Hey Guys,

I've self-taught myself electric guitar for about 4 years now and I can play to a decent standard. However, there are too many times where I feel that I need to make the step up in every aspect of playing. I feel as if I have gone as far as I can go teaching myself and I really want to improve aspects such as my knowledge of scales, precision, UBER speed, chords etc

I have a pretty decent knowledge of chords and positions on the fretboard but it is definitely not good enough in order to progress.

I was wondering, aged 19 whether you feel it is too late to get lessons, start to learn theory and really knuckle down with this? Also, are there any other things that you can recommend to push myself up to the next level?

Thanks

Sean
go home grandpa

no but there's lots of lessons on here, otherwise just get a teacher, dont bother with grades learn at your own pace.
I am 18, self taught for about 4 years, and I don't plan on getting lessons anytime soon. It certainly isn't too late to get lessons. Randy Rhoads constantly had a guitar teacher with him and took lessons almost every day. I'd say use the internet, teach yourself theory, just do a little research. Thats just my opinion, I know there are people out there who will tell you to get lessons in a heartbeat, but I think people can become really unique guitar players when they teach themselves instead of learning a fixed way of doing things, but if you really want lessons it is never too late to take some.
Quote by in2thesun88
I am 18, self taught for about 4 years, and I don't plan on getting lessons anytime soon. It certainly isn't too late to get lessons. Randy Rhoads constantly had a guitar teacher with him and took lessons almost every day. I'd say use the internet, teach yourself theory, just do a little research. Thats just my opinion, I know there are people out there who will tell you to get lessons in a heartbeat, but I think people can become really unique guitar players when they teach themselves instead of learning a fixed way of doing things, but if you really want lessons it is never too late to take some.

this always seems to be the argument i hear 'you wont be unique' i sound nothing like my old guitar teacher or any of his other students, everyone plays differently.
learning scales and theory allow you to write music easier, makes it easier to play whats in your head.
Quote by stephen_rettie
this always seems to be the argument i hear 'you wont be unique' i sound nothing like my old guitar teacher or any of his other students, everyone plays differently.
learning scales and theory allow you to write music easier, makes it easier to play whats in your head.

I wasn't saying you won't be unique, but it will take time to learn how to take what you've learned and make it into something that people haven't really heard before. I know players who play just like their guitar teacher, and I know players who took what they learned and made it their own. I've just found that people are more willing to try things out when they aren't really sure quite what they are doing, but thats just personal experience so I won't speak for the guitar community in general.