and its very unreliable, i cant use my od channel any more cus it blew out or somethin, honestly its not even worth having someone fix it